Cheaper hang ons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunter171, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Bowhunter171

Bowhunter171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to really stock up on stands this year. Anyone know of any cheaper hang ons that are still well made?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want light hang ons you gotta spend money. If willing to put up with heavy weight hang ons but cheaper than look to ones like Big Game Treestands, Gorilla, Guide Gear and others....

3. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the money, everybody really likes the Lone Wolf hang ons. Have heard some good things about the Big Game hang ons too.

4. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will just add the phrase "You get what you pay for"...We have heard it a million times...I fell 20' feet one time and landing on my back because of a "cheap" stand...I am fortunate to still be here...I would rather put my money and my life in a well built stand regardless of the price...Tyni mentioned some pretty good stands though...I have a big game and a gorilla and both have worked out fine but I prefer my millenniums. Just always have on your harness regardless of the stand........

5. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a couple cheap stands from menards. Like stated above there kind of heavy but they seem to be well made.

6. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We go to ****'s Sporting Goods every year after season and they clearance their Comfort Zone stands for $20 and 16' sticks for $20.

7. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^ this guy is right. I have a ton of the comfort zone stands. They are heavy, yes but they are a well made stand for what you pay. I personally replace the tree strap with a ratchet type but thats just for peace of mind. The seat is on the small side but the platform is decent. Heck even without the sale they are only like 45 bucks.

8. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased a hang on tree stand from menards and it was the Big Dog Bearcat because it has and extra large platform and I picked it up on clearance for $42. It's a little on the heavy side but I wont be moving it around. Once it is up, it'll stay in the tree where I put it. The way I see it, I could have 4 of these for the price of one of the "name brands" ( Im not knocking them, just my wallet is!!!)
    Good Luck!!

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ****unless given with stand....I encourage everyone to ALWAYS replace straps with fresh ratchet straps. We always have two on a stand and one is always brand new. They are not that expensive and definitely cheaper than a hospital bill.

10. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    we allways hang stands with 3 straps the one it comes with and then a ratchet on the top and bottom and we run safety lines we get them from ****s after the season also

11. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 cheapo guide gear stands. One was the deluxe fixed tree stand (which I like the best) and the other was the regular guide gear tree stand.

For me, well worth the money. Heavy? Not to me. They're 18 lbs. My boots are heavier than that haha

12. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    River's Edge from Midway USA.

13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No offense to anyone, but i put forth alot of effort, money and time into the hunting season. I live for it year round. Come november when it's that first frosty cold quiet morning, The last thing i want to skimp on is a cheap treestand that pops, or squeaks when i shift weight on the stand to shoot when a rutting 150" buck is within 20 yards.....Lone Wolf all the way for me.

EDIT: i would rather own one LW assault and 4 LW sticks then have 4 complete sets of anything else

14. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I buy all my hang on stands from Sportsman's Guide. They're not the most comfortable things, but they're cheap and you can buy a lot of them. I usually get the stand/sticks combo.

16. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gorilla silverback series hang-ons are second only to Lone Wolf in my opinion. I picked up a scout (10.5lbs) NIB for $70 on EBAY earlier this summer. Had one and it did really well for years. Right now Muddy outfitter on sale for $79 @ Basspro. All things being equal... I use my Lone wolf.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the Muddy Outfitter light is probably about the best value out there. Retails for $99, but I've seen it on sale at Bass Pro for $79.00. Free strap replacements every 3 years also. It's not a big stand and it's not a stand you are going to want to pack in and out, but for permanent locations, I'd say it would be a decent choice.

I've got all sorts of stands out, most of which are cheap stands from Menards. Running and Gunning, I'm using my Lone Wolf.

18. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly what I was gonna say! I got one last year on sale and it's worth the additional money over the Comfort Zone stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree the Muddy OL is a decent value. On sale right now at ****s for $79 + free shipping. If you spend over $100 online you can take $20 off through midnight today. So essentially you could get 2 Muddys for $140 to your door>

Muddy Outdoors Outfitter Lite Hang-On Stand - ****'s Sporting Goods

****'s Sporting Goods - Promotion Offer

As far as Sportsmans Guide this is one of my favorites. It's heavy and we generally leave them in place for at least the season. Replace the straps every season or 2 to be on the safe side but all in all well built and comfortable:

Guide Gear® Deluxe Fixed Tree Stand - 177427, Hang On Tree Stands at Sportsman's Guide

I have some of these as well, not terribly comfortable but sturdy and have a big platform:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-24x29-1-2-hang-on-tree-stand?a=546779

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-30x36-xl-hang-on-tree-stand?a=681074

Just an fyi the Climbing stick & stand combo, the stand platform is tiny:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-climbing-stick-and-tree-stand-combo?a=552579

A bunch:
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/hunting/tree-stands/hang-on-tree-stands?d=115&c=120&s=396

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I will be using this year will be my alpha and sticks and maybe my LW climber. Like you said I will take the one set over 4 or 5 of the others. Plus the climber and hang on/sticks pack great.