Passing up on a shot opportunity. Why?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many here have passed on shot opportunities I'm sure but what are your reasons. For me in many cases is I am just enjoying the outdoors and enjoy watching deer come and go. What's your reason for passing up a deer if given the chance?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've always taken pride in the fact that I don't take iffy shots, if it ain't solid I pass it. I'd rather be kicking myself for letting an animal go than kicking myself over a wounded and unrecovered one. One unrecovered deer by bow in my career...due to a mechanical blade (and survived)...dozens I've let walk because I didn't feel good about the shot....I can live with that.

Aside from that, deer must be 5+ years old for bucks or 3.5 year old cull, does have to be without fawn and I prefer old when I can age within reason.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Usually either the deer isn't a legal buck in Pa, or I just don't have the shot I want. I won't take risky angles or shots I am not 100% loving just to saying I shot a deer.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For doe, I won't orphan a fawn...and i won't shoot a fawn, i only shoot yearling doe who have been pushed away from mama.

for bucks, you can't shoot a 130's class if you shoot all the spikes and forks..

120 class or higher for me here on my property in RI....

this was last november on my property, i had 2 encounters with this buck in similar fashion, i have his sheds now too!!
    (adjust the hd settings on the vid)

To each there own.

EDIT: I will never force a shot, It's only a deer and i have to much respect for the deer to take an iffy shot just for meat or bone.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because I like big antlers.

Because I don't like dragging does.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like Swamp Stalker said I will not shoot a doe that has a fawn with her. If I am not sure about the shot on any deer, I will let them walk. Once I have killed a doe for the freezer, I target bucks on my Hitlist and pass on all the others.

7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats right!

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pass does on most hunts. I generally won't take one during the early season when it's warm out. I also won't shoot a doe w. a fawn. For bucks, I shoot what feels right, everything else, I shoot with the camera.

9. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I passed one last year because he was broken off, and part of me wishes I would have taken him, it was at 35 yards though so I'm glad i passed cuz i was definitely not good enough to shoot that far. good thing about practicing.

10. romadcow

romadcow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For me I like my does to be at least 3 years old, and I normally have a buck or two in mind....from cams/word of mouth. I don't need meat that badly...I can go to the last few days of the season and unless there is a horrendous blizzard I can get enough meat to fill my needs. Also I hate taking a doe before the rut...even with Farmland Earn a Buck.

<edit> Also....I never take an iffy shot....should go without saying here.<end edit>

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  11. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot does when I have time and feel like cleaning one, and I'm fine orphening fawns. Bucks have to pass the eye test, if its a no question shooter and presents a shot I'm shooting, if I question if its big enough it walks.

12. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't take iffy shots. More importantly I'm a good guest and a good hunting buddy (hint hint, I need an invite or two because my buddy with land is busy and can only get me out a couple times per season) and agree to only shoot wall hangers. Does are open game and I have only had 1 chance: she was DELICIOUS.

13. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pass any mom and fawn together because I just couldn't bare the thought of a fawn going looking for the mother. I pass all bucks that dont give me that warm fuzzy feeling when I see it. I also pass when I don't feel confident in the shot too.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pass on fawns and momma does that have fawns with them. Before last year I would have shot any buck or non-mother doe that passed the stand but I was strictly a meat hunter. I am still a meat hunter but I started filming and challenging myself to ONLY take mature deer, so it's made me pass a lot more. I really enjoy filming deer too so it's not hard to pass anymore, I'm always looking for that cinematic "shot". :)

15. TacticalDestroyer340

TacticalDestroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Forcing a shot or taking an iffy shot rarely works out and seeing a deer that you wounded again is even more rare. Also I like big bucks and you have to let them walk to get big!

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pass all the time. I just enjoy spending time in the woods. People would think I was crazy for spending all that time in the woods if I didn't let an arrow fly every once and awhile. :p

17. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea same here

18. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me personally my goals are to shoot mature does without fawns. I also will take mature bucks only. Rack size to me isnt the only reason I hunt, a mature buck is still a hard animal to kill regardless of antler size. So i prefer to take bucks that are at least 4 years old. Another reason I pass shots is if it doesnt feel. An example I have is last season November 7th im in one of my favorite stands I lay down a scent trail of Tinks Hot Shot Doe Estrucs (love that stuff) leading to the tree stand. Just after first light I had a big bodied buck I hadn't seen before come down the trail i came nose in the dirt. I counted 7 points and he might have scored 120. He was real tall just didnt have any tine length. I had him broadside at 49 yards for 5 minutes and I kept going back and forth whether or not to shoot. I practice out to that distance and am comfortable making that shot but something didn't feel right, so I passed. He would have been my biggest buck to date and I hope he made it through the winter.

19. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

20. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will pass on bad shots. but I do not pass any good shots on any deer I hunt for the meat