Finally got a new bow!!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frantzracing0, Jul 23, 2014.

1. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a Bear Showdown for YEARS now. Good little bow but much to be improved upon. I briefly had a Mathews Switchback xt that I purchased used. Needless to say I didnt notice the cracked limb when I got it. :rant:

Finally, I decided enough is enough. My current bow was shooting my pile drivers at a blazing 219 fps. Took my own arrows to the local shop and shot quite a few bows. Some high end, even some low end. Then I narrowed it down to just a few in my price range of about $500 for a bare bow.

#1 PSE Sinister. Pros- Very fast for a single cam bow, nice valley and SOLID back wall.

cons- Horrible draw for a single cam, god awful ugly, and did not ballance the best. The top wanted to come back on the draw and required me to hold it with a closed grip to counter this. Also had a ton of hand shock after the shot. Was not quiet or loud

#2 Hoyt Charger Pros- First off this bow is gorgeous and feels very high end in the hand. Very smooth draw, and decent speed. Held on target very well and was whisper quiet. I was also stacking arrows with this bow.

Cons- Mushy backwall and this was the slowest of the group but only by about 5-7 fps (not a big issue at all) and was also the most expensive of the group at $539.99

#3 Mission Venture Pros-Fast for a single cam. Ballance was fantastic. Very smooth draw and quite accurate

Cons- Horrible after shot vibration. Worst of the group. I was not expecting the vibration and the jump.

I was nearly settled with the Hoyt Charger, Loved the bow except for the backwall. Shot it twice and was about to buy her, THEN the owner handed me the Mission Ballistic. I was hesitant because I shot the Blaze earlier and did not care for it and did not care one bit for the Venture.

The Ballistic was smooth drawing, solid backwall (just does not allow for much creep) very quite and dead in the hand. The bow ballanced very well and held on target with ease. I was driving tacks at 20 yards within 5 min of picking it up. With my current arrow set up I was getting 298 fps +\- 2. I was in love. Paid half down and will pick up the bow next week when I pay her off. My only complaint was the grip but ill find a way to remidy that. I also wish they did a roller guard on this bow but thats a minor gripe. In my opinion the bow can not be beaten in this price range. Mission hit the nail on the head with this bow. The avs cams are great. Allowing blazing speed without the harsh draw. There is a slight hump to get past but nothing like you would expect.

thanks for reading this long post. By the way, setups were 29" dl at 70 pounds

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on the new bow. Sounds like you got a great one...
    Here's hoping we can see a photo of it laying across a deer this year :tu:

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Post some pics when you pick it up.

4. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and enjoy it!!

5. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Solid pick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a great bow, I plan on shooting this for a couple of seasons. I drilled squirrels and rabbits, also got a doe this last season with it. You won't be disappointed. What accessories are u going to throw on her?

7. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    I have an apex accue strike sight, nap apache stabilizer, a cheap tru-glow lock down quiver, and im still shooting a WB rest. I switched to a drop away last year and ended up switching back. The only improvement I saw in accuracy was out 50 yards and farther which I would never take that shot at an animal. I just love the simplicity of my WB in hunting situations. But I am considering giving the Nap quick tune 360 a shot. Full containment without the fletching contact.

8. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The WB isn't a bad rest at all. I had that b4 my drop away. I shot 70yds with the WB no issues at all. And te containment is very nice.And honestly I just liked the looks of the DA and have noticed few improvements only way far out.

9. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    I never had a problem with my drop away, but it was always in the back of my head that man what if something goes wrong. What if I dislodge the arrow at a crutial moment, what if the serving breaks etc etc. All foolish im sure, but I have zero issues of even thoughts of it happening with my WB. If I can shoot a 3 inch group at 30 yards thats all ill ever ask for.

10. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congratulations on the new bow. Sounds like you have been using your old bow for quite some time. Glad to hear you got a new bow you love.

Send pics when you get it up and running:D