2nd Killzone blade break

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by StringPuller#1, Jul 9, 2014.

1. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20140709_123401.jpg
    Two years ago I double lunged a spike buck with a 100gr Killzone, full pass through but one blade broke off. Today I shot a 125gr Killzone into my 18in1 Reinheart and one blade broke off in the same spot as last time. I don't know if I'm comfortable shooting one at a deer this year.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure wouldn't.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had a problem with Rage mechanical broad heads two years ago. Though they were not breaking off - they just weren't opening. I have since gone to a fixed Hellrazor broadhead. I think I'll stick with fixed over mechanical.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Looks to me like that broadhead is pretty beat up. Safe to assume you've shot it a bunch of times into the target? If so I wouldn't be surprised to see a blade crack like that. After all they're only so thick and they're built to be shot into an animal one time and then thrown away.

Blade durability has never been the strong point of any large diameter mechanical head. If that's what you're after then a fixed blade is your best option.

5. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that killzone looks really beat up. Not surprised the bald snapped. If you want more dependability go to a fixed head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use the practice heads to shoot into the target. They are not built for repetitive shooting.

7. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have Muzzy 3 blades that are used exclusively for target shooting. In fact, all I ever shoot are broadheads. I have Muzzys that I have shot for years and years for many hundreds of shots. If I miss the target when shooting long range, they stick into a 3/4" sheet of plywood. I have yet to ever have one fail while target shooting. If a head is not built well enough to be shot over and over into a target without failure, I certainly would not trust it to bounce off bone on a marginal shot at an animal.

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    saved me some typing thanks

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking the same thing.

10. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I'll be "that" guy. I thought the point of mechanicals is they fly like a field tip. Why not just shoot a field tip?:bash:

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great results with the Killzones. At the same time I am always inspecting the head to make sure everything is as it should be. I would never shoot a killzone at a game animal more then once without servicing it. Not even a clean miss stuck in the mud....

I am going with Slick Tricks this year. I want to be able to shoot the same head in both my bow and x-bow. I want to be able to shoot through mesh in a ground blind. I want to be a little less concerned about which arrow I select in my quiver. I want to practice with the exact same broadhead ( practice set), not a practice head that somewhat resembles a real broadhead.

12. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rocket used to advertise that their blades were made to break, so that when they encountered bone or any resistance, the one blade would give way and the rest of the broadhead would keep on going on through the animal. Not saying I agree or disagree, I've just been around long enough to see all the manufacturers go through all of the marketing tricks.

Off topic, why does "broadhead" always come up underlined by the spell checker as a misspelled word?

V

13. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great luck with the Killzones myself. Complete pass through last year despite hitting ribs, followed the manufacturer's directions and retired that broadhead and it is now sitting on my mantle.

14. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^those suckers aren't cheap. Heard good things though.

16. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to try them too... but they're a bit beyond my budget.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great point Muzzy Man! But like BJE80 said, why not just shoot the practice head., The Killzone comes with a practice head that is identical in size and weight to the broadhead itself. Yeah, only 1 practice head comes in a package of three broadheads, but you can buy additional practice heads. I shoot Rage broadheads and I buy additional practice heads. This way, I can shoot as many arrows as I choose, without having to constantly walk down range.

Practice Head

[​IMG]

Broadhead

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  18. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the exact reason I have yet to go to mechanical broadheads. Yeah, they fly great, have a huge cutting diameter, and should produce great blood trails but what happens on a marginal shot. If a broadhead can break in a target I seriously doubt is going to make it through a shoulder blade. I shot G5 Montec's and they are a great head. Screwed up on a shot last season on a doe, ended up shooting her low in the shoulder, through the thickest part of the shoulder blade. If I had been shooting a mechanical broadhead, I very well could have lost that deer. Everyone has their own preference on broadheads but I will take durability and strength over cutting diameter all day long.

19. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yikes! Always been weary of expandables. Fixed blades are definitely the way to go!

20. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree it looks like that BH has been used more than once! I guess I did NOT follow the manufacturer's recommendations as I was fortunate enough to kill 3 deer last year....with the same Killzone. Of course, I cleaned, inspected, sharpened and again inspected the BH after each deer.

I also agree with the others to utilize the practice BH to practice. I did shoot one of my actual Killzones last year at numerous distances just to verify that they did fly the same as the practice head and it did at each distance out to my max HUNTING range of 40 yds.