Monster Raxx

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mobowhunter14, Jun 15, 2014.

1. mobowhunter14

mobowhunter14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I recently put out a Monster Raxx site and the first few days I got some pics off of it but now the deer don't seem to be using it anymore, no sign of deer tracks near it or digging in it. I also have a trophy rock out and there hasn't been a rock there for a few weeks and I am getting more pics on that than on Monster Raxx. I don t know if I put the Monster Raxx in a bad spot or what.

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of people are having that problem, the going conclusion here is that everything else greened up and the deer are eating them instead, they will be back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How did you make your lick? Was it a brand new lick, or did you add the Monster Raxx to an existing lick? They take some time to establish a new lick location. The deer will need to add that location to their routine. It may be in a bad spot that doesn't get a lot of travel.
    Are there trails close to the site location? How about access to water?

4. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also started my first Monster Raxx site today. I just used one bag, dug a hole about 3 inches deep and 2ft in diameter and loosened the soil in the hole. Mixed the MR mix with soil and added water to the mix. Then I drizzled on some of the MR apple deer attractant. Cannot wait to see how it does. The thing smells awesome, and is very noticeable. So far I am very impressed.

5. bigwisconsinbucks

bigwisconsinbucks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    From what I have heard and seen, Trophy rocks are far better than Monster Raxx... no questions asked.

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    As you go in and out of the same area you will experience a drop in daylight pictures or any pictures that is in my experiences.

7. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Care to share these said experiences? I've seen quite a few threads where nothing but good things with awesome results were shared.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Well, you are comparing apples to oranges here. I would challenge you to take a look at the labels and see the difference. Trophy Rock is an extremely high salt content supplement. Monster Raxx is one of the only low salt content supplements. High salt content basically attracts the deer, but really does little to nothing for antler development and overall health. They can find all the salt they need in nature pretty easily.

Here's the labels for both products, as you can see the mineral percentages are way different:

Trophy Rock
    Trophy Rock Ingredients

calcium (min) .35%
    calcium (max) .85%
    phosphorus .02%
    salt (min) 91.0%
    salt (max) 96.0%
    magnesium (min) .06%
    potassium (min) .03%
    sulfur (min) .07%
    manganese (min) 5ppm
    zinc (min) 3ppm
    iron (min) 300ppm
    copper (min) 3ppm
    iodine (min) 10ppm

Monster Raxx
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^what he said^ Trophy Rock is mostly salt and deer love salt. Trophy Rocks does not benefit a deer's overall health and growth like MonsterRaxx does.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Whenever starting or re-opening a site I always use two bags, some attractant and water. One bag gets worked into the first 4 inches of soil...second bag spread on top (usually have a decomposing log in site as well)....some MR attractant (not needed but if I have some I use it) sprayed/drizzled on top...then water (usually a couple gallons) poured on it and I leave it like that don't stir or anything after the water.

As others have said it still could take a while for a new site to get hammered...I've had one take a year another a day.

Also don't fall into the mindset that Monster Raxx is in the same category as Trophy Rock. They are two totally separate things....one is salt and over 90% of the product is nothing more than an attractant. Monster Raxx is a true mineral supplementation and feeds the deer's overall health/bone structure/and some argue antler growth.

11. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    possible troll!
    :bash:

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. I wish the original poster would come back on and let us know his situation. We might be able to help him out.

13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This same thing has happened to me.

I can only say that the green up caused them to stop using it. Started the site early April, checked the cam after 3 weeks and had over 1,000 pics from the site. Soaked another 2 weeks and I had 200 pics, refreshed the site and poured some MR attractant on it, set for 2 1/2 weeks and came back to 80 pictures.

Meanwhile our 2 year old salt lick on the other side of the property is being hammered and I had 2,000 pics during those same few weeks and the Raxx site.

I still have faith in the Raxx though as I saw first hand how well it does work.

14. mobowhunter14

mobowhunter14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will try some of the things that u have suggested.

15. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it goes!

16. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Location, location, location. I cannot explain it or figure it out, but I have started mineral licks and had them hardly get hit and I move them <100 yards and the things get absolutely destroyed.

17. Borgy76

Borgy76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmmm didn't realize monster raxx was located right in buffalo, mn.

18. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I won some monster raxx on the charity auction last week. I am going to set out a couple of sites this weekend!

19. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I remember sitting down with my uncle there in Ohio the year I asked him what he thought about minerals for deer. It seemed you couldn't open a magazine without an ad or article on using minerals for your deer herd. He went right into saying that there is no doubt that minerals benefited the cattle and the hogs he raised. He actually threw out weight differences and averages he used to get and once he added minerals to their diets he remarked how much higher the weights were and how much more healthy the animals were. He was also very quick to say minerals and to not use a lot of salt.

In the past I've used Trophy Rocks and they attracted deer well. For some reason I never read the ingredients until one year I had a TR that the deer just wouldn't touch, trail camera proved it. I had bought into the 'it's for the benefit of the deer' and never did any research into what it really contained, that was when I decided to start looking at other alternatives. As you start looking at ingredients you can start to understand which products are an attractant and which may actually benefit deer, the same philosophy my uncle used on his farm. My opinion is if you want attraction without benefits you could put out a TR, salt blocks or something similar. However, it's my belief that more minerals in a deer's diet can only benefit the deer, buck or doe. Like my uncle had said at the time 'it works for livestock, I can't see how deer wouldn't benefit from it'.

20. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interresting