Tree stand aiming?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Djfan, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Djfan

Djfan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I put my target up at 30 yards from my deck. It's an eight foot high deck. When I stand on the corner and shoot at the bag I am off by about 6" - 8". When I shoot from the ground I am pretty dead on. Both of these shots are with the same sight, and the same distance (or close).

Any reason that you can think of for the difference?

20140717_182020.jpg

In this picture I was aiming for the small circle, bottom, middle. For some reason it went sideways in this forum. The one I was aiming for is on the right here.

Thanks!

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What direction are you off?

Make sure you are bending at the waist and not just lowering your bow arm.

3. Djfan

Djfan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, the right side of that pic is supposed to be the ground. I am off slightly high and to the left a few inches.

I have never heard the advice to bend at the waist. Thanks.

4. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^This. Most up/down issue when shooting from an elevated platform come from the shooter dropping their bow arm to aim rather then bending at the waste while maintaining a "T" shape from the waist up. focus on keeping you shoulders level and concentrate to bend just at the waist to get your pin in the correct up/down position and your arrows should start drilling your spot.

5. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never thought about what Pin 'em & Stick 'em said...I just thought that since you were shooting down, gravity would have less effect on the trajectory and that's why I was shooting high - so I just aimed a few inches lower and have shot good ever since. But what he's saying does make sense. I'll have to try tomorrow

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To make sure you are bending at the waist check the peep centeredness on your sight ring

7. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gravity is constant as is the arc of the arrow so, if you change the angle at which the arrow is loosed the the impact point changes. Your line of sight distance is longer than it would be if you were standing in the same spot on the ground. When shooting from an extreme angle, whether it be up or down, you must shoot as if you were shooting from the same elevation as the target otherwise you will miss high.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is true, but for the OP (8' high @ 30 yards) the difference should be negligible. His distance of 30 yards ranged would actually be 29.85 yards.

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't the pic sideways and hes off laterally and not vertically? Does seem a form issue, like tourqing the bow a little b/s he's not bending at the waist.

10. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO you are likely canting your bow due to the different position. Easy to do when you aren't on level ground to help you realize if you are canting it. Does your sight have a bubble level in it? That's the best thing to take a quick peek at to make sure you are not leaning the bow.

11. Djfan

Djfan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Thanks all. Chuck, it does have one, and I have started using that in this situation. My tendency was to lean it a bit to the left, which I have watched since this started. I am going a bit up and to the left either way. I have found that if I aim below the target it works. I am shooting for the bottom of the circle and doing better. I just don't know how to process this for the "in the field" situations. If the deer is 20 yards out or 40 yards out, what do I do?

12. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do not just aim below the target, you are not fixing your problem, only band-aiding it. Draw as if you are on level ground, then bend sideways at the waist to lower the pins onto the target, making sure your pins stay centered in your peep, and your anchor point doesn't move. If the string touches the tip of your nose, that is a perfect reference. It takes practice but you will get it. Too many guys do not practice from elevated positions, and then wonder why they make bad shots when hunting from treestands.

13. Djfan

Djfan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for this. My band-aid fix was the reason I posted here. I wasn't happy with the solution. I wanted to practice from the height, and want to do it correctly.

14. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like the others and ruck139 mentioned highs when shooting out of a treestand/elevated positions it's critical to keep the same form you have when on level ground. Just like ruck said, draw back as if shooting level, then with your hips stationary bend at the waist to move the bow into position on the target. Remember, you are perpendicular to the target and are bending over your hip, not forward over your stomach. That maintains the form needed from your bow arm to sight picture to the drawing hand/nocking location.

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    There is some top notch advice being given here, thats what makes these forums so great!

16. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He is changing his anchor point when shooting down at the target. At that distance he should only be 1 or 2 inches high. Try drawing back as though you are shooting level. Keep your nose to the string and do not change any thing. As you slowly bend at the hip keep your ring to ring perfectly lined up. Practice like that until it feels normal to you. Draw as though you are shooting level, lock into a perfect form position, and only bend at the hip. Repeat.

17. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was just shooting from an elevation last night and forgot to bend at the waist and I noticed my peep was off.

Good fresher thread.

Kilboars Hunt Club