Solo Hunters or Group Hunters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys look at bow hunting as a personal adventure and quest or is it more group activity and about getting together with friends and fellow hunters to hunt?

If solo do you avoid hunting with others and if your about hunting with others would you still hunt if your friends didn't?

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I am a little older I enjoy the company at the camper, but will not "hunt" with them. Pre and post hunt, the more the merrier. During the hunt needs to be solo.

When I was younger (my twenty's) I never would hunt with anyone. Always solo.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I am going just the opposite. It used to be a social gathering for me and would of found it boring to be
    alone. Now, as I get older I find myself rather being alone and doing what I
    want, when I want, how I want.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty much a solo hunter. I find bowhunting to be a very individual activity. I have to do a lot of thinking and planning on how I want to attack my hunts. Having a group gets way too difficult to come up with a true plan of attack. Too many people with too many opinions.

5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to bow hunt solo, I don't like sharing good hunting property ;) I want to go where I want, when I want, without having to worry about messing up another person's hunt. Now if I had a couple hundred acres to hunt that would be different but I hunt 40 acre's.

I am a pretty serious bow hunter and when you are not hunting with like minded folks it can get frustrating.

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a social solo hunter.. Like to share camp with the buds.. but when its time to hunt its a solo affair

7. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solo...just because I don't have anybody else to hunt with.

8. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt Solo, But never too far from someone when hunting from the tree. Plus, camp is boring after talking to yourself for so long

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solo hunting for me. Mainly because I haven't found anyone around here that is as die hard as I am and my work schedule is so much different then everyone else's. I found myself spending more time waiting on others then I was hunting.

I hope to share more hunts with my children as they get older!

10. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys,

I from a huge Michigan family and I'm the only one that hunts! Go figure. With that, the guys goy my into hunting/bow hunting 6 years ago are now realizing how hard bow hunting is and our moving on to rifles or Xbows. Its a pain trying to get everyones schedules in synch to hunt together and so I'm starting to think I need to just focus on my own hunting and if we get together great if not great. It's certainly great having the help to blood trail hogs and clean them not to mention BSing around the campfire afterwards. I do love the solitude but sometimes it feels I'm being anti-social and start to worry about myself:)

11. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunt next to my father but I prefer to hunt with other people so when its lunch time, i have more people to talk to.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am a solo hunter. I don't have many friends that deer hunt. The ones I do will hunt with me sometimes when we are not chasing certain bucks. I don't avoid hunting with others I just don't have any to hunt with. The land I hunt primarily is hunted by the owner who is a gun hunter. So during bow season I have it all to myself. I love hunting with my Dad and I am going to do more of it this year and years to come. And H-LL NO! I will deer hunting if I was the only bow hunter on the planet.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  13. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I invite others to hunt upland game, but not deer. I only bowhunt with my father.

14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solo...even on out if town hunts. I can't find anyone around here as into bowhunting and hunting other states as I am.

15. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I team hunt. One guy on the scope and one guy on the stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd prefer the group hunting but my only option is to solo hunt.

I know a few guys that do bowhunt but they don't seem to be the hardcore type.

17. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get "group hunting" out of the way during dove season. Then I get 2 months "solo" with just a couple of other guys bowhunting before gun season opens and it gets crowded. And by then its waterfowl season which is also a much better as a "group".

18. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. So a lot of us our in the same boat. Solo hunters but not necessarily by choice.

Ok, so it's not just me and if I'm going to bow hunt then I need to focus on doing it more alone than with others.

19. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with my son we have 6 to 10 stand sites we scout and do all the homework and when the season comes we just let each other know what stand we hunt that day

20. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Im strickly solo with the exception of my Kids! Until my 2016 Colorado Elk then im hunting with 3 great guys thats just as serious as I am. All the hunters I hunted with in my area over the years were more of a hendrence than help. I liked the guys, but like having a clear head hunting like I like to hunt. I dont have to worry about setting dates and times to get with them, or fret over them trying to change my hunting plans for another plan. To me part of hunting is getting it done myself, its a good feeling when its 100% done by my lonesome!