Going for Bear, Have HHA, What Broadhead?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by No.6Hunter, Jul 29, 2014.

1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So this will be my first year bear hunting and I am wondering what broadhead to use? (Rage 2 Blade, Toxic, NAP Bloodrunner 3) My first thought was stick with fixed but, is it necessary?

So after I figure out what broadhead to use then my second concern would be draw weight? Do you really need that high of poundage for a bear?

Another reason I posted this is I use a HHA, and when I change my poundage I have to change my tape, right? I shoot a league where low poundage helps due to the number of shoots you have to take so I was wondering, How many people who shoot the HHA, have multiple poundage on their tape? and how do you set it up?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put a second tape next to the track the bolts run in.[​IMG] I use that for a heavier arrow. As for bear, 60 pounds and up should be fine for black bear with a heavy arrow. Personally I would stay with a fixed head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I sight it in at 25 yards and lock it down and leave it throw away the tape, with a little practice you can shoot out to 45 yards without moving the pin

4. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    So is your second tape the same size or did you have to trim it down?

5. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I trimmed it down a little.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anything that you use for whitetail will work for black bear, with some caveats. Without knowing your setup I would error on the side of caution and suggest a cut on contact head, like a muzzy phantom or slick trick razor trick. The rage should work but do not use a over the top expandable. I did not believe it either until I witnessed first hand in spring bear camp when a over the top mechanical failed to open because it got tangled in the fur of the bear. Most guides will recommend a fixed blade which is why I use either a QAD Exodus or Muzzy Phantom CS for bear.

what is your current setup now? Such as poundage, draw length, bow and arrow?

7. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    For mechanical the only one I'd use is the trophy taker ulmer edge stainless steel

8. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently using the Mathews Z7 at around 60# at 28.5DL. I will be using Gold Tip Pro Hunter XT's

9. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your bow setup is just fine.. Any good deer setup will also be good for bears. I've taken three bears with a bow and never changed my setup when I got in the deer stand.

10. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My setup did not change for bear from deer. I did go with the intention of shooting slick tricks but ended up shooting my bear with a rage 2 blade which at 20 yds, 65 lb. draw wt. had a complete pass through. Bear went all of twenty yards and gave up the ghost. If you will hunting over bait a 20 to 30 yard shot is normal so you should not have to fiddle with your pin, set and forget.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok good, The rages or any fixed blade broad head you already have will work fine. Just please steer clear of over the top expandables. Have people killed bears with them, most definitely. But there is a chance that you won't get penetration because the hair binds up the blades. Good luck and remember to take pictures to share.