What to use for deer hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tomekkplk, Jul 18, 2014.

1. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As maybe some of you may know, I am new to Bow hunting and this will be my first season doing so, my question is what arrows and broad heads would you use? Accuracy and damage being most important. Currently I am using Cabelas Carbon arrows for practice but my friend told me about Bloodline arrows and Toxic heads. That's what he uses, for a new guy, or even someone who wants to progress in this, would that be fine? I hear lots of yes and no about everything when it comes to bow hunting, so thanks in advance!

2. bryanfichter

bryanfichter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rage 2 blades

3. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most arrows will get the job done, and as far as broadheads i would go mechanical. Fixed blades are amazing tools but your form must be spot on. Being a new hunter the mechanicals will fly like your field points and still be very forgiving. And then next year before season you could start playing around with fixed blade broadheads.

4. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well once I posted this an ad come up about Red Maxima's "The Best Hunting Arrow Ever"

Anyways, yeah I was at cabelas picking up a few things and noticed the G5's.. Looked pretty sweet. Very Lethal, but reviews about the toxic were crazy, some guy said it opened a hole the size of a half dollar and one where he got a bad shot (horrible by the way he said it) 70yds later it just fell.

I'll look up the rage 2 blades

My boss (who doesn't bow hunt, he just duck hunts) said never go mechanical, only fixed blade. Very odd, didn't know why. Any negative sides of either vs the two? Sorry for a probably typical question.

5. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there is a million threads on here about the subject, i used both and prefer mechanical. ive never had a mechanical fail but it could always happen. there is nothing to fail on a fixed blade but your bow must be perfectly tuned. if not your broadheads will hit different than your field points. there are also threads on here about broadhead tuning which is mainly dealing with fixed blade broadheads.

6. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I got a lot more to learn and read upon. Thanks for the info guys

7. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh boy, you are gonna get a whole lot of advice on this one. You will find that a majority of the arrow manufactures will produce anything from super high quality budget arrows to 100$ per half dozen arrows. But broadheads, well thats just something you're gonna have to choose on your own. Broadheads have come along ways in todays hunting world. Find something that fits you and your bow. You have started in the right place to find answers. Feel free to ask the tough questions, for example what arrow sucks, or what broad head sucks. What doe lure is good, or what camo works best. You will get a ton of answers, and I promise you 99.9% will spot on. Good luck and good hunting. :tu:

8. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As biscuit said, you will get a ton of different responses. If I were to begin again or help someone that was new, I would recommend the Beman ICS Hunter shafts with Rage 2 blade broadheads; simply because that is what I started with and performed well. The shafts are very affordable and tough. The Rage 2 blade broadheads also share those same qualities but on a different spectrum - meaning that I will never shoot the same blades twice without sharpening or replacing..I'm not saying that they're not sharp or dull easily, but you want to be as confident as possible when you draw. Furthermore, as others have previously said, mechanical's are the way to go for starters; they will fly just like your field points. However, when you feel confident enough that you have the correct form or better yet, just want to try something new (as I often do), try the Ramcat broadheads. They are a fixed blade and are absolutely devastating as well as fly just like my field points partly due to a bevel in front of the blade that reduces drag and helps aerodynamics. None the less, it's a fun ride learning everything :) have fun and goodluck this season

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We really need to know your setup before recommending possible broadheads.

I am a fixed blade shooter, I only use mechanicals for turkeys. I have no issue with mechanicals I just prefer fixed heads. I am shooting Beman ICS Bowhunter shafts and QAD Exodus full blade heads this year. The last two seasons I used Easton Bloodlines and the same Exodus heads. I wanted more weight so I switched my arrows.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Tricks will fly like field points and open a hole, a Mechanical will work but I like to use a heavier arrow with those. The Cabelas arrows you have are fine arrows they are made by beaman.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This would be the worst advice to ever give a novice. Only archers with a full understanding of kinetic energy and the ability to identify a perfectly tuned bow with perfect arrow flight should even consider large mechanicals as an option. Large mechanicals may have their place, but it certainly is NOT in the hands of a beginner.

Any good quality fixed blade head would serve you well.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more, beginners should keep it simple and I wouldn't recommend rages to a professional. I'm glad someone like them and gets along fine with them though.

13. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As said knowing your setup would help us some.
    That being said you can not go wrong with a fixed blade.
    Biggest complaint I hear about fixed heads is that your bow must be perfectly tuned, I don't see that as a con.
    Why wouldn't you want your bow perfectly tuned? Why leave energy on the table?

If you can get your bow to shoot fixed blades consistent you'll learn a lot about your bow, your abilities and archery in general.

So really the only knock on fixed blades is their reduced cutting diameter.
    To the Toxics, A friend used one last year on a doe and while it did it's job.
    It broke a blade off inside and he said that their pretty loud.
    Now anything can break and noise is subjective so YMMV.

14. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also would recommend against mechanicals for a beginner. A good fixed blade and any brand name carbon will get the job done. My fixed blades tuned easily and group right with my field points. Keep it simple, you will be glad you did.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  15. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews ZXT
    Mathews Convertible arrow rest (was on bow when bought)
    55lb draw
    Spot hogg hunter sight
    Is my set up

16. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't claim to be an expert. I do call my self an archery "Junky". I have been bow hunting since 1975. In the last 10 years or so I have personally used many different arrows and BH. At this time I have success with Easton Axis arrows and use QAD Exodus and NAP Hellrazors. I think both are very good. I also think Rage is not the choice of a beginner. Actually I shot 2 deer with Rage and will never use one or let anyone hunting my land use one. I know lots and lots of people have great success with them......not me. I have shot lots of deer with NAP Spitfires with no issues. But I recommend a heavy-ish arrow (7-8 grains per pound of DW) and a sharp, solid, fixed BH.

With that said I do have a Z7Xtreme. It shoots the best arrow every made, the Easton ACC. But that is an opinion.

17. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    G5 Montec - Thunderheads, Muzzy or Slick Tricks would be my choice for a fixed broadhead.

Mechanical would be limited to the Grim Reaper or G5 T3.

Add a good quality 8 Gr arrow and your in business.

The secret to having a good hunting bow in my mind is to not mess with shooting field points out of it after you tune it for broadheads.

If do you want to shoot field points out of the bow--- then buy two sets of identical sights and change them out for shooting practice rounds with.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  18. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy is a great fixed blade.

19. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The arrows you are shooting now should be just fine. Like others have said I would use a fixed blade broadheads as well. Slick tricks fly just like field points and there always open! Your shooting 55# which is fine but I wouldn't trust a mechanical with that poundage.

20. Bowhunter1997

Bowhunter1997 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I 100% agree. I started with 4 blade muzzy and when i got up to shooting 60lbs i went to mechanicals. Which that was just last year. Mechanicals you need more kinetic energy to open which when starting out i have never seen someone start at 60lbs. So a good fixed blade will serve you well.