Why do you bowhunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by boonerville, Jun 23, 2014.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was talking to a group of guys and found it interesting that we all do it for different reasons.....i bowhunt because i enjoy being up close to the animals i pursue...i like seeing how close i can get without being detected. for me shooting an animal at point blank range with a bow is a rush like no other....and also in most of the places i hunt the rut is before gun season...lol!

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk

2. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I initially got into bowhunting because I just wanted more time in the woods and wanted to see more deer in a less pressured enviornment. While that is still true it has grown into so much more over the last 26 years.

3. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    More time in the woods, closer to animals, venison, and most importantly it is relaxing. The season here goes from October through the beginning of November which is the most beautiful time of the year. I don't care if i shoot a deer in archery or in rifle season because it is a blessing to be apart of God's great creation. And if He blesses me with a deer then so be it.

4. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More avenues for hunting possibilities.On private land with cattle alot of land owners have let me sling arrows and not lead. Bow season starts a whole month earlier where I hunt.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Having to get up close to the animals and the steathlyness and engineered power of a compound bow.

Can see myself ever rifle hunting. I won't even watch a hunting show if their using rifles.

6. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ This. That and I can shoot all day without spending any money at my house with a bow. I don't know how much it would cost to shoot my rifle like I shoot my bow.

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My dad got me into archery in 1985, I was 8. I wanted to shoot my bow off the roof of the house like he did, and climb the trees and shoot like he did. then when he brought this guy home later in november...i wanted to hunt!!

[​IMG]

I started hunting at the age of 13, did not see a deer my first 2 seasons...then my dad let me scout my own area to hunt when i was 16, and shot a doe opening morning! Then work girls and life got in the way and i got back into bowhunting about 7 years ago, and got obsessed 4 years ago, sold all my paintball gear, my 31' boat, so i could commit myself to becomming a better bowhunter. I love being in the woods, scouting and tracking deer, outsmarting them and enjoying everything mother nature has to offer us. and I'm SEVERELY addicted to antlers.........:bhod:

8. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just like archery and the outdoors period. Our season starts in September and goes through February. I hunt most every day during season. Bowhuntingin the morning sunrise aud evening sunsets are as good as it gets. Nothing better than a point blank shot with a bow on a monster buck.

9. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Longer seasons. Closer animals. Higher level of difficulty and skill required.

It's legal so why not? Lol.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For food and fun. I don't know about you but the meat department at the grocery store doesn't give me the same rush. :)

11. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Relaxation and chance to be closer to nature. Also puts food in the freezer and doing my part for conservation. Plus as my kids start to get older I am hoping it will be a way I can spend more time with them.

12. BowMaster5

BowMaster5 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Parents forbid me to buy a firearm, and i really wanted to get into hunting on our acreage but no one in my family hunted or ever had. So i bought a bow practiced throughout the summer and wacked my first buck ever and with a bow! That is why i bought my bow, and now my dad shoots with me and will be filming this season and i'm hooked i can't wait until this coming season!! :) And idk if i could rifle hunt just sounds so easy shooting a dear from a few hundred yards away. :p

13. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The challenge and it gives me more time in the woods. Plus being able to shooting time in some ways makes it a year round pursuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    gun huntin if for putting meat in the freezer; bowhunting is for sport of hunting.

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shotgun /Rifle hunting was so easy it became boring. Archery hunting is EXCITING and anything but boring!!!

16. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1: To be closer to God
    2: To be alone and relax
    3: To see the things people in the city don't get to see.
    4: Back to reason #1
    Rocky

17. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dad's side of the family was always "into" hunting with deer camps and the like. When I was growing up we didn't have all that much money to spread amongst three kids in the family, hunting for meat made the money stretch a bit further and was better than beef anyway.

As I matured, money got easier to come by but I developed an antler addiction and a love for managing deer, still enjoyed venison too. I also enjoyed being out in the fall woods, being in a totally immersive natural setting with the sweet smell of fall, the brisk temperature changes of the seasonal transition, the animals hastily prepping for the coming winter....I just love being a part of all that.

18. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its a hell of a rush getting a deer at 15-20 yards and then putting an arrow through it!

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To kill stuff....

20. scottmills

scottmills Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    meat , and I enjoy the time in woods never know what u might see