Im going to do something uncomfortable tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jimmany, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow, for the first time, I am going to go around and ask landowners if I can hunt on there land. I am a bit nervous and I was hoping you guys could give me some tips on how to do it. Thanks a lot!

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dress nicely and act sincere.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    shave. Some people (especially women) really do not trust guys with beards.
    I have a beard. :rock: I hunt public land.:cry:

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try to avoid going at meal times, be positive and get right to the point of your visit. Remember how you feel when someone unknown comes to YOUR door. I always appreciate the person backing off from my door after they knock and then approaching me after I greet them. If the conversation gets that far, you might offer to do some work in exchange for hunting rights. Good luck to you.

Blessings........Pastorjim

5. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bring some bottles of wine as a gift when they say yes. Look for people who pay a lot on landscaping they are most likely eating their shrubs and consider them a nuisance.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SMILE... but not like a Cheshire Cat.

Get to the point... but don't rush things.

No means no... and if you get a no; thank the person and let them know you are still available if you can do anything for them. Don't make being kind to someone dependent on whether or not you get to hunt.

Don't debate someone who may challenge the ethics of hunting... just nicely thank them for their time and leave.

If you get a yes... make sure you ask if they have any special rules you need to obey; certain place to park; whether you need to call every time you go. Some people get really upset if you don't let them know when you are coming.

Have a Google satellite view of the property and show them why and where you would like to hunt their property. Don't say... "I was driving by and saw two huge bucks in your backyard" etc...

Recognize some people do have problems with deer on their property... this may be a good angle.

Be informed... Be tactful... Have making a new friend as your goal.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NO offense to Muzzy Man but I'd leave the Google maps portion of that advice off. There are a lot of people that do not like the idea of having their property searched via satellite before hunting permission is even acquired. It gives them a sense of trespass off the bat even though people know google earth is open all the time and always available for the planet.

Good luck.

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had to do it one time, and luckily for me it went well. It was a 100 acre piece (still currently hunt it) and i used the angle/approach of my son hunting with me, and keeping an eye on his property all along the edges because he hates trespassers, he wanted to post signs but hasnt gotten around to it. this past winter (first year having permission) I posted the entire property for him, every 50 feet a no hunting/trespassing sign.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. This is something I have never had success at. I know Pa land owners get asked a lot due to the high number of hunters in this state but you would think the odds eventually would be in my favor. I have lived here 12 years now and never got a yes from any farmer/landowner close by. I even tried letters one year thinking maybe it would be less obtrusive than me walking up can "cold calling". Nope LOL.

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some thing that may help also is when you introduce your self also tell them were you live and what you do for a living ( work ), this helps build a relationship and get the conversation started.

11. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never gone through that because my family owns land, but if the land has their home on it I would emphasize the fact that bowhunting is a good way to control the deer population without them needing to be concerned about someone they don't really know firing a rifle on their land. Also, if you know someone in common with them only bring that up if you know the person you are mentioning has a good reputation. Someone once tried to ask us for permission and mentioned being good friends with a cousin of ours. That cousin is known to get on his four wheeler with a spotlight and a rifle on occasion when he is drunk, needless to say his use of a poorly researched reference did not get him access to our land.

12. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you'll be bow hunting only make sure you state that in your initial query. Some landowners may be adverse to guns being shot on their property but may be ok with an archer.

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would also save the map for a second meeting.

Advice would be to ask a lot of landowners and don't overlook the small properties.

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I brought this up recently at a couple places I asked to hunt. Mainly because the property was so close to public land. One went okay at first then went back to scout the public land again and the guy came running out of his house flipping out because I was on his property when In reality I was on a public road filming one of the biggest bucks I've seen. I think he was upset because I was looking at "his" deer. That went down hill fast but oh well.

The other one I brought it was same type of situation but this guy was very nice and happy I stopped by to figure out the property lines. Because on google it looks like the road goes through to public land but it actually stops on his land. He was more than willing to help track if the deer came close to his property or into it.

To the OP the past few weeks I've had some good encounters and bad with people. Just don't get frustrated when you get denied,, it's going to happen a lot. Just keep trying. Most people are very helpful if you're nice to them. I've had some people send me down the road to so and so that might let me which they didn't have to do but it gave me another shot.

Sent from my iPhone

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sort of a sidebar question for those who have experience with this - better or worse to take your kid (assuming you will be hunting with the kid) with you for the initial inquiry?

Just curious because my dad used to do that with me; and honestly it made me feel very uncomfortable and over 25 years later I still remember how some landowner's reactions were back then...kind of weird to see your dad getting treated like a criminal for just knocking on somebody's door.

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of good suggestions. I will add that you should type up a quick little bio of yourself including the things you are willing to do (help them out on the property, pick up any litter you find, offer them meat, etc.,) and leave it with them including your phone number. Also take blank copies of your state's hunting permission form. Let them know that you don't need an answer now. This will give them space and time to think rather than being put on the spot. Most people will say no if they feel like they need to answer now whereas if they see your patience and give them time to answer they will be more willing.

17. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    TAKE YOUR KID!!!!!!!
    That will increase your odds. Its harder for people to tell a kid no.
    Introduce yourself, tell them where you live, that you want to bow hunt only,(that's another huge plus), what you do for a living. Then tell them that you are there for permission to hunt, tell them that you'll be respectful, wont cause any problems like riding down fences, leaving gates open, you'll do whatever they ask you do, that you just want a place for you and your son(in this case) to spend a little time outdoors. If they say yes, thank them. If they say no, thank them. File in your mind how the "no" went, sometimes if the conversation and flow went good you can come back and get a yes.
    I've asked for permission to hunt in several different states and met a lot of interesting people and made a few good friends that way.

18. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was looking for ground, I would ask to hunt after rifle season when all of there guys where done hunting you will be surprised how many people have a different response to this approach after a few seasons they usually open the whole place to me. By the way don't show up before noon on a weekend people like some peace on the weekend

19. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    No offense taken... I see your point. I was thinking it was indicative that someone has a reason for asking the landowner specifically for permission and not just shot-gunning. Much like knowing about a prospective employer's company before the interview. Maybe have the map but don't show it unless asked about it.

Definitely see your point.

20. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Taking the kid... could backfire as well. If the landowner sees the kid as merely a prop... they may see you as a scumbag. If they believe you are genuinely looking for a safe place to spend quality time with you child... it could help. My knee jerk is be carful with that approach.