Dan Perez advocates for 'centerpunch' over traditional lung/heart shot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swampthing, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did any of you see this on Whitetail Properties? Thoughts?

Personally I thought it was a pathetic attempt to justify a poor shot.

2. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did not see this.... Was be basically telling people to shoot deer in the guts?

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is it on the internet by chance? Would love to see it and hear his exact words.

4. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what it seems to me.

Will a center mass shot kill them? of course, but that is not idea

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    TV hunter? Since when did they develop credibility?

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What does it mean by center punch? Is it just the center of the deers body at the point where the horizontal and vertical axis meet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a little preview clip of this online the other day and thought to myself "People will do anything to attract attention to themselves".

Advocating for the "centerpunch" shot is irresponsible IMO. Liver shooting a deer does NOT guarantee a quick, clean kill or recovery no matter what they say.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Does he mean "Center" as in up/down vs. low for a heart?

If that's the case I wouldn't entirely disagree, especially from a treestand.

If "center" means front to back, then he's off.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a link to the FB page with the video:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152324658228510&set=vb.62949373509&type=2&theater

I'm of a mixed opinion here. In the video graphic they are showing a bullseye in the lung area which is okay. Describing it as a center punch is odd and misleading, you certainly don't want liver alone and definitely not gut shots.

Without talking to the guy in person for clarification I'd tell him to eff off but I can see room for him to have a point and be okay too. I'm going to keep my target area right where it's at directly behind a front leg and preferably with facing leg slightly forward.

11. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone that has watched Dan Perez on Whitetail Properties TV knows that he's been gut shooting deer for years. Intentional or not, I don't know, but he makes some of the worst shots I've seeen on camera.

12. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    He meant center-mass, which puts his target not too far in front of the guts.

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Beat me by a second posting the link, lol.
    The follow up vid is him trying to salvage his butt....didn't work, I still see him as a slob and probably always will. I disagree with him on shoulder shots. I've probably killed more deer than he's ever laid hands on and have never had a problem with shoulders. Two last year with shoulder shots that dropped within 60 yards and one at 50 shot at 20 and 30 yards respectively. The third was a double lung and dropped 40-50 yards in sight. Maybe he should stop hunting with other slobs and get some experience doing it right.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call him a slob hunter, I think that's pushing it a bit. I personally like Dan and think he's a very knowledgeable deer hunter.

However that doesn't mean I don't disagree with him on this. Yes, he's correct if you're a touch forward you'll be in the shoulder which significantly decreases your chances for success - especially with a big mechanical broadhead like he's advocating for. With a strong fixed blade that's another story. However using that same reasoning if you're a bit back on the center punch you're into the liver and guts, which also decreases your chances of a recovery and prolongs the death of the animal. Any way you cut it shooting outside of the heart/lungs is dicey at best.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know the guy or watch the show so I'll take your word for the fact he's not a slob hunter. It's just that from what he's saying his opinion is and practices are...it seems slobbish to me. But, I don't like that shot placement ideology/reasoning or expandable broadheads. I've read a lot of comments from folks that say he gut shoots a lot of deer and has for years so it seems to accumulate into an overall image of him being a slob, a slob hunter to me being someone that shoots a lot of deer and wounds a lot of them making long and/or non-recoveries.

16. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow... Just watched it. First off in the diagrams of deer to me it looked like the lungs were way too far back, the placement he is showing looks all liver to me. Second, if bows do have more kinetic energy, shouldn't that just be an excuse to shoot them closer to the shoulder since bows now have a better chance of passing through? I know deer shot center mass will die, but why would you advocate for that??

17. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly!

18. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^This

19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yet you earlier claimed to have killed more deer than he's ever laid hands on. LOL

I won't go as far as saying center mass is a good starting point, but I will wholeheartedly agree w the logic that hitting a touch back is far far better than hitting the shoulder IMO. Maybe not up in the scapula w a fixed blade, but down in the lower shoulder (heart level) no BH is busting through. Lost my first buck ever on that exact shot back in January actually.

I tend to shy away from the shoulder a hair myself, but I certainly wouldn't aim halfway back on an animal.

20. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "but down in the lower shoulder (heart level) no BH is busting through" - You are spot on again. One of the shows I watched on here last year really blew me away on that. It happens to everyone, but if you watched the video that I am talking about, I will not mention any names - :p, you know what I am talking about. I think it might have even been a crossbow shot from the ground at pretty close range. I thought dead deer at first glance and could not believe the limited penetration because of that shoulder bone.