Ground blind hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jacob1, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never bow hunted from a ground blind. I got a new spot I want to hunt but the trees are not big enough to hang a stand. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

2. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you have a good quiet seat to sit in. I tried with out one it was horible.

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get one big enough for you to draw back comfortably. If your back arm hits the wall or the stabilizer bumps against the front wall, the deer will know. If possible, get one tall enough to stand up and shoot if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For bowhunting, you pretty much need a hub style blind. The doghouse style blinds just don't give you enough room to draw. I have the Barronnett bell bottom blind and it's a great size. Can hunt solo with tons of room, but its also enough room to add a second person if you have anyone you want to bring with you. Take the time to either brush in the blind with some surrounding vegetation to help break up the outline. I like to set up with a couple of decent sized trees right behind the blind. Another thing that can work is if you have some of that leafy mesh material you can drape that around windows etc for a little outline break up. Make sure you have a good seat, a ground stake bow holder, and sweep the entire area clear of dead leaves/ loud brush. Moving your feet before you draw and crunching a leaf will result in deer running away in a hurry. Some people say to get your blind out and leave it out a few days ahead of time, but my closest encounters with deer have even been the day I put it up.

5. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys prefer ground blinds over stands?

6. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the spot...typically i prefer stands because i can see further and scent is easier to contain.....but....that being said, 2 of my 3 biggest bucks were shot from the ground. Being at eye level with a big buck is an amazing rush....i definitely don't shy away from using blinds if circumstances don't allow for a stand

7. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 spots on the farm i hunt were i cant use a stand so i use blinds i have 2 dog house blinds one is tucked in a bush and i have the front and sides brushed in very well so it looks like the bush is bigger. My second is in the middle of a field of rye grass mixed with red clover and brass clover i have 8 giant hay bails out there and 2 are very close and positioned right so it hides the blind allowing the front window to be fully open and they work awesome.as long as you have it brushed in or concealed itll work great and wont bother the deer one bit if you dont brush it in itll take the deer awhile to get used to it and might always be a concern to them or an eye sore thats my opinion at least i spend alot of time in a stand and blind and both work awesome.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When you say the tree aren't big enough what exactly do you mean? Around here they are typically tall enough however the circumference is to small. I can often get a ladder stand in these type of trees just fine.

9. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh boy I will tell you that I love my ground blind. Scent is an issue though. I bought a ozonics last year, and killed 2 down wind does, so that solved that problem. You will need a good quiet chair. I have a very old comfy office chair that I can sleep in if I so choose so. They are also great for turkey.

One thing. Make sure you practice shooting out of the blind, and chair you will use to hunt. You will need to figure out your clearance.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used my hub blind and used makeshift blinds using brush and cami burlap cloth. saw my biggest deer at 25 yards using a down tree to sit behind and shoot kneeling. when using a blind my favorite chair is a 6 dollar brown plastic lawn chair. I've tried the three leg folding stools and it is painful to sit for very long. with that lawn chair you can sit all day. try hunting from the ground, adds a new dimension.

11. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm talking circumference.

12. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clear all the brush and any twigs that your putting your blind in and brush the outside real good and make sure wind isn't going to move it much. Make sure you have good shooting lanes and a comfy seat and lastly make sure its big enough to move your bow around and draw

Bowhunt Madness

13. yamaha562

yamaha562 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive seen guys wear black in blinds and guys wear camo in blinds. what do you guys prefer or think works best??

14. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of fooling with a ground blind I just sit on the ground... Bring a chair, find a nice solid background of cover, brush it in if you can and you're good to go.

15. msims6288

msims6288 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am hunting from a ground blind for the first time this year. The only complaint I have, other than the lack of space to draw, is that my field of vision is limited. I shot a doe on Friday and she was out of sight too fast to get a good bearing on where she went.

16. Nocturnal Machinist

Nocturnal Machinist Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If the interior is black then wear black. I'm also in agreement with MnHunterr that just sitting on the ground if your brushed in well is just as good. I have multiple spots like that i have made and use around my property but still use the pop up when weather is bad.

17. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    get up early so they have a chance to get use to it, and brush it in as best as possible. its better than nothing

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an area I have wanted to hunt from the ground for a few seasons now, but no place to really put a full size ground blind. I picked up one of these tree blinds that I'm going to set up between a group of 3 trees. I could have netter it in but getting holes to shoot through and what not probably wouldn't be ideal. I bought some camo cloth to extend the bottom if the height needs to be taller to stand in. Have a seat that ratchet straps to a tree so I can place it at an ideal height.

Hoping it works, hoping to get out this weekend to set it up.

[​IMG]

19. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    when you buy one, make sure to set it up and practice shooting out of it first. make sure you know where you need to put your chair so you can draw without hitting the blind with your elbow or bow. and get a quiet chair. and brush it in really good.

20. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: