Back-up Bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dubbya, May 27, 2014.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The term "back-up bow" always gets me... Maybe I'm just super ultra lucky, but I've never even had a time when I was even remotely close to needing a back-up bow. I always had a "back-up bow" because I just wanted to have two bows or I would have a 3D bow and a hunting bow... I remember owning two brand new bows, and one being a "back-up"... IMcurrentO that was assigning, back then, I thought it was pretty sweet. I can admit that now that I'm older :D. At the end of that year I had one used bow and one new bow that was worth a lot less because it was a yr older :D

So, three questions:

1. Do you have a back-up bow?
    2. Have you ever 100% NEEDED a back-up bow?
    3. Is your back-up because you just want two bows or because you think you'll actually need one?

2. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, three questions:

1. Do you have a back-up bow? Not yet, but will be picking one up later this year.
    2. Have you ever 100% NEEDED a back-up bow? Yes, I hunted all day one Saturday and while trying to place my BH tipped arrow into my quiver I cut some of the strands on my string. Shop closed on Sunday so had to wait till Monday for repairs, and then for the ordered string to come in as they didn't have one in stock. Thankfully a close friend had a "back-up" and we spent Sunday afternoon getting it dialed in for me, and made it out to hunt the rest of the week until my new string arrived.
    3. Is your back-up because you just want two bows or because you think you'll actually need one? You never know what MAY happen IMHO, so why not have a back-up just in case.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I almost always have a few bows at any given time. The last few years since I burned out on target stuff I've slimmed things down but still usually have at least two hunting oriented bows setup and ready to go.

I've only needed a backup one time though for hunting. A failed nock caused a splintered limb on my primary bow during practice and luckily I had a Diamond Marquis already setup to use while I was waiting on replacement limbs. I have had a couple of failures during 3D tourneys that I wasn't prepared for and cost me dearly. I've also seen a LOT of mid-season hunting bow disasters when I worked at a shop years ago. Everything from dropped bows, to failing arrow rests, to broadhead cut strings/cables.

I like having one because 99% of the time I'm hunting I have to travel overnight, and don't have a full shop at my disposal like at my house. Plus it's a great sounding excuse for the wife that sounds believable on why I need more than one at all times. :beer::tu:

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Two is one and one is none. ;)

1. Yes. And a back up for the back up.
    2. No. But I did render my primary bow inoperable during a hunt. I've also rendered my bowfishing bow useless.
    3. Yes and no. I have several bows. Two are almost identical. A 2005 and a 2008 bowtech equalizer. Others range from an Oneida to a TNT to recurves and longbows. Rather have them and not 'need' them than not have them.

:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

5. Faster

Faster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a back up bow, but only because I didn't sell my old bow to get my new one. I must admit i actually hunted with my old one since getting the new one when I was waiting for new strings unexpectedly.

6. Mwebber1026

Mwebber1026 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1- yes
    2- YES, one time lowering my bow to the ground my haul line broke, my bow fell about 22 feet and i bent a cam. The shop didn't have one in stock and it had to be ordered.
    3- Ever since that incident I always have a back up, and a back up back up.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes.

No.

Both. I have #80 limbs on the back up bow for bigger game and if I ever need it. Having just one bow could really kill a planned hunt if something goes wrong with your main bow. I also have a back up set of strings already broken in for each bow that lii travel with.

8. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I have a backup bow, no, I never needed it, and its just because I wanted another bow for this year, stepped up and bought myself a better bow as my hunting bow, last years bow will be my back up bow. Strother SX Rush my hunting bow and PSE Stinger 3G my backup bow.

9. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

Yes. I have since 2009.

Yep. Two seasons ago, I dropped my Sentinel out of my stand during a downpour when I was getting things around to get down (slipped right out of my hands). The bow didn't suffer any permanent damage, but was out of tune. I didn't want to mess with it before that evening hunt (nor did I have time due to other obligations). So I used my Marquis. I ended up using the Marquis the rest of the season just because :D

3. Is your back-up because you just want two bows or because you think you'll actually need one?

I only shoot my backup as we get closer to the season to make sure everything is in line, tuned, and still ready to go. So, no, I don't really get a ton of "enjoyment" out of the second bow. It's just a fail safe.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My back-up wife won't let me have one.

11. Philip_R

Philip_R Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes since last month....:p

No, luckily not

The cable of my Bear Assault broke at full draw and after one limb was damaged I wrote of the bow and got a Dangerous Game 90lb Hoyt Maxxis. Bear repaired the Assault under warranty, so now I have 2, both BH tuned and on the money, the Bear will be the backup with 510gr arrows @ 270ft/s and 70lbs with a fool prove whisker biscuit rest.

12. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. I have an older bow that I can use as a back up if needed but I never really call it a back up.
    2. I try my best to take care of my bow so I don't think anyone truly NEEDS a back up.
    3. I keep my old bows because of the memories not because i think ill need a back up, or even want a back up.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. Yes I have a backup bow.
    2. Not yet. But with me going on Hunting trips out of town more and more, it was suggested for me to get one. I don't want to be in a situation where something happens my bow and I don't know the area or where a good bow shop is located.
    3. No. My primary reason was to have the back up bow in case of an emergency. I have thought about buying additional bows, but there is no need other than to collect them.

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always have a back-up. I have needed it exactly once, during turkey season. I spotted a ding in a cam on my "good" bow and some wear on the string. So, to be safe, I took my back-up bow and shot a turkey with it that morning. I mainly have one for hunting trips. I would feel pretty stupid to go on an expensive trip and not get to hunt because I had some kind of issue with my bow.

15. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. Do you have a back-up bow? Not anymore. But I used to. I found that it was just a pain to make sure I had two bows ready and tuned to go. I found just concentrating on one bow was easier. If I end up having a problem I guess I don't hunt. Oh well.
    2. Have you ever 100% NEEDED a back-up bow? It would of been nice a few years back where a spring broke in my fall away rest. But I was able to get by.
    3. Is your back-up because you just want two bows or because you think you'll actually need one? dna

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. No
    2. No
    3. NA

Currently shooting a 2006 Bear Instinct... Sure wish I had a back up bow.

18. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Because I couldn't decide between the 2 I wanted, 1 has 80# limbs for bigger critters. Most comes down to its something I enjoy the heck out of and can do with my kids. Great thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Michigan Man

Michigan Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. No I do not but have been thinking about it. Since I need to upgrade from my current bow.

2. No
    3. I would want it incase something would happen to my current bow that would prevent me from finishing my season if I didn't have a back up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

20. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. Do you have a back-up bow? Yes
    2. Have you ever 100% NEEDED a back-up bow? Yes, when I cut my strings accidentally.
    3. Is your back-up because you just want two bows or because you think you'll actually need one? Both.