Lighted Knocks & P.Y.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frenchbritt123, May 23, 2014.

1. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know some of you could give a rats *** about pope and young, but I feel it is a great club that strides to help the bow hunting community. I am a member and enjoy the data, stats, etc. that they share.

The point of my post, I will now be purchasing lighted knocks, I just received this email:

Lighted Nocks will be Acceptable; Other By-law Changes Passed

TO: Pope and Young Club Members,

Standard lighted nocks and bow-mounted cameras will be exempted from the "no electronics attached to the bow or arrow" rule, as a result of changes to the Club's By-laws that had passed a vote of the Board of Directors and passed ratification by the voting membership.

Since the late 1980s, the Club has had bowhunting equipment definitions and a Rule of Fair Chase that addresses electronic devices. Among other things, those stated "no electronics attached to the bow or arrow." This is part of the Club's By-laws constitution and governs the acceptability of animals for entry into the Club's Records Program ("the record book").

The significant change, the result of much internal discussion/debate over many years, creates exemptions that read as follows:

RULES OF FAIR CHASE #7: [Not] by the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game, or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached, with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in rangefinding, sighting or shooting the bow.

DEFINITION OF A HUNTING BOW, EXCLUSIONS #2: Electronic or battery-powered devices shall not be attached to a hunting bow, with the exception of recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in rangefinding, sighting or shooting the bow.

DEFINITION OF A HUNTING ARROW, EXCLUSIONS #1: No electronic or battery-powered devices shall be attached to the arrow, with the exception of lighted nocks.

This change will officially go into effect on August 1, 2014, as new Fair Chase Affidavits are created and distributed to our corps of volunteer official measurers. The change IS RETROACTIVE -- meaning that animals previously taken, as well as those taken from this point forward, will now be eligible to be entered into the Records, provided they meet all other conditions/criteria.

The By-law change language passed voting membership ratification by a vote of Yes-296 (75%), No-101 (25%).

Also passed as By-law changes by the Board of Directors and ratified by the voting membership:

The creation of a "Lifetime" payment option for Regular and Senior Members---a dues payment option, referred to as Lifetime Regular (or Senior) Membership, shall be available to existing Regular or Senior Members in good standing for a one-time fee of $2,500 for persons prior to age 65, or $2,000 for those persons 65 and older. This change was ratified by a vote of 345-53 (87%-13%).

Adjustment to the Lifetime General Membership fee---a dues payment option for General Members, known as Lifetime General Membership, shall be available to new or existing General Members for a one-time fee of $750 for persons prior to age 65, or $500 for those persons 65 and older. This change was ratified by a vote of 347-46 (88%-12%).

These two changes will be implemented immediately.

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely good to hear. Thanks for the update.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bout time!!!!!

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update. I didn't care much for them because of that. It is not like Lighted Nocks made you a better shot. So glad to hear they changed that.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's great news. Glad they came around and hope states like CO follow suit.
    That was the reason I never cared to join P&Y so I just may join now.

Thanks for the update.

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome news!!! Might give some a shot this year now!

7. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    now if you could just use them in idaho!

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know lots of guys that have a P&Y in the books without the asterisk next to their score and they used lighted nocks. :p But it is about time.....

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am surprised. I am not anti-P&Y but they are known for being stuck in their ways. I doubt I will ever enter an animal but it's good to know.

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The asterisk up to this point had nothing to do w lighted nocks... It was against club policies to enter their deer period.

P&Y had an overhaul recently in upper management with a new group of guys more mindful of how to grow the club into the future (members total far less than 1% of total archers in America alone which is unacceptable). I saw this coming and agree with the change. No one can logically win a debate with me on how a camera or lighted nock gives you an unfair advantage.

The best thing they did was make it a retroactive rule to not cause a WW3.

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I may join Aug. 1st 2014 just so they know my stance.

I wonder if the damage is already done with so many state also adopting the anti-Any electronics on bows rules?

Ps. Anybody know what the fine is for have lighted nocks and a camera on your bow in CO? I'd really like to self film my hunts there:-/

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was a figure of speech. Nothing to do with the asterisk. My point is it was a stupid rule and there was no way to enforce it.

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well technically there is no way to enforce any of their rules... If someone wants to lie on their entry, they could enter a poached deer that was hit by a car first. P&Y relies on honesty for all entries.

I agree it was a dumb rule though.

I will point out that not many states are adopting a "no electronics" stance, in fact... there are very few states left still holding their ground and I think they too will change.

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish they life membership 15 years ago...that's about how long I been a member. At this point it doesn't pay to buy the lifetime member ship. But it something to keep in mind if my son or daughter takes up bow hunting in the future.

15. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True they do but just like bowhunting.coms contest they need 2 differnt angle pics with bow in picture and also another person to sign off on the kill that it was legit. I'd bet theres lots of poached animals in the books.

Agree as well.

16. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    I just entered one and 4 angles are needed, with plenty of other info. P&Y is not perfect, but after recently going through the process I assure you it is not as easy as some think to cheat.

Attached Files:

17. NJGobbler

NJGobbler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing against P&Y...I'm on their side. But I think there were many more important issues than lighted nocks in the record books. Personally speaking.

18. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    While I'm not anti-P&Y, I'm not necessarily a fan either. I agree 100% that it was a ridiculous rule and am glad for the guys that want to enter deer. When they fry the 'net scoring' fish, I might think about being a member. Hopefully this is a turn of many positive events for the future of P&Y, it has potential to be a great club...

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to think having a buck in a book was awesome...hence entering my first one in Buckmasters and P&Y....but since then I have grown to despise the measuring system as it deducts and puts way too much emphasis on antler production not maturity of the deer. I do see this as a step in the right direction as the nock doesn't allow the archer to be anymore deadly....it just won't make a ounce difference in my life because I just don't enter my deer.

20. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    "grown to despise the measuring system as it deducts and puts way too much emphasis on antler production not maturity of the deer" - Do you think mass measurements help at all?