I will be able to see blood!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mab, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I wish I would have known about this before. Just found out today by talking to my sporting goods buddy in walmart that they will have in store a 'light' that can be used for hunters to spot a blood trail. I knew that police and detectives have used a light for crime scenes to find blood. Did not know there was something like that for hunters. I am color-blind. I have an awful time seeing blood. Often times I have to have someone else track for me as I am not able to see the blood trail. Whoo hoo. I am excited. This will help me a ton. Has anyone ever used this type of light to follow a blood trail? If so, let me know how well it worked for ya. I heard it even works well during daylight hours. Very cool.

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have never used one but they have been available for several years now.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe most Blue lights can be used to track blood, looks almost black but it stands out compared to other things.

4. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm red-green color blind and need a buddy to track with me. I can usually only see it once it's been pointed out or if it's puddled up like when a deer beds down. I'll keep an eye on this product as I've been looking for something like this for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think that it will work like the light that you see on CSI to pick up blood because all of the ones that I've used sure don't... Marketing gimmick.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome that you can finally be able to see blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get too excited. From what I've heard, it's no different than any other flashlight :nana:

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are several brands that make them. I actually have one that I bought from Sportsmans Guide and it does actually help.

10. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Primos has had one out for a few years now. Not sure what they call it.

11. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always thought they were gimmicks as they don't make the blood stand out other than it appears more black. Maybe I'm wrong. But if you are having trouble because of being color blind it couldn't hurt I'm sure.

13. CCase26

CCase26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to break it to ya but the only reason the blood lights up for detectives is because of the fluorescein and hydro peroxide they spray under the light to find the blood.

14. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check Ebay before you buy anywhere. They have several on there that are cheaper than walmart even with shipping.

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also color blind and have had one of those lights for a few years now. It makes for a great flashlight on the regular setting but does me no good whatsoever when it comes to finding blood with the "blood" setting. The best light you can ever use to find blood is a good old Coleman gas lantern. I don't know what it is about the light they give off, but I have never seen anything work better.

16. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Primos one and it makes the blood look black. And I see no help during daylight hours. I would try before you buy if you can. The best for night time tracking to me is a Coleman Lantern. You can use a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide to see if it bubbles but you need to find what you think it blood first. I think your best bet is having a buddy who is a good tracker. That works best for me. Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

17. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget that CSI investigators need to completely spray the room down with Luminol to be able to see the blood. It's not the flashlight that shows the blood, it's the combination of the luminol and the blue light. Yes, you could do that in the woods, but it's gonna cost you about $20 for 8 oz. 8 oz. will go quick when you're tracking through the woods.

All you do it mix it with water....Would I consider getting some if I was in a situation like yours of not finding a deer or finding it? Yep. Might cost you a hundred or so, but you'll bring home the deer.

Not to mention you'd have to wait until it gets dark or at least darker.. outside.

But it can easily be done.

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They suck. I won one at the original G2G....it was an AWESOME regular light, but when I clicked it to blood tracking I couldn't see ****. No idea what the hype was about, everything just looked darker.

A super bright regular light is perfect for seeing blood. I don't know how you can improve on that at all.

19. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's different if you can't see red in the first place?

20. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can see some red. Like Whitetail posted, it make blood look black. Not sure if that will help either. Guess what I am going to have to do is just try some different ideas that everyone has suggested here. Just see what works best. After a bit of trial, I will post what I find. If any others that are color blind beat me to it, please let me know what you find. Thanks everyone.