Focusing on a single buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JakeD, Jul 26, 2014.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm blessed that many of the bucks that I watched and passed last year have made it through this summer looking good. I have several pics of 5 bucks that are all at least 4+ years old and 2 more that I believe are in that same age class. I know this is a good thing, but I'm having trouble deciding which buck I should try to focus on. I feel torn between some of them because of the history I have with all of them. Anybody else that runs into this same thing, what do you do to decide?

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If this was me and had that many bucks to choose from, I would focus on a age class and shoot the first buck that meets this criteria.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd try to take into consideration which ones I feel have the best potential for antler gain over the next year and would use that as a baseline. My goal being to produce and harvest B&C bucks. Beyond that, I'd take the first one of them that comes along that I'm satisfied with. We often get tied up with "pet deer" from so closely managing them. In the end, it's about the hunt and the harvest (and antlers) and we shouldn't get too tied up in the thoughts of caring for the animals individually. They are a short lived game animal after-all.

Personally speaking any of them I thought were only 4.5 years old would get a pass from me to start with and I'd focus on the 5.5 age bucks if any are available. Otherwise the only 4.5 year old I'd harvest would be a cull or a Booner.

Dental examination aged the Hanson Buck at 3.5....food for thought.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I focused on one deer for 4 years. There were others that I would have shot without hesitation if the opportunity presented itself. If I knew I'd get multiple chances at each of them, maybe my strategy would be different, but that's simply not the case for me.

My internal shoot-o-meter never lies. If I get that feeling, an arrow flies.

5. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Fitz...I will pick out a deer, even on public land, and I will target him. If the its early in the season and my spider senses get tripped by another animal than I'll kill it...if not I stay the course on the original target. I am not always successfull with that approach but...in my very humble opinion, to hunt is to pick an animal amongst animals and try to successfully harvest it. If in the course of hunting that animal, other targets should present themselves (does, cull/management bucks, or a larger mature buck) then so be it...the sun shines on a dogs *** everyonce in a while...and btw...I wish I consistantly faced the dilemma you are currently facing....cheers

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Fitz too. I have a couple of bucks in mind with one or two that top my list. So when the opportunity arises, I am letting the arrow fly. We can kill 6 bucks here in Eastern NC so I have more lead way than the average bow hunter.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've ate tag soup more then once hunting a specific animal. At the same time Kansas is a one buck state so that certainly effects the way I hunt. In the end I will shoot the first buck in range I am happy with.

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right now Britney and I have located 4 bucks that interest us. All are in different areas. I tend to get stuck on one buck that I would really like to kill. Britney is still trying to kill her first bow buck so that makes it easier for me since she takes priority over my hunting. I want to increase her odds. This is how I go about it...

1. Conditions need to be almost perfect as far as wind, entry and exits. That is the biggest factor on what buck we decide to hunt for the day. Britney's max shooting range has been 15 yards so that makes it a little tougher. We go in multiple times so we have to be careful we don't wise the buck up and ruin the area.

2. Predictability of the bucks habits. While it is tough to pattern a buck... some are more predictable. A few tend to bed in the same immediate area and tend to head to a certain feed spot once they start moving. Other bucks with one really in mind... is a wanderer. You just never know where he will camp out during the day. Of course that is the one I've been trying to kill for 2 years now.

With Britney in mind... if the wind is right for hunting a couple bucks in different areas... we will always hunt the one that we feel is more predictable to increase her odds.

3. Like I said earlier... I tend to have no problem picking out a favorite buck and get stuck on him. He usually is the toughest to hunt. I like a challenge.

Tim

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have so many in the same age class and one doesn't really jump out at you I would should the first one that came into range.

10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much the same here unless I get lucky and draw for another 2.5 week season for rifle/bow. If I could get a couple bow tags a season... it would really change how I hunt. Using my one tag on just a decent buck... isn't going to happen. It is better to let him go so I increase my odds the next year of killing a buck that is big. Well that is what I tell myself when I eat a tag.

Tim

11. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I targeted one buck for over three years. In that time I could have killed him during gun season twice, but passed him both times.
    I found out one of the neighbor hit him with a vehicle in the spring the fourth year of being after him. Saw the roadkill pic of him and it tore me up.

Since then I have taken the approach that I hunt for a buck of a certain size and let the moment in the hunt decide if I do or don't trip the trigger.

12. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always tell the guys I hunt with to shoot whatever puts a smile on your face. Remember, there are no guaranties that you will be able to hunt tomorrow. (coming from the 50 year old guy that's had 3 heart attacks) I personally get more out of having the 2,5's and 3.5's walk by but that's not for everyone and that's OK.