My quest for a public land buck! PRE-SCOUT

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, May 17, 2014.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Although i own a little honey spot of land, i want to keep it that way and minimize the pressure at all costs. I plan on controlling that by also hunting on my old stomping ground on public land. Not to sound greedy, but this hunt for me is only for a wall hanging buck, no does, a 120's class would work..
    My father has had plenty of success here, shooting multiple bucks, 2 great ones on the wall and several smaller ones, and I have shot my fair share as well, BUT nothing over a small 4 pointer, I want my public land wall hanger too!! my father has been hunting here since the early 80's, he knows it pretty well, but is old now and hasn't ever gone to deep at all. (never hunted near the pond) I'm turned off by our previous spots due to seeing very little buck activity/sign the last few years i hunted there, as well as evidence of shotgun season hunters.
    Now to the good stuff!!!
    The land....the state forest is over 9000 acres of pure hardwoods, and some steep rugged terrain as you will see in the topo maps.
    The land has little to no pressure in archery season. the last 3 years my father and i hunted, we saw no other vehicles or signs of archers in the sections we hunt. no treestands, no trail markers no trash, NOTHING, I have not encountered another hunter in the woods there in the last 10 seasons i hunted, on a walking trail or anywhere!! shotgun and ,muzzle loader sees a few people, but nothing of an orange army! There are 3 public access points, i pass by one which is always empty, and my father passes by the other which is always empty. the main reason for this i believe is that public land archery in this perticular state is only sept 15th till nov.18th, and next to the state forest is a state park which is "archery only hunting" area from sep15-jan 31st. PLUS private land is the long sept-jan season as well. so this is the main reason why i think it sees little traffic. we never go near the archery only area, as it is heavily pressured and im pretty sure plenty of hunters find themselves over the lines edging into the state forest. take note of the scale and how big this area is. for example, it takes me (on a normal pace walk) 30-45 minutes to get to the lake on the logging trail, and thats going DOWNHILL!! the lake itself is a glorified swamp, which has flooded over the trail with only a small 18" wide DEM/forest ranger made plank walkway over it, meaning if i go over it, carting a deer out isn't happening! and it is extremely steep on the other side as the contours show. We always access this land from the noted spot. There are hardly any houses that abut the land for easier access, and i don't wish to access it from any other area.

MAP I:
    remember the map scale, and the contour lines are 3 METER changes in elevation

LEGEND:
    thick black lines = boundry lines.
    Red lines = logging trails
    red blob = parking/access area
    purple dots = previous hunting areas where we have had success along ridges and water crossings and bedding areas
    blue lines = small streams seasonal depends on storms

It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get to a stand (pre hung) and be hunting in the old spots.

[​IMG]

MAP II
    a zoomed in view of the topo lines

remember the map scale, and 3 meter eleavation change in contour lines
    Black dashed lines = logging trails
    Red Blob = parking/access area
    Red circle, previous hunting area
    fat blue line = swamped over trail with walking planks.
    Green circle area = i really like the looks of this area, I've never been here....however to just GET there would take at LEAST ONE HOUR,(going at a very rapid pace walk/jog) not to mention how steep of a climb it would be, making it a very sweaty entry, so changing at the base of the tree or in the tree would be required. if a buck were shot there it would be quartered and only the best meat and head is taken.

[​IMG]

here is the image from google earth.....nothing but woods!!
    the red lines are rough sketches of the logging trails
    the green line is covering the road which is not there.

[​IMG]

NOTE: the green line road/trail ends at the last house, google maps is wrong showing it go that far up. There is NO parking area there, and the road is not big enough to park off the side of the road, rendering it useless unless i get dropped off, which is not going to happen.

I was thinking of possibly using a mountain bike, but the cost is a huge issue, and im trying to avoid those said costs!! but i could only go as far as the pond, it would probably take me only 10 minutes tops to get to the pond area, (cutting my time down ALOT though) and then i would have to ditch the bike in the woods and walk the rest of the way. PLUS i only have a car, so i would need to get a bike rack, and that is gonna add up quickly in $$, which isn't gonna happen. Unless i hide the bike in the woods somewhere near the parking area??
    I honestly do not like the mountain bike idea though....

thoughts? any areas you would look at??

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SAYING: " look for pinch points, look for food sources.

it's 9000 acres of hardwoods full of food sources! if you see a funnel pinch point.... POINT IT OUT!!!

Thanks!

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love these types of threads. I aint much of a big buck killer but I like looking at maps and topograhy.

3. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a lot to learn about maps...especially the pinch point/funnel thing everyone always brings up. So I will be following and see what others say so maybe I can apply it to a piece of public land I will be hunting next year (2 pieces if I get to make the Ohio get together hunt).

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I`m just starting to learn how to read these maps, thanks for sahring.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I marked a few spots in dark blue (they're difficult to see) that stand out to me. The spot I marked "1", seems like a pinch point, it should be the easiest spot for deer to cross the ridge and the pond also should steer the deer through the area. The other areas look like possible bedding areas.
    [​IMG]
    Also with hilly country, when you're scouting or hunting, think of the below graphic.
    [​IMG]
    The military crest of a hill is where a buck can travel in the safest manner, he can smell anything from above or below. During the rut, in hill country, it's the quickest way from him to cover as much ground as possible checking for hot does. It's going to be the highest percentage area to catch a buck cruising during daylight. Once you start to buy into this concept, like I have, big buck travel really starts coming together.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Without knowing anything about the spot you hunt I really like the spot I marked in purple with "1". It has really steep slopes, is a good distance from other hunters, and large expanses of terrain come together into one small spot. I would consider this a rut spot.

Good luck with your quest Swamp, I look forward to your posts this fall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  7. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Virginiashadow on that spot, its the first break in two long line of steep slope.

8. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the looks of the southwest side of the pond. Deer like to travel just inside waters edge. Ill be honest with ya. Hunting hardwoods like this, I like to put my feet on the ground and walk walk walk. Look for deer highways. You will find these if you put a few hours in. When you find one hang a stand and hunt it late oct and rut only. These are doe travel trails and normally not used by bucks early season. It's hard to hunt big mature bucks in hardwoods early season. You have to know where he beds and eats and its almost impossible to find this out without glassing fields. Always keep an eye out for those big beds and when you find one hang a camera.

9. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff! Thanks for the graphic, i totally get it now and it makes ALOT of sense! I really like that "1" area and the small hill crest above it, with the swamp on the other side of the hill.

Virginiashadow: to be honest i didnt even look over there! lol! Thanks for pointing that area out, it looks like a straight line shot down the trail, and then only a little ways off the trail. making it the easiest and quickest of spots to get to. DEFINATELY worth checking out!

Mckaax: Do you think that could be a long funnel/travel area? between the steep hill and the swamp? I grew up hunting these hardwoods, and if you even see a buck in a season you've had a great year!! not because they are not there, but because there is sooo much land and such little pressure its like finding a needle in a haystack. BUT i havent hunted there in a few years, and back then i wasn't as serious about it as i have been the past 3 years, and i now know what to look for. I was leaning towards late october and 2nd week of november for these hunts. most likely i will only be able to hunt here 3-4 all day sits at best.

I'm really kicking myself for waiting so long to decide to do this, because now there are leaves on the trees making scouting alot harder. my plan was to do this next year in 2015 and do all my scouting during the winter months, spending many days of walking walking walking.
    Thanks guys!

10. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    here's a few zoomed in views of areas being brought up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second image/map i'm not to sure about mainly because of the parking issue mentioned earlier. i have no means of being dropped off, but this wil be the first thing i check out, the parking issue and if there IS room to park my car rather than my f250 i used to have.

11. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Using the "military crest" graphic/tactic, im thinking the white line would be an area for a run.
    the red line would be my entry path. the red dots are possible stand locations, #1 being the preferred area i would think. the predominant wind is west, northwest, so hopefully my scent would blow over the run, if not i plan on using a racoon urine scent drag to cover me up. it's gonna be a long tiring walk to get there, but im in the process of getting into road race running shape as a new hobby, so that will give me the stamina and tolerance to hopefully prevent to much sweating!

[​IMG]

any thoughts? anyone else?

12. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    I feel the military crest you marked is a little off. I marked below in orange the line I'd walk.
    [​IMG]
    You say the pond is more like a swamp, if it is truly a swamp and deer can cross I'd check out the island on the south end of the pond, those could hold big buck bedding, especially if there are oaks on the islands. The other areas I'd walk would be vegetation transition lines, where two types of vegetation meet. The edges of the swamps and the hardwoods in the map you posted would be worth a check.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could you edit one of the maps outlining how far you would be willing to walk. Other good areas to far away really don't matter if you cannot get to them.

14. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread love these topics. Learning a lot just watching.

15. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree with purebowhunting on the military crest. As well as agree, i'll reinforce a topic presented earlier. Thermals and wind direction. You mentioned that the wind will be coming from the west and northwest predominantly. Keep in mind that there are 2 types of thermals (i'm trying to think of the names but can't to save my life). Anywho, the thermal in the morning rises "up" the hill (as heat from the sun warms the cool air in the hollow) and the thermal in the afternoon falls "down" the hill (as the air begins to cool). Bare with me here, I know it's kind of lengthy. So, presuming that you're making an all day hunt and get in their early (if you hunt your number 1 spot, which I like) then at the military crest the west wind and the morning thermal will cause a horizontal vortex. This allows a buck to bed and keep his scent hidden from potential danger, as well as enable him to scent check west of him and east of him. Can you picture this? I'll draw a picture if need be and explain further.

I think you have a pretty deadly spot for your number 1. If anything favor to the east a little bit more, unless you have visual of the military crest from up in the tree.

My family owns private farms in the hills of southeastern Ohio, after reading about this method, we gave it a shot, changing our entire tactics of hunting. Needless to say, more mature bucks were spotted and put to rest!

16. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Can't thank you enough for the info/knowledge you've shared!!
    looking at the aerial photo of the swamp, the island might be worth checking out, I'll check it out on my way out.

I'm willing to walk as far as it takes. if its a good spot i will do it. i have no problem walking 1-2 miles in.
    point it out!!!!

I'm totally understanding what your saying about the thermals. Once i find the run on the military crest i will set my stand 15-20 yards off of it in the general area, more east of #1!!

With all this being said....for a late october/2nd week of november all day sit, When do you feel i should approach this stand to prevent being busted?? i have no problem whatsoever being situated in the tree 2 hours before sunrise..meaning if sunrise is at 600am, i would be situated in tree waiting to knock an arrow by 4am. (meaning leaving my car @245am, meaning leaving my house @145am...meaning getting up at my normal work time 1230am....hardcore stuff...friggen LOVE IT!!!!!)

OR should i go in once it's light out?

Unfortunately i won't be able to scout/hang a stand till June 7th....UGHH!!!

for this setup it's going to be the lonewolf assault all the way! I plan on setting up and leaving a cheapo 3 pak of sportsmans guide sticks, a LW "ez" hang hook and a big game lifeline.
    I will carry in the LW stand and one LW stick with me. I plan on being in unscented shorts and unscented short sleeve tshirt for the walk in, and getting changed at the tree once i cool down.

17. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your entrance and exit are much more important than when you go in. In October when they aren't moving much, bump them and your done for the day. November they come and go all hours of the day, so you may have a little more room for error then. If you walk through where they are it doesn't matter if t is 3am or 30 minutes after first light.

A successful old timer named Roger Rothhaar from Ohio was a large proponent of going in after the sun rises and he has some great bucks to his credit. I feel I would be giving up prime hunting time using this tactic. However, it has worked for him.

19. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great topic!
    When I first saw the map, my eyes immediately went to the saddle that you and others keyed in on (someone put a 1 on it). However, a couple other spots that might be promising are marked with blue dots on this image. I realize that one is east and off the property, but it looks like an awesome saddle, and maybe you can get permission over there someday. Anyway, my northernmost dot is in a possible funnel that would take advantage of bucks who are squeezed between the swamps going north and south. Also, deer would be reluctant to run through the swamps, and so would go around the ends. A stand overlooking this intersection could be very productive.

Another spot is the blue dot in the center, just north of the word "state". There is a drainage cut that looks as though it makes it hard for deer to cross for the lower half of the hill. The dot is overlooking a bench at the top of the cut, and backs up against a steep hill just east of the dot. Drainage cuts can be dynamite, as they force deer into a very small area. You could approach it from the red logging road to the east, just over the hill. With a west wind and morning thermals, you never have to foul the trail with your scent. Be careful in the evening when thermals reverse. I'd bet you'll find a heck of a trail at that location.

A drainage cut is usually one of the first places I'll look in a new area. You can eliminate an awful large amount of unproductive land in a hurry with a topo map and a little scouting. I hope you chime back in after you scout it and tell us what you've found.

Best of luck!

forum1 Blue.jpg

Attached Files:

20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy to discuss any of the spots I picked. These are November areas I marked since you mentioned that is when you would be there. Sorry the color I chose was so close to yours. All my spots have a corresponding blue arrow to avoid confusion. My top left arrow is a touch out of place should be closer to the intersection of the lines.

This is why I asked you to mark how far you are able to walk, because most of the spots I liked are way past where you have hunted which you said was an hour walk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2014