Have you been stalked or harrassed while hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been stalked or harrassed while hunting?

Never for me. But I have heard stories

2. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely have...Oregon is notorious for it....hippies!!

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. Multiple times.... Twice by a DNR officer. :p

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do you do. I would just start target practicing with my pistol :p

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They get you for anything?

6. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had an older guy walk over and chew me out for hunting NEAR his brothers property line.

7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How did that end?

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep it happened last year. I had a guy that kept trespassing. In the early part of bow season he would walk his dogs in along a trail onto the property I was hunting. 5:20PM sharp! the first time, I yelled at him and he said sorry man and got his dogs and left. The next day, 5:20PM sharp, he came back looking for me in that tree and I had moved. He got close to me and I yelled, What the H-LL! He said sorry and left again. I knew he would come back the next day. So I put on my leafy camo suit and stood in the woods along the trail. AT 5:15PM, I heard him get out of his trucks and call his dogs. Sure enough at 5:20 PM sharp here they come. He was walking along the trail. I waited until he was within 3 yards if me and I shot my .45 cal into the ground, away from him, 4 times behind me. He dropped his phone, screamed like a girl. He nearly crapped himself. I turned and said WTF! I screamed what the H are you doing over here again. I said, I tell you what, and I took out my phone and pretended to call the cops. He got his dogs and hauled butt. I never had problem with him again.

9. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a neighbor to one of my leases that has been known to harass hunters in the past . I shot a doe out there last year and heard her start her pickup and come racing down the road ... and thought , OH Boy here she comes , only to hear her head back home . I told my landowner later that it sure is nice driving a pickup that looks just like his :) Of coarse he didn't think that was funny

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was abducted by aliens.....

11. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    his virginity

12. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been stalked by yotes coming out of the woods lol and ive been harassed twice in 2010 and 2011 by the same farmer. He owned 5000 acres and ended up selling alittle over 2000 acres to the state for public hunting. Well i hunt about 100 yards maybe alittle more from his property line on the northeast side of the property he has a bean field and corn field hidden back there and the deer feed all day and stay on his property till around 3 or 4 then start heading my way into the woods and thick grass into the public hunting grounds and when i shoot one they run further onto public land never on his i dont see a problem well anyway hes yelled at me weve gotten into verbal arguments he has let his dogs lose into the area im hunting he has shot at the idnr property signs that are around 100 yards away and what his favorite thing to do is hop on his 4 wheeler draging pots and pans or metal and tin pieces around on the trail by me scareing everything off. Ive talked to dnr and unless they catch him or i get video or pics of him in the act theres nothing they can do and we cant carry guns and hunt in illinois well we couldnt before you can now if you pay a ton of money and take the conceal and carry classes.

13. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have a neighbor on the property I hunt yell at me and my father every time we shot our guns. Of course she didn't take kindly to deer hunting either. The landowner and her had some real disputes which cause him to do thinks like drop a tagged deer head off on her front porch. She left a few years ago and its been relatively smooth sailing till this year. Had a guy about to trespass but saw me in a stand and walked the other way. 15 min later the guy who watched that property come down and drive the property line with his ATV. Not the worst thing but I didn't see a deer the rest of the day.

14. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a property 1/2 mile from my house. I've had permission to hunt this ground for over 25 years, and had problems with the same quack for nearly as long. He will drive by, honking, screaming or stop his truck and do burn outs in the road. He doesn't own the ground, hunt there, or have any say over the ground at all. He's straight up nuts. I've called the law several times, it never does any good. I resolved the issue by not parking along the road, I either have someone drop me off or ride the ATV there to hunt. Shouldn't have to do that, but its less headache for me.

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha... No the first officer that ever stalked me was adamant he was going too. I was wading a really a small pool on a reservoir duck hunting. He watched me from the bridge for quite awhile. Then he drove off only to sneak up on me on foot from the opposite direction. I had Beneli Super m1. It has a 18.5" barrel on with a tube the full length of the barrel. He made me break down the gun to show him the plug. When I pulled it out of the gun he couldn't believe the plug was as long as it was.... When he checked my license I provided him my ID and my lifetime card. He then drilled me because the serial on the lifetime was so low and he just couldn't believe it was mine. He then checked me for everything else he possibly could. Harvest, stamps, steel shot, etc... I've had good experiences with them and bad.... This guy was just a A HOLE!

Last time I have had a bad encounter was two years ago when the hunter / landowner on the adjacent land tried to run my off of public stating I wasn't suppose to be in there. We had deer out in front of us when he came screaming and hollering at us. It got heated and I had to call the sheriff's department and game warden. He was cited for interfering with my right to fair chase. Apparently I wasn't the first call they have had on him....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will also say last year in Nebraska I was hunting a small bit of timber on the back side of a property on a ridge with a draw. The private side was a huge cut corn field tucked down in a valley that was surrounded by thick stuff. The deer only really had two travel routes as it was a natural funnel right into my stand. I am going to speculate the farmer behind the property saw my vehicle and knew right where I would be (that is assuming he didn't think I was trespassing) Anyway he drove down the rode, cut through his pasture and drove that entire cut corn field in his truck with no muffler 30 min before sunset. I had been sitting there 2+ hours waiting for prime time. Did I also mention is was a 90+ minute drive...

The d-bag had never enough to wave at me as he drove by me!

Also had another farmer this year drive into the timber 150 yards in front of us where the turkeys where roosting only to bang on a bunch of sh*t for 5 min and then leave. I know he did it on purpose and it really p*ssedd me off because I had my boy with me trying to harvest his first turkey.

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    red piney squirrels. Every time. Little bassards will not shut up.

Oh, you mean people?

when I was about 17 I was hunting state land in NE Indiana and was on my walk out around lunchtime. I was hunting on the south side of a dirt road, state land to the north also. So I was walking down the road to my truck when I heard a bunch of ridiculous racket.

Lo and behold, a group of PETA-type deranged dbags is prancing through the woods on the north side of the road, banging on pots and pans, whistles, two retards in fuzzy deer suits...the whole shebang. I didn't know about anti-hunter harassment laws at the time, and I never did anything about it.

And I know technically they have as much right to the state land as I do, but Godd&#%# I hate partridge and rabbit hunters with dogs in the woods right when the rut is peaking. Nothing more harassing than beagles baying under my treestand.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  18. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got shot at. On my cousins property in Michigan one morning and heard shooting in the neighbors corn field. 15 seconds later here come a huge doe. She ended up 10 yards away with a 12 gauge slug. Anyway, 4 or 5 days later, I was in the same area. Just about an hour after sun up, I heard something wizzing above me in the trees. This moron was shooting at me with a rifle from probably over 400 yards. Probably wasn't happy with me taking 'his' doe.

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's not a moron, that's a maniac and a menace. Hope the law got involved. Even if he was intentionally shooting over you "just" to scare you he could easily have killed someone.

20. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This past fall a buddy and I were walking into the area we hunt that is privately owned but not posted land. Here in Maine as long as it's not posted, legally it can be hunted without permission. We have permission to hunt it though. A guy I actually work with and know quite well was in there that afternoon "scouting" around the area even though he hunts the same area and knows it well. He proceeded to tell me I was in the wrong and unethical blah blah blah this is his spot, I shouldn't be in there etc.
    I was fuming mad, not only were we the ethical ones with permission which he doesn't have, he doesn't own the land and was telling us to stay out. He also just happened to be in the area that I hunt at 2pm on a Saturday, coincidence? I think not.
    It was all I could do to not knock some sense into him!