Maryland Hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CMTRAV, Jul 30, 2014.

1. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Possibly moving to Maryland in the next 3 months and wanted to know what to expect in obtaining access to hunt and public hunting. We will be moving to the Washington DC, Baltimore or Eastern Shore area. Thanks for all the help

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lastoneout is the guy to talk to when it comes to that area. I think he may hunt some public and also has permission to hunt other land.

You'll get plenty of tags.

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Private land here is very hard to come by unless you know people or Willing to pay a lot. Public areas around me get very crowded but I don't know about the rest of the state. Do you have a choice on which area your moving to? If so skip the first two and go to the eastern shore, stay away from Baltimore/DC

4. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    And if you do move here let me know and I may be able to bring you to the farm I hunt once or twice this fall since you won't have much time to find land.

5. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. It all really depends on my wifes job. She is up for two jobs and we are just going to see what happens. One is in DC and one is in Anne Arundel county. So then we will decide what we are going to do.

6. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Then I would definitely look at the shore, the bay bridge can be a pain in the *** in the summer but to me it would be worth it to live away from Annapolis/Baltimore

7. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info I definitely will let you know.

8. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any other questions let me know. I've lived in Howard county (halfway between Baltimore and DC) my entire life. I hunt the counties surrounding mine, the county I live in and also on the eastern shore. The licenses are easy to acquire. We have unlimited doe tags. Archery runs from beginning of September thru January 31st. One buck per weapon plus a bonus buck tag to be used with any weapon during any season.

I hunt private land but have been scouting and finding more public land west of where I live. Looking to get more involved with public in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been working in DC for the last ten years. I am now in Fredericksburg VA. I have told all the new folks pick the location on the commute. For me I take the VRE train. I would not plan to drive in every day many do I could not. I would look at the train, bus or metro Problem with the metro you do not get out of the city far enough to be in the country Most if not all of the military bases have a hunting program and most have a archery only area or the entire base. When I came here they invented mortgage medication as I came from the boom town of Erie PA. I could have got a large farm 10 from town for what a townhouse cost :) If I can help PM me

10. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Big tracts of private land are hard to come by unless you wanna pay for it. However if you put in a little effort door to door you can snag some property. Do your self a favor an stay away from DC. I don't hunt AA co much but can tell you if you land a few properties around there you will have a great chance at a P&Y buck. Not to sure about public land down there as I don't hunt it but I think they opened a brand new 500acre piece somewhere in AA co last year. I am just kinda rambling now I'm about an hour away from AA I mainly find myself in that neighborhood for BPS and that's about it.

If I was in your shoes I would just move to the eastern shore around Chestertown and once you get property's lined up I'll come up and hunt them with you!

Oh we also have sika deer on the eastern shore

Any other questions fire away

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  11. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just one piece of advice....if you are working on the Baltimore-DC side of the Bay Bridge and think about commuting to the eastern shore, drive it once on a Friday in the summer to see if you can handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of deer around Chestertown! I was born there and have greats aunts and uncles around there. Always drive back roads when I go to visit!

13. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan my buddy has property down there that he usually let's me hunt a couple times a year it's great. A lot of big deer.

14. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Born and raised in AA Co (Pasadena) to be exact... But now in Hanover Pa. The 500acres that Lastoneout mentioned has been open for several yrs now....It's in Crownsville to be exact just slightly out of Annapolis... Nice piece of property but can be a headache as well... 1 place to park which can be a hike from the decent spots to get anything big... Also very hilly as well, the good thing though is there are numerous public lands that you call and get a reservation on 8 days in advance and these properties have limits on them to the amount of hunters per day. AA Co has suffered though the last 15-20 yrs of private lands... Families have sold out to builders and houses have taken over.... But the ES is still great, but again there are a lot of public land spots around the area that hold big deal.... Look at your WMA and CWMA lands...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014