Who Has The Worst Bowhunting Neighbors?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by timcon, Jul 29, 2014.

1. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who out there thinks that they may have the worst possible neighbor to their bowhunting property ... and what have they done .. or makes them bad neighbors ? :mad::mad:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The neighbors next to the property I hunt found my first deer (6 point) before I did and chopped off the head. The coyotes devoured the rest.

3. hoythunter342

hoythunter342 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy knows a couple guys that hunt a lease and the neighbors around the lease would put garbage bags over their trail cams so they wouldnt get any pics. Thats messed up!!!!!!!

4. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in the suburbs, the neighbor in the house next to the one I hunt also hunts. But hunts over my spot occasionally and will complain about our setup....he spends most of his tree stand time trespassing on the next neighbors property.....

5. The Butcher

The Butcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only had one incident that was a fluke. I wouldn't necessarily call them bad neighbors. Had three deer coming in on a string and the neighbors decided to go for an evening ride on the four wheelers. Didn't bother them much until the neighbors daughter saw the deer and started yelling LOOK AT THE DEER! THEYRE RUNNING LOOK! I don't have any hard feelings over it, just a one time thing.

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks, who's property was it on?

7. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a cousin in Mich that used to own @ 13 acres. My first deer, a huge doe, was shot at by a neighbor. He missed and the doe came right into where I was sitting. I shot her at 10 yards. Dropped her right in her tracks. I was using a 12-gauge. About 4 or 5 days later, the neighbor was shooting at me from his house. About 400-500 yards away with a rifle. Guess he wasn't happy that I got 'his' doe.

8. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ours. There is a range of people it could have been so we weren't in the position to really take action, which also sucked.

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, that's not cool.

10. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    During shotgun season the guy who owns the neighboring property to my father in law will drive his little truck right down the edge of the property then parks his truck about 50 yards for our treestand. Then about 20 min after sunrise they will start walking around trying to "find deer" by walking through the thick stuff and crossing the property line fence.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has to be Atlas. He has the worst neighbor. The guy uses a recurve!

12. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We had some old ladies that lived next to the property we hunt. They would come out at daylight with pots and pans banging them and yelling if they knew we were hunting. They would drive down the road honking their horn and making as much noise as possible. My grandfather shot a deer that ran onto their property so he got in his truck and drove to their house to ask for permission to retrive it. That cussed us and yelled and threatened to have us arrested and everything. He ended calling a wildlife officer and had them go with him to retirve the deer. The ladies were very upset yelling at the officer and stuff. He had a long talk with them and we never had a problem with them after that day. That's probably my only experiance with dad neighbors.

13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin has been hunting this parcel of public land for over 20 years. We now hunt it as a family group every year. Back when it was just my cousin who hunted it, there was a dirt county road that was the property line separating it from private.

Well, the road partially washed out and the county stopped maintaining it. The owner of the private land decided that the road was "his" and chain locked it off, essentially blocking access to another 40 parcel that was only accessible by either walking his property, that road, or slogging through a nasty public land swamp. My cousin asked the guy for access to the road, which he granted and gave my cousin a key to the lock.

So, my cousin takes his 4 wheeler and stand down the path, and sets up. A few hours later the DNR officer comes walking back to his area and calls him down from the stand. "Mr. Smith says you trespassed on his two-track with that 4 wheeler w/o his permission, and since this is public land you can't use a 4 wheeler on it. So you either trespassed on private or illegally drove on public." Either way they were going to ticket him.

He argued with the officer that he had permission, and took her back to the gate to show her he had a key. Dude had changed the lock; it was brand new w/o any rust. So they go to the dude's front door and there's a package of master locks w/ one lock out of the pack sitting on the porch. Needless to say, officer cut my cousin loose with a "friendly" warning to get permission in writing next time. Once the officer left there was nearly a bad butt whipping.

That was over 10 years ago and to this day both Mr. Smith and his son will drive by our campsite late at night revving the crap out of their engines trying to wake us up or whatever. Guy is even a (gun only) hunter himself. Dude's just nuts. Hates the fact that we hunt "his" neighboring parcels, even though they're public and if it wasn't us it would be someone else, probably not as considerate of property lines.

14. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the areas that we hunt we have lost 7-8 real nice 20 ft. ladder stands and probably that many trail cams. I like to think that we are helping to encourage hunting with at least the criminal element of the neighborhood.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No my property but fits this thread. There is a county park local that has some great deer sign. I asked the landowner next to it for permission. In case I needed to track a deer, plus trying to get a little farther in from the fields. He said no and was rude and beligerent. Then anytime he saw my truck he would walk his entire property line trying to catch me trespassing. I never would that's why I asked permission. I had to stop hunting that public land because he ruined every hunt doing this.

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hearing some of these makes me feel lucky.

I don't really have a bad neighbor but my Mom's bf is an a**. He will constantly drive the four wheeler around the property and cut through places that I have a stand set up. Does a bunch of other little things that just makes me not even want to hunt there anymore.

Actually, my one neighbor cruises the property line on his fourwheeler, going about 3mph. The whole time he is staring into our property.

17. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't during bow season but I once had a guy fire off a round at my father and then myself later the same morning. Thought we were trespassing when he was the one on my buddys land.

18. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the places I hunt on my parents property, we have ~90 acres but its a strip of land no wider than 500ft at it's widest point. The neighbors just shoot anything (its brown; its down).

But luckily they only rifle hunt so the first month and a half is quiet