Buck Butter...ever heard of it??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BOWHUNTANDLIVE, Jul 16, 2014.

1. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Completely non bias...and not meant to be a plug....

By far the best scent product I have ever used. The product is made by Lowes Whitetail Scents out PA somewhere. Its gonna sound like a strange concept but I have never seen deer react to any single product the way they react to this. Its basically gelled bedding. The scent is pungent...stings the nostrils... BUT I have watched deer come WAY out of their way to investigate. They literally put their nose IN the jar!! A few times they have put their nose in the jar and then walked 10 or 15 yards and lay down...I have never ....at least within eyeshot...saw a deer react negatively to it. Its possible that they smelled it out of eyeshot and didnt come in...but the ones that have come in have gone straight to the jar. They make this stuff while the does are in esterous...but it works from the beginning of the season till it about the rut...then I usually switch to either nothing or a doe esterous....one bowhunters opinion about a product that does what it says its supposed to do...check it out...

2. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What does it smell like? Ill try anything once!

3. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    It kinda smells like urine...but not exactly...I actaully know kinda how they make it...one of my Marines parents make the stuff. Again not a plug...he gave me some to try about 4 yrs ago and I use it without fail every year early season to rut...they "juice" the bedding straw which has urine and turds and hair and all sorts of stuff....and then they make it a gel somehow...

So I have seen roughly 100 deer reactions over 4 yrs....ALL have been either positive or neutral....zero negative reactions....but again thats only what I can see....conversely, with other products I have been wheezed at, stomped...and some I have never seen a deer. I have watched deer with their nose down B-line for this jar, rest their nose in it to the point that little gel pieces stuck to its nose, and then go bed down within eyeshot....just sayin...I usually put in a shooting lane or I keep it in the stand with me as a cover scent....I use the wind to my advantage...try it and see if you like it...in fact try it pre season see if you get the same reactions i do...I know about 10 guys that I turned on to it and they all swear buy it...

4. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crap everything is all sold out. I'm hoping its just the on line sales part. I wanna try this buck butter. Nice find! I would rather support a mom and pop business any day.

5. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    So this stuff is super fresh!! They will put the does into their esterous cycle in early august...I dont know how they do that, but they have been doing it for a minute..All of their products aside from the Buck butter are single animal. That makes it relatively seasonal...I dont think they have started making it this year but I am also out of contact with their son at the moment...but I will give him a call to see when they are gonna start production...By late august they will have product and it usually sold out by mid October.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like basically the same product as the Evercalm "Herd in a Stick" that I started using last year. If it works half as good as Evercalm, it's good stuff.

They probably have them shedded up and control the lighting. If my guess is correct, their cycle is photosensitive and controlled by hours of daylight.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  7. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used that but if its half as good as this stuff its good...it calms them down for sure..

8. WISCOZ7

WISCOZ7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, sounds like Evercalm. I thought my buddy was BS'ing me about Evercalm then I tried it. The stuff is incredible, had the buck I shot along with 2 others came walking down the trail I put down with it. During the season, many other bucks and does, came right in sniffing. I never had a bad reaction. It's the only scent I use now. You can use it all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Until I see otherwise I will think this exact same thing - The stuff works.

Last year I would always rub it on the bottom of my boots about 100yds away from the stand, then I would walk a bit past my stand, and come back on the same trail. The deer I had come in stuck their nose to the ground and follow it - Every time.

10. WISCOZ7

WISCOZ7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I apply it the same way. I'll swipe some on a couple surrounding trees or brush also. I made fun of my buddy for buying a $20 stick of deodorant, now I'm buying a stick every year!!

11. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I will have to try this Evercalm stuff too...although I am still not plugging it...I gotta say that I like supporting mom and pop businesses too...especially since I know their son...

12. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of it.

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of it... but it's worth a shot.
    I used Evercalm last year - without any results.

14. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it's worth a shot

15. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you'll be disappointed...but everyone has their own "thing"....that's mine and I thought I'd share

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing!

17. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Where can you get it?

18. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    I know they were working out a deal with cabelas....and I know if you live in PA it's in most sports stores there....but Lowes Whitetail Scents dot com will also have....but the nature of how they make it makes it seasonal....but they should have it out soon...I'll call and see what the status is....and I'll put those who want to know in the know

19. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks. I'm in NJ and not too far from the PA border so maybe it's reached some stores here. Also it may be worth a look next time I'm in PA

20. Jmcarlson6641

Jmcarlson6641 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting. Last season i could not understand how someone could buy the $20+ stick of scent (evercalm)....but i have yet to read a negative review on the stuff! It might be worth a shot