Cameras on public land?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HunterC., Jul 29, 2014.

1. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I got a spot not far from our lease that is public land and I would like to hunt it some this fall. It is an archery only area and I would like to try for a doe in there. I know deer are there but I was wanting to put up a camera just to see what is coming through but since it is public land it could get stolen. I have a cheap wildgame Innovations cam that I would use so if it was to get stolen it wouldn't be a huge lose. I don't see many people in there but I do see a few. I could take my climber and place it high angled down so it would be harder to take.

My question is would you put up a cam and risk it getting stolen to see what is coming through or not??

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my cameras are on public land. Hide them well or they will grow legs.

3. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think, in order to answer that question, the biggest question I would have is how many ppl hunt that area? I think if you put the camera higher up in a tree, the 'chance' that someone would mess with it would be slimmer. The only other unfortunate thing you would have to do is visit the area often to check to see if someone has actually found it and/or stolen it. If you do put it up, good luck and let us know the outcome.

4. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking about putting one up on public land as well to get an idea of what's moving where. I know there are deer all over and some nice bucks but if I can add another piece to he puzzle and figure out more on the movement that would be great.

I would use my cover mp6 black with a python cable then probably hang it a little higher like said above. I'm still unsure about it but I guess I'll have to decide here kinda soon to make it worth it.

5. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used cams on public land many times without them getting stolen. I always take the time to hide them to the best of my ability, once it's set up back off to the most likely place someone will pass by. If you can see it from there you should move it until you can't. There's always a chance it could get stolen, but to me it's worth the risk in some cases.

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just be sure to check your state laws. Illegal here in Illinois to put them on public land.

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Uh Oly...

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep didn't realize that. Seems kind of stupid.

9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a link to that ?

10. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes please. I didnt realize that. Never seen anything about it. I already have one up and was going to another spot soon to put up another :/

Sent from my SCH-I535

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I've never heard of anything but I could be wrong. I just want to see something from the dnr on it.

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If that's true, it's yet another stupid law in this ridiculous state. Never heard of that before.
    I will say that I know for a fact that in Illinois recording someone's audio (voice) w/o permission is a crime, so maybe that's where he's getting that premise. I don't know how taking still shot pics on public land is a crime, but then again in this state who knows.

13. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 4 cams and they are all on public land. I have never had them messed with but by bears. Been lucky I guess.

14. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in New York not a chance!

15. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would get a lock box for it. I wanted to do this in a large area in RI but as grommel says fat chance.

16. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just had one of mine stolen when I went to check it last weekend. It had been there 14 days so who knows when it was stolen. It was public land and I had it LOCKED to the tree with a cable and lock and they still cut it off and took everything with them.

First time I have had to deal with a scum bag like that in the 3 years I have been running them hard on public land here.

17. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will find it tonight when I have access to a computer

18. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glenn I ran 3 cameras last year all summer and into the season on Public Land out east....only had one taken when I was stupid and just really wanted to check out a particular spot...kinda knew it would happen but took a shot anyway. Usually I put them where no one will see/find them off the regular/common path...Hunters here are lazy and don't really go too far into the woods.

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard of it being illegal in Illinois... but Illinois is so stupid it wouldn't surprise me.

I've put them out on public land in IL back in the day. I hid them so good that sometimes the deer couldn't even find them. :)

I put them out here on public land too. Not illegal and haven't had anyone mess with them yet. I still hid them really good. I'm too paranoid to put one in an obvious spot like a water hole. Luckily I had them all pulled when the fire went up the canyon.

20. 1jody256

1jody256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you know a lot of people scout or hunt a certain area,hide them well,had someone turn mine in the opposite direction but never had one stolen.maybe sasquatch was messing with me!