Bow sights?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tomekkplk, Jun 17, 2014.

1. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up a Mathews zxt from a local shop and now have a new dilemma.. sights. The guy at Halls archery showed me plenty of styles/configurations then ended with "it's mainly preference" which now makes my decision harder. People have been saying they went from multipin to single pin and would never go back, others say only multipin for them..

Well, this will be my first season bow hunting and I'm getting everything ready. I live up here in new england, CT to be exact, if that matters. I looked into CBE, spot hogg, HHA and a few others (tru-glo but someone said it's horrible and would never recommend anything from them)

What do you guys think?

2. Borgy76

Borgy76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got an axt 4 pin ax driver, 4 pin setup, has a pushbutton l.e.d. light you can use in low light situations. GF uses an IQ with retina lock which is suppose to help with torquing your arm I guess. Single pin seems like a good option as long as you remember to adjust it. I got the multi pin, well because i'm lazy.

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Axel 5-pin (.019 fiber size) sight. After purchasing this, my 3D scores went up 17%. The pins are clear, all encased and protected from breaking (an issue I had with my earlier Viper sight - which is why I changed), and easy to see through my peep. If I ever get an inkling to change, I'd probably look at a Black Gold or Retina IQ.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Montana Black Gold sights are very nice. Some of the brightest pins I have used, plus I have a 3 pin Ascent and the adjuster wheel is easy to use even with gloves on.

5. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sights are pretty much personal preference. It depends a lot on how much you want to pay. The more expensive ones generally have finer adjustments and are more durable. For hunting purposes I prefer a multi pin sight. I set it for 20, 30, and 40 yards. Its always ready for those yardages. I love a single pin for target shooting. One can move it to the exact yardage, even over 100 yards. I tried it and didn't care for it much for hunting.
    Pin diameter depends on ones eye sight. The smaller diameter, the more pin point accurate one can be. Lighted pins are only good to a certain point. If it gets too dark and the pins are too bright, its hard to see past the pins.
    After 40+ years of trial and error my eye sight has put new demands on me. Trying to see through a peep in low light. I've tried several peepless sights. The Eradicator bow sight, IQ, Hindsight all have their good points. Then I tried the Perry's No Peep. Wow What a difference. deer_20yd (1).jpg This is the view without a peep. Just put the alignment pin next to the 20 yard pin to have proper alignment. Then pick the pin you want.

6. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I think a sight is something you can go cheaper on. I agree with the durability, but in general the more expensive ones are more easily adjustable, and you usually aren't adjusting your sight in a treestand. Also I have never found a time when I could really see a deer to shoot it but I could not see my pins, so I didn't need a light.

I went with a cheap Cobra 3-pin.

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spot Hogg would be my choice.

8. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Uncle John I do agree with your assesment. Once a hunting sight is set it should be good to go in most cases. Brighter pins do come in very handy the last 15 minutes of legal shooting light in hill country.

9. backwoodsbucks22

backwoodsbucks22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to drastically improve your accuracy and consistency at long distance, the IQ bow sight with retina lock. I absolutely love mine. It has helped become such a better shot. Plus now I don't have to use a peep sight which I love. Some people may say theres "too much going on" with the retina lock but its not true. Just use it when you practice. It helps slow you down and think about your shot. And if youre hunting and "don't have time" to look at it, then fine, don't. That feature is only there if you want to use it. So basically its just like any other high end bowsight but it has an optional feature that no other sight has that WILL help you shoot more consistently.

10. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Recently picked up my Spot Hogg Hogg-It 5 Pin...great sight and great quality! I switched from a single pin HHA.

11. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate all of the responses, seeing how I'm still new and just getting used to everything, I'll go with the cobra for now until I get better

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

12. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a trophy ridge react 5 sight, and so far I love it. It was simple to set up: sight in the 20yd pin, by moving the sight unit. Sight in the 30yd pin by using the adjustment knob. You're now sighted in to 60 yds.

Works for me.

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would disagree, go cheap on quiver, stab maybe, but not my sight. Nooo way.

MBG Ascent 3 pin w/ dovetail

14. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're welcome to spend 3-4x more to have a sight with dovetail. Oddly once the bow is sighted in with a less expensive sight, the pins are in the same place and arrows shoot the same. But you will definitely feel better b/c you paid 3-4x more and didn't need to break out your allen wrench set. The deer I shot last year didn't seem to notice though.

15. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree you can go cheap in the quiver and definitely cannot in the sight but a stab is definitely not where I would cheap out if you plan to do 3d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    And as for a good sight I would say stay with multi pin and spot Hogg especially since you will be hunting in eastern hardwoods and small fields. In the west with shots past 60 yards a single adjustable is much better. A multi pin will make it simpler. Pick the pin and shoot. If a deer moves at full draw just select the appropriate pin, where as on a single pin you will need to let down and re adjust. Now I am a huge fan of spot hoggs sights. I am currently shooting the hunter Hogg it and I really like it. Bright pins, rock soils and is very adjustable. Will upload some pics in a minute

17. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Here's some pics[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That one looks pretty sweet, I seen the Spot Hogg Right On and to me it looks pretty cool. Looks like I'll be going back in to pick one up tomorrow. May make my decision there. Thanks for all the help everyone

19. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I was shooting a single pin last year but as an eastern hardwoods hunter like you multi was so much simpler. It's is incredibly tough and I have no bad things to say at all about it. You will not regret it at all and these sights will last a lifetime.

20. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my spot hog & they are bullet proof!