Hunting with quivers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WIbowhunter12, Jul 30, 2014.

1. WIbowhunter12

WIbowhunter12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of hunting with a quiver on your bow?

2. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was told that if you practice with it on, you should hunt with it on, or vice versa. The only thing I could see is it pulling you slightly off center with it on due to the additional weight. I personally shoot with it on and haven't had any problems. I use the level on my sight to make sure the bow isn't tilted. I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

-Andrew

3. Shaun Frazier

Shaun Frazier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing valuable to add other than I agree and practice as rustyreno suggested.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

4. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a detachable quiver. I practice with it off and take it off once I get into the stand. I think you have a greater chance of getting busted by leaving it on especially with brightly colored fletching as that is just more mass to draw attention to you if you have to move the bow much to take the shot. It also blocks your vision somewhat at full draw. It might make it a little harder to see a bigger deer following the one your looking at or to see the deer step out from behind a tree or brush. Just my opinion anyway. I'm sure a lot of guys hunt with them on and do just fine.

5. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To clarify the brightly colored fletching comment, here in Missouri your archery tag allows for 2 deer and 2 turkey. The brightly colored fletching moving around will definitely spook a turkey. Probably not as big of deal with deer.

6. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to take mine off, but on my new bow I like the way the quiver balances everything. I have a Carbon Spyder 34 with a tight spot quiver and it seems much more level with the quiver on. But as we all know everyone is different.

7. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I take mine off once I get in the stand but I practice with it both off and on just in case I were to find myself in a situation where I may have to take a shot with it on. For me it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

8. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always practiced with and hunted with my quiver attached. Recently it's started to get a little noisier than I'd like (2008 Bowtech Allegiance with G5 quiver same year) so I took it off and have been practicing with it off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I leave mine one. Paid off once when I had to make a quick follow up shot after a branch deflection. Only time I take it off is when transporting it in my case.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I take my quiver off and hang it separately. I hang it on the same arm my bow is on but I slide it all the way up against the tree, so it's really very little extra movement or time if I were to need to grab another arrow. It's one less thing that can stick out and get caught on a limb or make noise bumping something. Just personal preference, I've hunted with it on in the past and wouldn't bother me to do it again if I wanted to.

11. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X2. this exactly. Except...mine was a clean miss. No branch involved. :p

12. benlwilson

benlwilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with mine on. Hunting mule deer spot and stalk in the West makes is a necessity. If I were to hunt from a tree stand, I would probably take it off.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^what he said^ I do the same!

14. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I take mine off, but I also make sure that I place the quiver in a spot that i can quickly access my arrows for a follow up shot. It paid off in 2009 when I miss my first shot on a 135". I was able to get another arrow from the quiver, knock it, and make the second shot count.

15. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go both ways depending on whether I'm in a stand, blind or stalking. If you even think you might shoot with it on your bow be sure to shoot with it fully loaded with arrows. Watch out for noise made by the fletching vibrating and touching each other when shooting. I have a 5 arrow quiver but only carry 4 (3 stay in the quiver and one comes out to be nocked when I'm settled). This leaves enough space between the remaining 3 that the fletching doesn't touch when shooting.

16. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I leave mine on

17. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm in a stand and i have a way to hang it on something else that still gives me quick access to it, like a tree within reach, ill take it off. If i can't hang it on something that makes it quick to grab another arrow ill just leave it on. In my found blinds ill cut a 2X4 down to the height of my blinds, cut on end to a point and drive it into the ground. Makes a great bow hanger/whatever else you want to hang on it.

18. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I take mine off. I used to leave it on but there have been times my arrows caught the tree stand or something when I was getting ready to draw on a deer and make too much noise and scare them off so I just take it off as soon as I get in the tree. And when I'm sho shooting in my yard it's off as well.

19. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For stand hunting, I take it off. I hunt in area of the country with pretty good winds. Quiver catches wind in a crosswind compromising accuracy of the shot.

I have it on branch or screw in for easy accessibility if I need to quickly get another arrow.

20. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The one thing I have to move to shoot is the bow so I try to keep it as clean as possible to reduce noise or chance it getting hung up. Plus a quiver of arrows with bright fletching being moved increased the chance of being seen. So I keep the quiver off whenever possible. The bow with the quiver attached on it is a great all-in-one package but just doesn't work that well for the way I hunt.