Who doesn't shoot much?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NEW61375, Jun 23, 2014.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While I have been shooting more in recent seasons I still don't shoot a lot like I used to. I generally will start practicing a little during the summer and then add a few more sessions as I get close to September. I enjoy shooting I just don't have a ton of time for it. I mainly want to wake those muscles up and ensure my bow is ship shape. How much does one really need to shoot to be proficient at hunting ranges(20, 30, 40)? I know this varies for every hunter/experience level I guess I'm just curious because I don't shoot a ton but feel plenty accurate.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot a lot however lately I find myself shooting more now that my kids have taken a interest to archery. After turkey season I typically don't touch my bow until mid August. Just to much other stuff going on... My time is limited and I would rather spend it prepping my hunting spots.

3. Maine_bowhunter

Maine_bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a couple times a week for a couple hours each. I like to get out more when I have time but hard to find the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot everyday. Hunting is really in the back if my mind till late sumner. I shoot competition so it isn't just prepping for hunting when I shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Usually its from March to December, but this year I have been really busy.

I finally started to shoot this weekend and hopefully can do it everyday until the season starts. I have a new sight, release, and arrows to tune and get comfortable with.

6. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will shoot once in a while in the late summer and really amp it up come September. I do like to get my bow tuned in early spring just to make sure nothing is wrong with it.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am horrible about practicing with my bow. Schedule is just too chaotic. That said, I plan to start practicing daily starting today until we head out for Wyoming on aug 22.

8. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't touched the bow since December. I'll probably start shooting a month before season opens. I don't really have much interest in archery so I don't much reason to shoot any more than that.

9. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The past two years I shot 3-4 times a week. The guy I shot with moved so that has made it little harder also was dealing with Tennis Elbow this past year. My new arrows should be here by the end of the week and then I will start shooting 25-30 arrows a day 3x week.

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Before the Monster Raxx get together this weekend, I hadn't shot a single arrow. Now, I have shot 25 arrows since November. I'll call that good until really late August most likely

11. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm normally the guy that picks his bow up a few times in August and on weekends in September to get ready for October. I've been shooting several days a week since late May this year. I upped my draw weight and am working on shooting at 40,50, and 60. Some days it still feels like work, I've never got much thrill from shooting at targets.

12. Bowhunter1997

Bowhunter1997 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive shot every day for the past 3 weeks, then again my deer season opens august 3rd

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like most have said I normally don't touch my bow much until summer is coming to a end. I've shot it maybe a handful of times since the season ended. Working long hours during most of year doesn't leave much time. I also get kinda bored just flinging arrows in the back yard.

14. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try and shoot a couple times during the week. I like to stay loose and it helps relieve some stress.

15. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't picked up my bow since January. I'll give it a once over and start shooting within the next couple weeks. Having the house on the market and a new job (January) have limited my time. I can get out to 20 with my layer target in my yard and 45-50 at my buddy's house on his Glendale buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the last 7-8 years I've shot 40 shots or so to make sure everything was still good and then went hunting but after having to switch to a crossbow last year , I doubt that I shoot that much this year .

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not shooting much this year, left shoulder is fouled up. Appt with the Ortho this afternoon :(

18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to get out maybe once a month and shoot my bow and keep it used to the idea of being flexed and shot as well as myself. I don't shoot a ton after I get a bow set up and dialed in, just enough to keep myself and the bow in shape and to make sure the bow is still on.
    Maybe it's just me but once I've proven to myself that I can hit a desired point at different yardages, from different angles...I just don't get that much of a bang out of endlessly flinging arrows downrange. My bowhunting experience and enjoyment is geared towards interaction between me and the animals and being able to dependably deliver that first shot to the vitals at any opportunity I see fit.
    To me, shooting a bunch is basically like buying a work truck and then putting 100,000 miles on it just cruising around for the driving experience.

19. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Normally I shoot one arrow everyday starting in August all through December.

I never take my broad heads off and have a practice broad head in the quiver that goes afield with me..

If for some reason I miss the kill zone with my one shot its time to fix the problem.

Been doing this for the last 5 years and it works for me.

20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot very little but never shoot anything but broadheads. I normally don't shoot at all until September but will start in August this year to get ready for a September bear hunt.