The Miseducation of the Kendall Jones Story

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pony30, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't post my response to Mike's article so I felt compelled to voice my opinion. Hope Mike's views don't represent the rest of the staff on this forum...

I am all for hunting, but the killing of majestic and endangered animals in Africa is a disgrace. Money can buy just about anything and make it legal in some sense, however that doesn't mean that it is right or ethical. Mr. Jones goes out and pays a local guide to drive an SUV up to one of these animals so his daughter can pull the trigger or release; the end result is not a trophy or moment I could be proud of.

Mike, your article is off base and naive to believe Kendall and her father did nothing "wrong." If you want to teach your children a life lesson, teach them to use their given talents and financial resources to contribute to long term conservation sustainment and or community charity, not the killing of endangered animals justified behind the spin of "good conservation."

Here's to miseducation...

Pony

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pony, the animals werent endangered.

Heres to your miseducation.......

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunters are the only thing placing a value on these animals in these third world countries giving the locals ANY incentive to not allow poachers to decimate them as they historically have done.

Many of these animals are far from endangered... And most of these hunts remove the older non dominant/breeder bulls from the herd.

But hey, continue to believe just giving $0.35/day to whatever "conservation" group is making a difference. In the meantime, hunters and the organizations representing them will continue to spend millions to protect this resource and ensure a hunt able population remains around for our kids, and their kids.

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well damn Shadow you beat me to it.
    Word for word.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I, for one, am proud of Mike for writing an article with some opinion. He didnt just write an article without any criticism of other hunters, he spoke with what he felt was the truth. Id rather listen to a guy be brutally honest than sit back and kiss the collective rear ends of all hunters or blindly support hunting methods that he doesnt agree with.

6. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed the article personally, and was shocked when I read the comments.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well it's a bit naive to believe that any one person's opinion reflects that of an entire staff, no?

None of the animals shot and killed on her trip were wild endangered animals.

Right and ethical are subjective terms. What is right to one person may not be to another. Such is the case here.

Nobody asked you to be proud of it.

Again with the subjectiveness.

Not sure I can come up with a good response to that one. The complete lack of reason or logic speaks for itself.

Indeed. :tu:

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally, not a good article, but a great one. The reaction you are getting is because you did one hell of a job. Keep up the good work.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, and I think we should really be boycotting this guy. Spielberg slayed this endangered Triceratops. How dare he.

[​IMG]

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To the OP...just this....:lol:

Just like with our conservation departments here in the US...these hunts are approved through the nation in questions natural resources divisions (or equivalent) and are used as management tools besides being a source of management funds, including anti-poaching enforcement as well as food sources and revenue infusions into the local economies. So to say it has nothing to do with, "conservation sustainment and or community charity," but instead "the killing of endangered animals justified behind the spin of "good conservation." is just mentally degenerate and poorly thought out.

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They should lock that guy up ha ha.

As far as this article goes it's one of the better ones out there but still find myself disagreeing with parts of it like the rest.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

12. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess Justin pretty much summed it up. Pony, your opinion is just that, your opinion. I for one, thought it was a great article and saw no wrong doing on the part of Kendall. I guess we can agree to disagree.

SCFox

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn it, he's at it again.

[​IMG]

14. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as he stays away from the dragons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed it as well. If all is done legally who cares... To each their own.
    People should spend more time worrying about their own decisions rather than attacking people for doing what they feel is right and legal.
    It is ok to agree to disagree... and move on.

16. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That Spielberg should have let that unicorn go one more year. That horn is not very long.

17. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For me this presents a challenge. Big cats in general have been on the decline due to loss of habitat. I personally wouldn't go shooting any of the more rare animals in Africa, even though I would love nothing more than to get out on a safari someday. Warthog, Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, etc.. I would absolutely hunt those. Their numbers are simply massive, and would still make for a great experience and trophy (not to mention cost a fraction of the price). I do the same thing around here though. If I am predator hunting and I come across a coyote, that's a couple of bullets being sent downrange. A red fox or bobcat? They get a pass. I never see them around here, and so the experience of seeing it is enough for me. On a different note, dangerous game in general probably isn't my thing. If it can hunt me while I am hunting it (Lions, large bears, etc), I am not interested. If they have a reputation for being ornery and dangerous, also not my thing (Cape buffalo, Hippopotamus).

I do find it to be frustrating when people just latch on to the fact that it's a species they feel we shouldn't be hunting, and disregard completely the bonuses that go with it. Let's be honest. Pretty much any African safari hunt is about the trophy and the experience. That said, it does a lot of good as a secondary bonus. That money helps the economy, and most of the time the meat from any animal shot goes to feed a local village. People are so quick to criticize people that hunt in Africa, but when was the last time they bought an entire village a nice steak dinner?

18. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pony, with all do respect. After reading your post I believe you are the one mis-educated. A couple if quick points. No endangered species were killed. And Kendall is a woman.