Bow hunting wives, and family

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by biscuit, Jul 12, 2014.

1. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone else bow hunt with their wife, and children? My wife loves to go surf fishing with me, so one day she says hey let me shoot your bow, so I backed the limbs all the way out and next thing I know she is at the pro shop with me. My kids picked it up just because its what they see me do, I suppose. It's been a pretty cool experience to say the least. All of our children bow hunt as well. I would say that just getting out there and working with the whole family during the summer on our land together is some good old bonding time. It's cool to watch my children get out there and go through the numbers before working the land. My oldest will scold her younger brothers about what she considers their lack of scent control, they reply with (at least we don't stink like soap):lol:

Anybody else hunt with family members on a regular basis?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Little brother (4) loves hunting and blood trails all deer with us. Also he loves to go in the blind with us and he will be hunting with us when he turns 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband and I hunt everything together!

4. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father and I both got into bowhunting together. He used to hunt with a shotgun when I was real young but wasn't too into. He did it more just to be outside than to shoot a deer. When I was old enough to hunt we had some family friends that bow hunted and they got us into it. We hit it hard on the weekends for a few years but with high school sports year round it became difficult. When I got out of college and became a firefighter my hunting really took off. I fortunate enough to hunt almost every day thanks to the schedule I have. My father, however, hasn't hunted in a few years. Now my brother is old enough to hunt but he doesn't practice enough with his bow. He isn't very consistent and I just don't think he's ready to shoot yet. I take him duck hunting all the time in the winter and he loves it but he just isn't bow-ready yet. I'm hoping to get him in a tree stand with a shotgun this year, though.

Last week I bought my girlfriend a bow. She never really expressed any interest but I figured, Hey...whatever enables me to shoot more often haha. When I told her I bought her one, and when she saw it was pink, she was pretty excited. Today is the first day we both have nothing planned together so I'm hoping to have her shoot it some. I still have to adjust her drawlength and everything. She says if she's good at shooting she wants to hunt so she can shoot my deer, but A. She smells too good, and B. She doesn't like the woods. I doubt she'll be hunting, but I think it'll be fun to shoot together.

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats great bonding time with your wife and kids. My 3 daughters like to shoot their bows, but not all the time, every once in a while theyll do it, no hunting though. My wife, lets just say the mall is where she likes to hunt for things!!!!! Have fun with your family, good story brother!

6. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think hunting period provides so much for us as families, and individuals. How about just being able to get out into the woods and sit in the quiet waiting on that heart pounding sound... only to see this huge squirrel:rant: But hey squirrel ain't bad chow. Great to see Y'all out there with the families.

7. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I duck hunt and deer hunt some with a Brother-in-Law. And I hunt some with my Dad. Other than that, I'm outta luck. My boys aren't old enough yet to hunt with me (hopefully, someday they will) and my wife couldn't give two hoots about it. My brother eats my deer and ducks but won't lift a finger to get them himself.

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is actually the reason I started.
    I have always been a gun guy and she wanted to try archery for awhile.
    So when she got a bow it wasn't long after me and the boy got one as well.
    Now we frequently go to the pro shop together where we've meet some good people as well as people she ain't seen since child hood.
    It's one more activity we can do as a family.

9. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife really likes to shoot 3D with my son (10 yr old) and me. She hunts as well, but has yet to put a deer on the ground.
    As for my son, once he is able to shoot consistent enough at 40lb draw weight, I think he will hunt more than I do.

I'm still trying to get my daughter (8) into it.

10. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My brother in law both bow hunt and I hope my boys pick it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I chase everything together; whitetail with a bow, predator hunt, waterfowling, and turkeys. She's also a heck of a good clay shooter and angler. I will add tho, she's a bit of a fair weather hunter. Usually by the time the snow flies, and that north wind dips the temps down she's inside for our deer hunting adventures.

It's nice to be able to share hobbies with your spouse. No one feels left out and you don't ever have to get those "you're spending too much money/time on hunting" talks.

12. bigwoodsbowhunter

bigwoodsbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    charlies buck.jpg Here's a pic of my son with his first buck with a bow he shot in 2012. I watched him shoot this deer and saw it fall 20 yards from me. The best time I had so far!!!

13. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I'm the lone wolf in my family that bow hunts. My dad started getting interested so I bought a used bow and new accessories and gave it to him on fathers day. I should have plenty of time to get him going before 10/1. I'm also trying to get my girlfriend into the sport. She loves going on hunts and sitting in the blind or 2 man stand with me. But she is scared she won't be able to shoot a deer. I made her a deal though. I'll buy everything she needs and I'll gut and drag out every deer she kills. Hoping to get her hunting by next season. Her mom will kill me if it happens. She's a bit of an anti :banghead:

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

14. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My sons 12, 8, and 4 deer hunt with me, it's a crowded blind to say the least but it's really a lot more about the experience than shooting something. I'll sneak out a few times solo to actually have a shot. My brother in law just picked up a bow saturday, my other brother in law gets out of the marines in about 2 months and he'll be getting one as well. I'll elk hunt with them but it's back country and my kids are ready for that yet.
    There's not much I enjoy more than having all my boys out on the range with me.

15. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    outstanding!!!!!!

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife got into shooting this year but will never hunt. Trust me I've tried to just get her to come along and observe. She said she would yell and chase the "cute" deer away so I didn't shoot it so I dropped that idea LOL.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife doesn't hunt. She loves that I love it and has no issue with me hunting when ever I want but she has no interest in it herself. I hope my daughter and soon to be born son will become hunters. I think in addition to the bonding and excitement of the hunt, the principles of self reliance, conservation, and appreciation for resources are all important things that can be learned from hunting.

18. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife wants to bowhunt bad and this would have been her first year except we just found out she is expecting our first child so it's going to have to wait until next year. My mother bowhunts with my stepdad though and they love it, she has been very successful.

19. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my "Little Girl" hunts with me .... !
    10372520_10154195179835357_6190497192196225597_n (1).jpg Oct4pm1.jpg IMG_0675.jpg pink1.jpg IMG_6274[1].jpg IMG_6269[1].jpg

20. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my wife wants to go out this year with me. We will see how it goes. Im excited but not sure how she's gonna do setting for 6hrs and not seeing anything