Holding steady

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by backwoodsbucks22, Jul 31, 2014.

1. backwoodsbucks22

backwoodsbucks22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest problem when shooting long range (40+) is holding steady on the target. All the bows these days are so accurate that any groups over 1" at 40+ yards is user error I would think for the most part. So to you guys dropping em in from long range, what tips would you give to hold steadier on the target? ( I already know to aim for the center of the center)

Also, do you guys hold the pin on the center of your target for a second then release, or do you release as soon as the pin is there? When I hold for more than a half second my pin starts floating around on the target.

Thanks!

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forget about holding steady, focus on proper form and shot execution at 10 yards until it becomes muscle memory. This is usually a 5000 shot process.

Once this is done, then you can focus 100% on the X ring at full draw. Trust the float, stare at the X, and let your subconscious execute a perfectly timed and crisp shot. Watch the arrow hit the X ring. Repeat.

The best archers in the world float. But they trust the float and stare at the middle and that's where the arrow goes.

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Truth. I became a lot better shot at long distance when I learned this and put it into practice.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't fight the float, accept it. Just let the pin float slowly squeeze and you will do very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. benlwilson

benlwilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How much should I be looking at the level on my sight, and making sure my sight housing is centered in my peep when I am aiming. I find myself trying to keep things centered and leveled, and then having to put the pin back on target after I do. Any suggestion's/aiming tips. I like the advice given so far, just wondering what I should focus on during the shot/aiming process.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Build a shot process that includes the level and centering the peep housing. Write it down. Develop an acronym using a letter for each step in the process and put a piece of tape on the inside of your riser. Make it part of your shot process to walk through each letter in that acronym mentally before each shot. This is part of that 5000 arrow process of making all this part of muscle memory. When I was still shooting competitively and started working with a coach years ago I did this exercise and it helped tremendously. My shot process looked like this.....

- Feet (Squared to target)
    - Hips (Over feet, don't lean back)
    - Shoulders (Squared to target)
    - Relax (Release all tension from shoulders, bow arm, neck, etc)
    - Acquire (Look at target, stare at the X)
    - Envision (Envision what the perfect shot looks and feels like and mentally picture the arrow hitting the X)
    - Draw (High rear elbow, don't build tension in shoulders, build tension in back)
    - Anchor (Come to anchor point)
    - Center (Level, center pin housing)
    - X (Stare at the X, trust the float, and let the shot happen subconciously)
    - Finish (When pulling through the shot have a physical touch point on draw shoulder that release hand touches to finish the shot)

I know this sounds complicated, but if you write it down, put it on your bow, and execute 5000 shots while walking through each of those steps in your mind at a distance of 10 yards, your shooting when you start to step back will improve dramatically. I don't shoot competitively anymore but when my shooting starts to fall apart I focus on each step in this process and magically things come together pretty quickly.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  7. backwoodsbucks22

backwoodsbucks22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting advice, and great advice. Im pretty surprised to hear that every else floats too. I thought that was just a problem I had with not being steady. Keep the advice coming! Already cant wait to go home and shoot, and shoot, and shoot some more :)

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    awesome advice guys! I'm finding myself with a bit of target panic, and punching the trigger. I'm going to use your steps Matt!

9. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can not hold on dots like shooting at a bag but if I shoot at a 3d deer I have no problem I have always been that way even shooting a rifle I can not shoot targets but have no problem shooting a deer I never can hold steady on a dot

10. slong

slong Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome advice. Thanks for sharing.

11. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice!! Always remember to breathe. I notice that sometimes on those longer more tough shots I don't breathe as well. When I take slow deep breaths it seems to really help not sway as much as I am floating.

12. headhunter15

headhunter15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice this is wat makes archery fun learning

13. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your expecting 1 inch groups at 40 your putting way to much pressure on yourself. Don't try to hard. Let it float and let your shot happen.

14. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one inch groups from 40yrds but I have one arrow that strays to the right what can I do to fix that?

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Awesome Advice^

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great Point SparrowHawk! I shoot tighter groups when I focus in my breathing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  17. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some phenomenal advice here! Good stuff Matt. Great thread guys.

18. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great info above ^^^

Biggest thing for me on the long shots, close shots too for that matter, is to have that grip right on the handle and to pull through the shot using my back muscles to help release the trigger. Stare at the spot you want to hit and learn to trust yourself.

19. bplayer405

bplayer405 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mark the arrow that strays and spin it on a spin tester. You may find it wobbles at some point along its length. Had the same problem last year. Had two that strayed out of 6 I bought. One wobbled on the point end and the other at the nock end. Can't be fixed other than be replaced.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  20. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Along with what bplayer said, I number all of my arrows with a fine point sharpie. If I start having an arrow that seems to have a mind of it's own then I start paying attention to which one it is. Sometimes I find it's just the last arrow I shoot in a group and I'm just not as focused on the shot as I was for the first couple. Otherwise if it is the same arrow then I start looking it over to verify the nock is aligned to the vanes like the others, that the vanes are not damaged or off a little from fletching, etc..