NAP Killzones vs. NAP 3 blades

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em, Jun 29, 2014.

1. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These broadheads have really peaked my interest over the last couple of months, so i figured id ask a question to those who use them.

I currently use Rage's, the 3 blade Chisel and the Hypo's on occasion, but i personally prefer the the 3 blade over the 2 blade for no other reason than id rather have the hole a 3 blade leaves.

For those that shoot the NAPs....which do you prefer? 3 blades? or 2? And what has been your experience with either/both?

2. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot or hunted with the 3 blade but the two blade are awesome. I choose the two blade because I wanted the most penetration I could get with a mechanical and felt like the 2 blade would leave a more than adequate hole....and it does in my opinion.
    Go here to see some pics of the holes my killzones made.
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/tech-talk/62188-making-switch-broadheads.html

3. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    cool deal! Ive had success with both 2 and 3 blades...and havent noticed much difference in hole size or penetration....both have blown through the deer and dug in the dirt a good ways. Ill hafta keep these in mind whenever i use up the rages i have.

4. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both the 3 bladed broadheads and 2 blades, both in fixed and expandable. I am currently using the 3 bladed Spitfire Maxx.

I much prefer the hole that a 3 blade makes, as opposed to the slit of a 2 blade. I feel that the 3 blade hole allows more air in the chest cavity quicker, dropping the deer a bit faster, in my experience at least. Most deer that I have shot through the years with 2 blades seemed to go just a tad further than the rest. I also recall reading years ago that the slit, depending upon how it oriented on impact, could actually close up while the deer is running. I don't know if I actually believe in that or not, sounds like an old-timer's legend, but it's always in the back of my mind for years.

All that said, the Killzones are good heads, and if you're looking for a 2 blade design, these are well made and will do the job. I just prefer the 3 blades and have settled on the Spitfire Maxx.

V

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  5. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You must have meant spitfire max, the killzone max is a two blade. I thought of trying the killzone max but i'mnot crazy about COC heads.
    I'm curious, have you noticed a difference in penetration between the two?

6. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, sorry, I meant Spitfire Maxx. I went back and edited as to not confuse anyone else.

As far as penetration goes, no difference that I can see. I was first using them both on a Pearson Pitbull set on 63 lbs, and shooting a 418gr arrow, and as far as that goes, they appear as about as equal as I can see. I mean no disrespect to anyone that's had a penetration issue, but to be honest, I'm closing in on 100 deer kills, and I've never seen it to be a problem with any broadhead that I've used. If I had to guess, I would think that perhaps too light of an arrow, especially when combined with an improper tune would be the culprit in creating a lack of penetration upon impact.

My Bear Empire is set on 68lbs, and shooting a 410gr arrow, and all is well on that rig too.

Although what I originally made was a typo earlier, I would like to see a 3 blade Killzone. With rear deploying blades that would be pretty awesome. The only mild criticism that I might have for the Spitfire, is that, and it is by design, the entrance wounds could be a bit larger, though it has never seemed to affect the short blood trails or quick kills. A 3 blade Killzone would give the best of both worlds I would imagine.

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot and killed plenty of deer with both the NAP killzone and spitfire. All shots were pass throughs and all deer died within 80 yards of the tree.

The killzone, is very lethal, cuts a big hole, and all four deer I've shot with them died in sight from my tree. Inside of 30 yards easy! However, the blood trails were quite poor in my opinion. Not that blood tracking was necessary, but, in the case of a poor hit, I wouldn't have confidence following that blood trail.

The spitfires on the other hand are equally as lethal, and in my opinion are a better head due to the quality of blood trail left behind. I did notice with the spitfires that deer typically made it 50-80 yards before expiring on a heart/lung shot. It seemed as tho the killzone put them in the dirt faster, but the spitfires left a significantly better blood trail.

I'll close with the advice to make sure you have adequate power to punch those big mechanicals through an animal. I shoot 70 lb 30" and a 530 grain arrow. I'm very confident with those broadheads and the specs on my setup.

8. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting, thanks for the take on the two heads. I'm shooting about the same weight arrow as you in my hoyt so I may give the spitfire's a try.
    Heck yeah, I'd love to see a 3 blade killzone with the trophy tip.

9. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i shoot 70# 30" draw and a 443gr Victory VAP arrow, so i know penetration isnt an issue. I gotta agree, 3 blades ive used tend to leave a better blood trail.

10. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Spitfire Maxx 3 Blade... have had great luck with them over the past few years.

11. cgersty

cgersty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Killzone 2 blade 100 gr trophy tips, and they fly great and open em up real nice.

12. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was recently comparing a 1.5 dia. Nap spitfire up against a 2 in dia. Nap killizone. I measured from the center point to where the blade extends to. The spitfire was .75 for per blade totaling 2.25 in and the killizone was 1in per blade totaling 2in and I also the actual cutting cutting surface of the blade and got 2.625in for the spitfire and 2.25in for the killizone. In my experiences I've had good luck with both heads but I'm starting to lean more toward three blades . IMO I think a three blade like the spitfire gets better penetration than a 2in two blade , just from my experience I think there is more bone contact with the two blades rather than the three blades that will slide into the rib cage a bit easier.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  13. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had good luck with the killzones they leave a good hole

14. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from Rage two blade to the spitfire maxxs'! Love the spitfires and don't plan on switching anytime soon. I haven't shot the killzones;however, I have not heard anything bad about them at all!

15. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the two and three blade but I used a three blade on my biggest animal to date and had a complete pass through. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Strange, my experience has been the exact oposite of this. Iv killed 2 deer with the killzone and the blood trail was like nothing I have seen before. Blood trail was 2 feet wide, blood poured out of both sides of the animal. Heck there was even blood nearly head level on the trees. Both deer died within 20-25 yards. 29" dl 70 lbs arrow weigh is about 430