Situation Ethics - Would You Take The Shot?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, May 20, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started a thread years ago on the old site and it sparked awesome conversation ....90% of the guys on here never saw this, so.....

Ok .... let's hear what you think ..... also, has either happened to you?

Scenario 1. You found a great spot just 30 yards from someone else's property that you DON'T have permission to hunt ..... the biggest buck you have ever seen walks the fence line on HIS property ... he is walking slowly, stopping for 10 seconds at a time ... it is obvious he is just going to follow the fence line away from the property you hunt ..... do you shoot?

Scenario 2. You are hunting from the same stand, the previous scenario has not happened, the same buck comes by on the property you are hunting, you drill him at 20 yards ... he runs, jumps the fence, then dies 10 yards on the other property ... again. you have been told that you will be prosecuted if the landowner ever found you on his property ...... do you get the buck? In the area you are hunting, the neighbor is great friends with the CO and there is not a law stating that he has to let you recover your deer.....

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. No

2. No. But I'd ask the neighbor again if I could get the deer. I can be very convincing. :D
    :ninja:

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With my situation in the ground I hunt, yes to both. But only because I've known the neighbors since I was little I just can't hunt the land because somone else does.

If it wasn't that way,
    1- no
    2- they would get a phone call or face to face conversation then I'd get the deer anyway. But really it was only ten yards on other side of line I'd probably just drag it over and nothing would be said. The way it is here now if you don't get the deer you can be prosecuted too so its a lose lose kind of. Or I'd just call the DNR.

In all reality idk what I'd do, never had either situation occur so can't really say.

4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. No

2. I would contact the landowner and have him go with me so I could show him exactly what happened. The scenario doesn't state that there is bad blood, so I have to assume that he/she may be nice enough to let me get my deer without any problems.

Forgot to add that neither situation has ever happened to me.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. No

[​IMG]

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. No
    2. I wouldn't hunt 30 yards from the property line in that situation.

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No on the first

Yes on the second It's only ten yards and I wouldn't care if someone did the same.

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Along those lines, I have quite a selection of bowfishing arrows with excellent holding heads and 200 lb test line. :D

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. Definitely no. If it's on his property, I am not in my rights to shoot and it's unfair to him.

2. I'll go an ask permission. All of my neighbors are incredibly friendly and have known them since I was an infant. However, if it was someone I didn't know I would politely ask to retrieve my deer and if they said no, then I would just hop the fence since it's 10 yards. Any farther than that and I would respect their wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. no

2. Yes

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. No

2. Not without permission

Blessings........Pastorjim

12. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. I want to say no but I might just do it.
    2. I would call the CO and explain the story and ask if he can try and convince him to let me get the buck. If that didnt work i would call the land owner and explain the situation and ask if he want to join me to get the buck. Ill even give him half of the deer meat if he wanted it.

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And if he said no?

14. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of honest people on here....but how honest when nobody is looking is the question.

Iowa laws state that I can go across the property line without permission to retrieve the deer, as long as I'm not carrying a weapon so regardless of what the guy says I'm getting my deer.

15. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. No i wouldnt shoot

2. Wouldnt even think about it and wouldnt even mention it to the landowner.

We actually had this scenario play out last year during an organized dog hunt and someone called the landowner and he came ready to raise hell and then realized he was being a d!%^ and there wasnt an issue. It just happened that my buddy had shot a deer very early in the hunt pretty close to the line before he came and we were dragging the deer out when he showed up. Here we can recover an animal long as we dont have a weapon. We did it the correct way with no gun, no harm to his land, on and off very quick.

17. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. No
    2. Yes

18. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. Nope.

2. I'm going to get the deer. If I felt it necessary, I'd ask for permission after the deer was in the back of my truck. At that point, if he wants to see the blood trail, I'm more than happy to show him.

I whip out my video camera and film me recovering it, with clear and convincing evidence that the animal was shot on my property.

I'd rather beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I'd be happy to pay a trespassing fine if the buck was that big. No judge in the world is going to force me to give the buck back after he sees the video. (just in case the property owner is a total idiot)

What kind of moron would actually stop a person from recovering a dead animal?

You guys seriously have some strange neighbors. Where I'm from, this wouldn't even be a second thought. Of course you go get the animal. Honestly, it wouldn't even cross my mind to ask for permission.

19. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1) No, but only because I've made enough mistakes to learn to keep that kind of temptation out of my life in any way. The test is NOT putting the treestand that close to a property you have no entitlement on.

2) No, unless given permission. I'm a land owner and I had several cams set up in pretty sweet spots, I purposely stayed away until I was going to hunt them. The day I came in boot tracks all over, and half dozen pics of some joker walking around on my land.

Don't put yourself in that situation is the best way to avoid it, goes for bowhunting too :-)

20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    that seems like a really stupid law that puts the individual retrieving the animal at great risk of being assaulted for trespassing. I have been accosted by armed landowners for fencewalking before. Some people are really uptight about even the appearance that you MIGHT be considering crossing their property line.