Best release?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bryanfichter, Jul 10, 2014.

1. bryanfichter

bryanfichter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a new hunter this is my first year and I was wondering what the best release is to use? What kind is the most comfortable, and why do you prefer it? I'm shooting a Mathews heli-m

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is the best release, attached to the best bow, using the best arrow, using the best broadhead, held by a hand in the best glove, inside the sleeve of the best long sleeve garment, which touches the best pants ever, which are slid inside the best boots....

Best is a relative term...tons of good options in the archery world for a lot of things and everything I listed above. You can get the thumb release kind that just stay on the bow till ready to use...or use a wrist strap kind....double or single caliper....far too many out there to pick one and think we'd be recommending the best one for you. If you can research and maybe put it down between a few I know guys here with experience with any you list will chime in.....but just out of everything it is far too hard to tell ya cuz so much is relative or opinion based to really know the "best".

3. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best? I like the Scott Mongoose XT - is it the best? no, but for me it works and there hasn't been any reason for me to ditch it or be unhappy with it. If you are lucky, your archery shop should have a couple different ones for you to try.

I like it because the strap uses a buckle, not velcro.

It is adjustable and it feels good when I shoot with it.

Your mileage will vary.

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just like everyone says, what's best for me - may not be best for you.

I mean, unless you want a pink release! I use a (pink) tru-fire. It's very comfortable for my small wrist and completes its purpose. But, I'm sure there are others out there way better.

ETA; It's a Tru Fire Hurricane Hybrid.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Tru Fire Hurricane Buckle Web Release. What makes it the best is it costs about $45 and it doesn't chew up your d-loop. Plus as stated, buckle over velcro anytime while in the woods.

6. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a cobra from wal-mart I also have a more expensive one from true glow. I like the cobra more and its less money. The cobra is a lot more comfortable than the true glow. The only thing good about the true glow is it sat in the palm of my hand and didn't flop around. The only bad thing is it was not comfortable. The cobra is a wrist wrap it is a lot more comfortable for me. Comfort is key try cheap and work your way up.

7. ArcheryGirl

ArcheryGirl Guest

You have to try them all and figure out what works for you. I probably tried and shot 10 different ones until I figured out which one feel the best.

8. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Carters Chocolate Addiction

9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Tru-Fire Patriot that I enjoy. I'm not so concerned with the velco, because I put my release on before leaving the truck and that will be my approach leaving camp this year. That and it fits in my hand.

10. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy shooting with my truefire hardcore release...but I would try a few and see what fits you best and what you enjoy shooting with!

11. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My personal pick is the Scott samurai.
    It's about 50 bucks, comes in black, has a buckle and through the years of motorcycles, paintball and other sports I've always had good luck with Scott products.

I get asked what's the best a lot by students in relation to concealed carry pistols, holsters and belts.

My response is always that I can recommend several good brands , but just like a pair of work boots it would be impossible for me to say what's best for you.
    Start with a quality trusted manufacture and go for there.
    Go to an archery range , everyone at the range that we go to is always willing to let us try their stuff on.
    And if I recall correctly cabelas had a bunch you can try as well.

Good luck

12. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am concerned w/ velcro b/c when I add or remove glove layers I will take my release off momentarily. I always add or change a glove layer after I get set in the stand and start cooling down. And what gloves I'm wearing determines what buckle hole I'm using.

13. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't take into account the gloves. But I only think I'll wear them if it is truly cold. I'm currently trying to figure out a single point sling to carry my bow until I get to about 100 - 150 yards from the deer that I'm chasing.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still prefer one of these:

kantpinch%2520tab.jpg

Call me stubborn, call me old school. It's the one part of traditional bow hunting that I can't let go of, at least for now. But, I will say the advantage is that you're less likely to have accidental shot or mechanical failure, so the responsibility and measure of fault/success relies strictly on the shooter and his hand. I know this wasn't the answer you're looking for, I just like to see if anyone else still uses one so I always chime in on the release threads.

15. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Def try a few out and see what works well for you. For me it's Carter all day! I shoot a Chocolate Lite 3 finger.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my tru fire hardcore max with buckle strap! I had a truball assassin previously that I lost, also fit me very well. I had a truball Fang wrist strap for awhile but couldn't get comfortable with the strap style way the release head was attached so I got rid of it for the hardcore max. Also had a tru glo dominator but didnt fit me well once again. Like everyone else said, try a bunch out and use what fits!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  17. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the price you can't beat the tru ball short n sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a fan of Scott releases. I am currently using the Wolverine and really like it.

19. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I switched to this same release this year after shooting a wrist strap style release for as long as I've hunted, and I will never look back after making the switch! Like many have said before, comfort and being able to shoot accurate groups is what you are looking for in a release.

I really like the handheld thumb trigger release because I feel like I get just that. The anchor point is solid, I feel much more stable at full draw with less sway when trying to focus the pin on the target. Another thing that is really nice is when I am hunting I will just leave it locked on my D-loop, allowing me to be hands free during the hunt without having a release strapped around my wrist.

20. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only you can make that decision. Whats best for you may not be best for someone else, so with that being said defiantly give a look at all the above threads, they have all mentioned quality release's.