How many stands have you hung?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ky Bob, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many stands can you remember hanging over the years? I'm 59 years old and I got to thinking about all the hang-on stands I've hung on the farm I've hunted since 1996. I'm sure I've missed a few but I came up with 54 stand sites which of course means placing and removing and sometimes replacing some back in the same tree. Most of these stands were using the heavy steel Hunters View 24X30" chain-ons that I think weight 21 pounds. I have a system that helped me hang them by placing a T-Screw about two feet above where I wanted the stand and then hooking a Rope Ratchet with 30 feet of 5/8th rope to the T-Screw. Pulled the stand up with my left hand and with the right hand pull the slack out through the rachet. Even doing it this way was a lot of work. I hunted another farm from 1979 to 1996 and probably hung close to 40-50 on it but I was much younger then!!

2. randyf

randyf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To many, sometimes I wonder why I have so many.

3. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    3 full sets so far

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alzheimers--- I still haven't found all the stands I hung last year.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm exactly your age Ky Bob so I guess it's in the hundreds by now. Some years when I first started it was one per year. Now it's sometimes 8-10 per year. I too started out hanging onto the tree with one hand while trying to attach the stand with the other, all without a safety belt. I don't know how I avoided breaking my neck. A few years ago I went and bought a pulley at Lowes, welded it to a bracket and attached a ratchet strap to it. Then I bought a lineman's belt that attaches to my safety harness so I can use both hands safely. Now hanging stands, even by yourself, is a snap.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

6. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have just one new to the sport. I will be hanging one more today at my friends house he lets me hunt his land. He is a disabled vet and I help him out so he can hunt. He is letting me use his and I have one of my own. We are building him a blind. I got him a hunting chair for Christmas. I hope all works out for the both of us.

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome keith!!

For most of my hunting days i was a climber guy. i can't even begin to remember the amount of trees i've climbed!!!
    This is my first year using a LW assault with LW sticks. I've already been in about 6-7 different trees, so much fun!

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe 20 tops, unless you count climbing tress in a climber, then hundreds. 90% of the time when I hunt in Pa I am in a climber and I hunt Pa a lot more than Ohio due to distance (Ohio is too far for a weekday evening hunt). Plus I spent the first 6-7 years of my bowhunting career on the ground.

9. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mainly a climber hunter. Have hunted as many as 30-40 different trees in one season on our clubs land and my land combined.

10. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I can remember standing on railroad spikes or Bridge nails and hanging them one handed!! That was dangerous as could be! Almost as dangerous has my Baker climbing stand.

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've hung probably 30-40 in the past 5 seasons of hunting. Mostly hang On's. I move a stand closer in if I have to so I have hung a lot during learning two properties.

I use a rope that has a loop ties on one end and a carabiner and pulley on the other. I have a knot tied in the rope about 6" from the carabiner which stops the pulley from sliding down the rope. I climb the tree with another rope looped through my harness that's attached to the stand on the ground. When I'm up where I want the stand I wrap the rope around the tree then put the carabiner and pulley through the loop. I put the rope on the stand through the pulley and hoist it up. Then hook the carabiner to the stand to hold it in place and attach the stand to the tree. I can usually be up the tree and have a stand hung in close to 5 minutes with very little noise and effort.

It took hanging about 5 before the idea came to mind and about another 3-5 to perfect the process. The first 5 or so I liked to have killed myself getting in the dang tree and it was mostly done in the heat and humidity of July here in NC. Gives a man motivation to find a more efficient way to get the job done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014