What are your Hunting rituals?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by michael_pearce, Jul 20, 2014.

1. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I was sitting here watching a few hunting shows. My question to everyone is, What are your rituals that you do on a daily basis before hitting the woods to try to harvest your animals?
    For me personally, I take a shower before I go to bed. I take a shower when I wake up. I wear a different set of clothes to drive to my farm and change my clothes when I'm there. Spray down, spray on the way into the stand, spray when I'm in the stand.
    One main thing that I believe in is getting in your stand extremely early. If I am going for a morning hunt for an all day hunt I will get in my stand at least an hour to an hour and a half before first legal light.
    So let's hear it what are your normal rituals you do?

Mathews Chill X
    NAP Carbon apache
    HHA optimizer
    Pine ridge stab
    CX Maxima Hunters

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Shower in the morning if an AM hunt. Drive to the property. Pull out the totes, change, spray down, head in. Repeat until tags are filled or calendar says I have to stop:D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

3. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I take a small Bible I received from Christian Sportsman's Fellowship (it has a camo cover!) in my backpack to the stand each day along with my readers ('cause I'm getting old). As soon as I'm on the stand I say a short prayer thanking God for my salvation first and then thanking Him for allowing me the health and opportunity to hunt and be a witness to yet another dawn of His creation. I'm always sure to thank Him for these things regardless of my hunting success that day. If I haven't seen much after a couple of hours I get my Bible out and randomly open it to a verse for that day. It's amazing how often that message has specific meaning for that day.

I also check my Scoutlook App when I arrive at the lease to select my stand for that day because even though I spray down I don't think anything can really fool a buck's nose.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We watch Escanaba in da Moonlight and drink beers the night before. Group texts (legally) during the hunts.

If someone shoots a buck, tracking parties are given. And we throw the inner loins right on the grill in the shop after every deer kill.

5. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol i do the exact same thing.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shower before I hunt put on my black latex gloves walk out to a tent I have set up and get the camo on. Spray every layer and walk out to the stand of the day

7. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is long and drawn out but I'm a creature of habit and been doing it for a long time. I usually stop and get gas at one particular gas station then head another 45 minutes to the farm. Get all my crap out and in the cabin. I shoot my bow before anything else is done. I then go through my pack and take everything out check it then put it all back in. There is one particular radio station playing non stop while we are there too. I stay up til midnight watching monster buck dad's and then try and sleep. I might get 3 hours of restless sleep that first night (like a kid on Christmas) Shower in the morning drink my coffee eat my oatmeal or oatmeal cream pie and then head out. Get into the tree thank God for a safe climb in and getting to witness another sun rise. There's a lot more but no one wants to read that much!

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I make sure I shower, keep my clothes clean and stored in a tote or scent free bag, I never stop for gas the morning of a hunt, nobody is allowed to smoke in my truck, etc. I do my best to minimize any strong odors getting on me or my clothes while on my way to the woods. Then like others said; I finish getting dressed, spray down, and head in. Then repeat all season long. I worry more about hunting the wind while on stand than my scent, but getting to my stand location I try to minimize spreading too much scent/odor on my approach.

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I bought the full season of Heartland Bowhunter and watched through most of the episodes the night before. I'll probably be doing the same again this year.

Also hangout out with some of my hunting friends, shoot our bows, and just talk about our plans for the next morning. Then the usual morning routine of showering, getting my gear on, then heading out.

10. Work-to-hunt

Work-to-hunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get to the camp put my clothes on spray down when I get close too the stand I'll spray alittle doe pee on my boots get in my stand spray down again eat my poptarts put a pinch of Copenhagen in and wait for sunrise!

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wash my towels I \dry off with in scent free detergent. Even the towel I take to the stand during the warm months. I shower before the hunt. Like Pearce, I wear clothes for the drive to my hunt location. They too have been washed in scent free detergent. (To make it easy, I wear the same clothes for the drive to every hunt.) I then change once I get to my hunt location. I wear as little as possible to the stand. Once in the stand, I pull up my bow and gear. I use my scent free towel to wipe away any sweat. I then sit for few minutes to cool down. Hang my gear, setup my camera and arm. Spray down again and finished getting dressed. Check the wind and get ready to hunt!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  12. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shower before every hunt, then put on clothes and walk out the door and head to one my stands. If i'm feeling lazy I'll drive down to the bottom of the hill and park...lol. Most days just walk and take my time.

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sacrifice a virgin chicken and bathe in its blood..

I eat 4 eggs and a cows tongue with a shot of creek water before hitting the stand.

Walk to the stand in my underwear.

Kill booner

repeat

P.S. but I always spray my bow down :p.. NOT

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    K.I.S.S.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try and take a crap before I leave camp. It rarely works and usually catches up to me either halfway through the walk in or 10 minutes after legal shooting light.

16. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The only ritual I have is checking the weather to see expected wind directions then look over maps to see where I'm going to be headed. Then when headed out I check the wind to see if the expected wind direction is holding true.

17. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Either you guys (minus taklebox) take this way too seriously or I don't take it serious enough, :lol:

I wake up, check the weather and decide if the wind is okay for the stand I decided on the night before, I take a shower and put on clean cloths from a tote, I check my equipment over while loading it in the truck/atv, I drive within walking distance (1/8 mile), grab my stuff and get my *ss in the stand and kill a deer.

Evening hunts, basically the same process.

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I put on my lifejacket :ninja:

19. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Usually hit the snooze on alarm, wake up late, rush shower and breakfast, speed to fields, ignore all quietness enroute to tree, make as much noise as possible climbing tree, cuss a few times, realize I don't like tree I'm in, settle in anyway, irratable bowels set it, decide to trust fart. Finally settle and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My god man...

I'll wear as little as possible to the property. Put on my scent free clothes from the tote, spray down, and head in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk