Let's talk lighted nocks.......

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After starting the arrow thread I saw a lot of you are using them.

I have mixed feelings on them. Just curious if you are using them and why/why not?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I am simply because they show up better on video. I'm not personally a huge fan of adding a bunch of weight to the back of my arrow which is why I'm contemplating going back to fletchings only without any sort of wrap. I still need to build and shoot some hunting arrows first to see where my FOC ends up and how they fly before making any changes though.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My eyes are not what they used to be, the lit nocks help me see the flight of the arrow and help find it

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After using them for a few years now I am for them and will continue to use them. It has really helped with seeing exactly where the POI was and how good of a shot it is. Helps out a lot on when to take up the trail. Plus it is much easier to find your arrow post shot. I do not notice any different as far as POI when compared to regular nocks.

5. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I use them.

Makes it much easier to track the arrow in flight and also aids in recovery especially after the sun sets.

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to make the switch for this fall to using them. I currently use fletched/wrapped combo's and they show up OK, but I'd like more visibility.

I'm on the 15% FOC mark right now, and can't see how 10 extra grains in the back will make a marketable difference. Time will tell.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have excellent vision but still enjoy how much easier the lighted nocks make it to see exactly where my arrow hits. Or doesn't hit. I missed a doe last season in Ohio and knew without a doubt I missed so I didn't climb down and disturb the area. I saw several more deer after that I probably wouldn't have seen if I climbed down to inspect my arrow "just in case".

They do add weight but it hasn't really affected my arrow flight any. My standard Beman nocks weigh 12 grns, my S Nockturnals weigh 22 grns, and my Nockouts with insert weigh 25grns. I also agree using wraps adds more weight, my 5" Onestringer wraps add about 6 grns (I've weighed them). My FOC is around 10.9%. Even though that falls in the common 7-15% range, some people consider mine low but I am getting excellent flight and I have had zero penetration issues using the QAD heads. I could go with a heavier head or add a weighted insert to get that up but I am not messing with it until I feel a correction needs to be made.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried it last year for the first time and was not happy but I hear brand DOES matter. I will keep trying different brands but everyone is telling me to go with Launch Pads.

9. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love using my nockturnals, i use them because I like seeing where my arrow hit as well as the path of the arrow flight and rto be able to find the arrow....also makes for way better video footage when filming hunts.

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I understand the use case for those of you that film........

With that said I've had a terrible track record for reliability with them, and I've tried several brands. It seems like they only work about half the time when I actually shoot at a deer. They also constantly seem to have dead batteries, unreliable activation systems, etc. Plus they are expensive. I'm not going to just buy one either, I want several so that all my hunting arrows are the same and I can also practice with them.

I can't think of a single situation where I didn't find a deer that a lighted nock would have helped. Sure, they are cool but I already use highly visible wraps and fletchings so I almost always see where I hit an animal pretty clearly.

I guess I'm a scrooge. I'm just not buying into the hype. I'd rather save the $$$ and put it towards another set of sticks or a stand or gas money to drive to my hunting ground to hunt or scout.

Anyone else with me or am I alone on this?

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

The part I don't agree with is the reliability. The nocturnal have worked 100% of the time for me.

12. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I intend on using one for my recurve this year.

13. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same reasons as everybody else....The Nocturnal's have not failed me yet....

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Face it Miller, you're a tightwad.

15. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said, i use them for self filming, and they stick out like a sore thumb when the arrow hits opposite shoulder and the arrow comes out while there running away.

16. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too am all for them. After the shot, its much easier to find your arrow and it helps to locate the POI while your still in the shooting position. I am making the switch to Nockturnals for the on/off switch. I had lumenocks but I dont like the fact that you have to pull on them to shut them off. Its not a simple pull either, you almost have to wiggle them which I wasnt a fan of.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using Nocturnals for a couple of years now and I really like them. Like others said, you can watch the flight of the arrow better and it makes it easier to find your arrows. I shoot the Easton FMJ and they have not affected my arrow flight at all.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  18. StringFlinger18

StringFlinger18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir.....Love my Nokturnals! I have used Red, Blue and Green. They can keep the Blue and Green but the Red are amazing. Like all the reasons stated above but above all, in all the hundreds and hundreds of shots I have put them through, not once have they ever failed to light up immediately at release.

19. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using Nocturnal's now. Help see the flight, general POI and help me find the arrow later. Also makes a great blood trailing marker.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Nope. I'm with you. Never saw a need. I don't film, and as you said, none of the deer I've shot seemed to be in a situation where lighted nocks would make a huge difference.

That and I'm also cheap :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.