UTV vs ATV. Which for the bowhunter?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Want to make a purchase. Would you say a UTV or ATV for bowhunting. Just being used to hanging stands and getting whitetail out. Usually 1-2 people. Seems UTV are overrated but want others opinion.

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Three words... Japanese Mini Truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't have to worry too much about hanging tree stands here but for getting deer out... I have a deer cart, deer sled and Honda 4 wheeler.

ATV is handier for me then a UTV. I can get into tough spots where a UTV wouldn't without tracks. I can get into tighter spots that a UTV wouldn't make it through. I've never been stuck where I couldn't get my 4 wheeler out. I have buried the boss's UTV where I had to get something to pull it out. My Honda wouldn't have been stuck in that spot.

My 4 wheeler was free ( boss's ) when he updated. Spending $10,000 - 15,000 for a UTV and then paying for and putting tracks on it to get where my Honda can go isn't worth it if I ever need another ATV. I would buy two 4 wheelers before I bought a UTV.

Tim

4. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Britney's Youth Season buck dressed out at 215 lbs last fall. I used my ramp that I load the Honda into my truck to aid us. I rolled the buck on the ramp and tarp strapped it on. Picked one end up and placed it on the back rack of the Honda. Walked to the other end of the ramp, lifted it and slide it across the back rack. Was very easy to do !!

We never would have made it back to the buck with a UTV. It was just to narrow of a spot getting in there. It would have been a real bugger getting the buck loaded in a UTV even with Britney's help.

Again if it was me I would stick with a ATV but I know a lot of guy's who love their UTVs for hauling other things. You will just have to figure out which is more practical for your uses.

Tim

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Suzuki King Quad ATV and it's been a great machine. I use both a Mule and a Polaris Ranger at work (farm) for management and farm work and hunting occasionally. I'd prefer the UTV's given my circumstances, don't get me wrong I love my Quad but the UTV's are far handier for me.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ATV - Get to more tight places. Can go through worse areas without getting stuck. Costs less and more machines on the used market.

UTV- More comfortable to drive. Can haul a lot more. Can pull more. Can haul more people at a time. Can haul kids.

A UTV makes it easy to have fun like this

[​IMG]

You are going to need a trailer if you want to do stuff like this with a ATV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My UTV can still go through some pretty soft and wet spots no problem.

[video=youtube_share;X6cqCyO8VHg]http://youtu.be/X6cqCyO8VHg[/video]

It really all depends on what you are going to do with it. It was an easy choice for me. A UTV.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I chose to go with a UTV a few years ago and have never regretted it . I can haul 2 ladder stands in at a time and due to getting a bench seat , can also haul 2 helpers . The ride is smoother than an ATV and the kids/grandkids love going for a ride .

8. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Honda 300 EX ATV equipped with a gun rack, back rack and a hitch that I can tow my lawn cart with and I use it for every thing from hauling deer to yard work or taking out the trash!! I even tow my 16' skiff around the yard with it!!

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Yamaha Rhino UTV. That thing is great. It can climb and get into some pretty tight spots and hauls deer easily. Now days I mostly use my tractor. That thing goes through the woods very easily and hauls the deer in the bucket, no lifting.

I will most likely never own an ATV. I prefer UTV's.

10. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That does look like a blast too

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a honda rancher 350 2wd. I can pick it up into a truck bed by myself and literally have never had it stuck (they are so light that if you hop off it will crawl right on through as you walk it out).

That said, if I ever find a money tree I'll have a Polaris Razr. Those things are a freakin blast, more comfortable, and still have the small utility bed for work.

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a big honda rubicon with big tires and it is a work horse for retrieving deer out of the thickets and hills where I hunt. I can't load it by myself because it's too tall.

I am getting a used RAZR either this fall or next spring for most hunting related activities and joy riding but my 4 wheeler isn't going anywhere. I will be mounting a winch on the back to lift deer into the bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

13. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Honda rancher 400 with itp mud lites and a warn winch. I use a otter magnum sled with the hyfax runners and the tow bar works great for hauling hang on stands and sticks. in and out od the big ridges. I also have the koplin rear atv lounger It works great because I can strap a muddy stand and sticks to the front rack, me and friend can go trim stands and take 1 stand along on the front to hang, and keep the hunter safety systems in the box with the saws and scent killer etc. UTVs are nice they just cant go the places I can get my quad.

14. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have an ATV; however my Grandparents have a Polaris Ranger UTV. That thing is nice. It is also 4WD so they have yet to get it stuck. They got a cheaper cover to go on it and it keeps you dry (and somewhat warmer). It'd come down to what you can afford and how easily you want to transport it. Our ATV we just throw into the truck. The UTV would have to have a trailer (that we don't have).

15. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Grizzly 660. I'll chicken out long before that joker will quit climbing. I've only come close to getting it stuck one time and that was it's first trip to this off-road place. I hadn't been there before and I didn't realize that the "mud hole" in front of me was a 3 1/2 foot deep pit. Oops.

Loading deer on it isn't difficult. If it's a big bodied deer and I'm alone I just pull under a tree limb and I use the cheap collapsable gambrel/pulley set to lift it and lay it down on the rack.

Still, I would really, REALLY love to have a Can Am Commander Limited, though. In blue, of course. I keep telling my wife I want one, but I haven't managed to convice her yet that it's worth that price tag that's pushing $20,000. Actually, I haven't even come close to convicing myself, but it is fun to dream.

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I had more land and expected to haul more stuff I would get a UTV but for now an ATV does the trick.

17. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We check/fix over 30 miles of fence every day, pick rock, hang stands, you name it all with an ATV. A UTV would be nice at times, but ATVs are so much easier maneuvering around, especially in trees where you will be hanging stands. Make a bracket for the receiver or the racks of your ATV for stands or dead deer and you are golden.

18. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Polaris Sportsman 800 ATV, and I use it for everything except hauling deer out (when I have the choice of ATV or UTV). I have had two deer and 3 guys on the ATV at one time, but that's a long story :lol:

For me, I would much rather have my ATV for what I use it for. Hauling stands, mineral, cameras, corn, etc is much easier on the ATV than the UTV, simply because I can get to a lot more places. If I kill a deer and it falls in an easy to get to place, I take the Polaris Ranger 800. The bed sure is nice for hauling a deer easily.

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I test drove one of the new polaris ace and that thing would be perfect for a hunting rig, I just felt it was underpowered, torque wise for any real work but I did really like that machine. They put a bigger motor in one and I will be sriously considering it.

[​IMG]

20. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go check them out on youtube

Bed
    [​IMG]

Accessories

[​IMG]