Bow tuning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bgusty, Jul 17, 2014.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well now that I moved up to the metro I was looking for a new bowshop. When I originally bought my bow, I got it from Scheels and they set it up for me. I finally got out shooting my bow yesterday and shot it, and it seemed like my arrows were a little off, and the tail was swerving to the right. Turns out my cam timing was off, my nock point was set incorrectly, they served my D loop in to the point where it was pinching my nocks, and so I was getting fletching contact on my Ultra rest. Which explained why my arrows had a fair amount of marks on the fletches. It's gonna end up costing me about $100 in labor, and I am having them refletch my arrows with a helical fletch. Moral of the story? Buy your bow from a true archery pro shop where they will set it up for you right. That $130 bucks was going to be a new quiver.. Guess I have to wait another paycheck or two.

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Even better...learn to tune it yourself. That way it's tuned to you, you save money, and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. :D

Glad to hear you're getting it fixed, though. That's frustrating.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Learning to tune yourself is much easier since you don't need to travel to a pro shop and pay someone to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I won't even let the Gander in Duluth touch my arrows anymore :busted:

Glad you're getting it squared away.

5. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz, I used to work at a different Gander Mountain. Trust me, I wouldn't let them within 100 feet of pretty much anything archery related if the standards are the same as when I worked at one. I never received ANY training on how to tune stuff. We had one guy that worked there for a while from an actual pro shop and he did all of our bow work. You wanted anything done? Hope he is working that day otherwise you have to wait. It was frustrating because I would have been happy to learn. To those of you that say do it myself, where do I get that kind of knowledge, and don't I need a bow press and vices and a bunch of equipment?

6. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Matt and Max, learn to do it yourself. I only go to the pro shop for major repairs.

7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What shop do you visit?

I work in the metro and have been looking for a reliable pro shop as well.

8. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Schaffer's archery in Burnsville. The guys there are knowledgeable and easy to work with. If you bought the bow elsewhere they are going to charge for any service the first time, but if you buy a bow from them they do all the tuning etc for free. Plus at this point I don't have the time to teach myself, and cam timing and cam lean aren't the first things that I want to try monkeying with on my bow. Granted, their prices are higher on their bows to begin with since they do all the set up and service for free. I've heard decent things about Capra's in Blaine, but haven't had a chance to check that place out.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's the place next to Taxidermy Unlimited. That's where I got my mount done. If you haven't been in there, check it out. They do amazing work. Marv talked my ear off though.

10. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is in fact a taxidermy shop right next door. It's a small shop but they have a 20 yard range and carry a decent selection of Mathews and hoyt, as well as some Mission and PSE. Fitz, I have to actually shoot a buck with my bow before I can have any taxidermy done. To date I've bagged 2 bucks with a shotgun, and did my own European mount and had a buddy put the antlers of the second one on a plaque.

11. Double

Double Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A1 Archery in Hudson is pretty much the gold standard in metro shops. So much so that many customers from the metro find it worth their while to venture over the river to Sconny. Huge product line, great customer service, and the guys that work there know their stuff. I can't recommend them highly enough. And no, I have zero affiliation with A1 beyond being a satisfied customer who has received top-notch service time and time again.