The shot oportunity is close, it goes wrong!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bloodcrick, May 16, 2014.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious as it has happened to me many times. your shot opportunity is nearing weather it be target Buck or a very fine eating Doe, then it goes south, the tables turn, the shot opp is walking off, no arrow launched OR arrow launched and it either missed or turns into a knot in the stomach mess up. What are some things that has went wrong for you? Was you able to learn from it and apply it in later hunts?

2. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one that haunts me the most:

(5 or 6 years ago) Maybe 150"er, was walking out at first light into a cut corn field. If he goes south, he goes away from me, if he goes north he will come right to me. He decided to go north. I am standing and waiting. He is one of those you look at once and try not to look at again. I got my bow pulled back well before he was broadside and waited. He passed a mature tree and walked into the wide open at 10 yards and broadside. I made a light grunt with my mouth to stop him from walking and it was like I had shot a cannon at him. He was gone in an instant.

Did I learn? I will never take a shot at one walikng or running, that is just me, as I don't practice walking or running shots. If I was in the exact situation again I would just be more patient and hope he stopped. If he got further out and was leaving my range I would then try a grunt to stop him.

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very last day of early bow season last year. Had 3 does come in on all sides of me. Went to draw on the first...the second busted. Left the third standing confused. I accidentally tripped my release as i drew on her.

I still kick myself for that.

4. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This past archery season i had a 130" 9 pt with a 19" spread coming right down the tree line to me. As he got near i started to draw and then my safety harness made a clank where it attatched to the tree and he was gone. I have changed how i attatch my harness to the tree to prevent this in the future.

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Too many times Dan. I don't have all day to type. Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had a 162" ten at 30 yards and feeding closer, his path was going to give me a 25 yard broadside or quartering away shot. I passed on the 30 yards slight quarter to, then he changed direction. I had one last opening at 32-35 yards before he was in thick brush. I rushed the shot and hit him high and back. Neighbor shot him a week later chasing does. Learned to never rush a shot and not to always wait for that perfect shot. In range, high percentage, arrow flies!

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The one that haunts me was the 2010 season. It would have probably been THE most memorable kill for the rest of my life. Sitting in the same stand, on the same day, at the SAME hour (within 10 minutes actually) of when I killed my 9 the year before, I had a piebald 8 that the area had been talking about, walk across the plot, and stand in the EXACT same scrape where I let the arrow fly the year before (let's be honest, how often does it all come together like this :D). I just clean over his back :(

Why? I wasn't practicing shooting sitting down enough, and I took that shot sitting down. I know I rocked my arm rather than bending at the waste, probably had a bad anchor, punched the shot, etc., I just rushed every aspect of it. To this day, I know it's unlikely I will ever get a shot at a piebald again. THAT'S why I take practice shots more seriously now. I also have a shot routine I FORCE myself to follow and think through in the field. I can't let my mental game beat me. Sometimes I'll even practice this on doe as they walk into range even if I have no intentions of shooting. I walk myself through what I need to do (breathe, stay calm, focus on a spot, draw, anchor, settle, etc.,).

8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stand creaking at the wrong time - make sure all is quiet
    Bow noise drawing - don't assume your bow is quiet enough--- KNOW it is
    Getting busted drawing - never draw until you can't see the black of their eye ball
    Walking deer make for a bad target- Make sure they are stopped before picking the spot
    Big bodied deer makes good racks look small - Know body sizes and don't second guess your first instinct to shoot
    Shooting over or under a deer - practice shooting from a sitting position and make sure and bend at the waist on sharp downward angles.
    Equipment failure- always carry a backup release and arrow rest

Still learning and trying to apply those lessons every time a close encounter happens!

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  9. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Long story short, the biggest 8 pointer I have ever seen on the hoof chases a doe into a clearing and stands broadside at 20 yards with his head down sniffing the ground. The only thing between me and his chest was one tiny tree about the size of my thumb. I came to full draw and said there is no way I could ever shoot that tiny tree so there is no way I can hit it now. I aimed at his chest like that little tree wasn't even there and squeeeeezed my release trigger and let the arrow fly.....right into that little tree. The lesson I learned(well sort of) is that if there is something between me and a deer, I'll hit it.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This buck here I call Hartford. This is a 2013 pic of him.

[​IMG]

I had him within 8 yards of my stand 2 years ago. I was watching some foxes run around and I was going to shoot one if it came in. They wandered off, I hung my bow back up and looked down. There he was! There a small branch on a limb that I did not cut. I never figured any deer would come that close. I reached up to get the bow. He heard me move and ran about 30 yards straight up hill from me. Stopped and looked right and turn and trotted out of sight. Man I was sick! I never got another chance at him in daylight. I saw him aat night all of 2012 In 2013, I had him and 2 other good bucks a lot during the Summer and early Fall last year but nothing since. I am hoping they all return at some point this year.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2006 I was on a mule deer hunt in South Dakota. I could also shoot a whitetail. One night to try something different I borrowed a climbing stand, a Summit with a front rail. I was shooting a self made take down longbow. Two hours into the hunt 3 whitetail bucks came down the trail; a decent 8pt, a big non-typical, and a MONSTER 10 pt. I decided to shoot the 10 when it got to the opening. At the shot the bottom limb of my bow hit the rail and I missed by a mile. Watching that deer and his buddies run away is forever etched into my mind. I later learned that buck was in the 160's (killed in gun season). It is still the biggest deer I've ever seen hunting.

I learned I would never again use a stand with a front rail especially with a longbow LOL.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    2007 I just plain out, shot high... knot in the stomach pretty sure the 140 class whitey lived for another season at least.

2012 Kansas, learned a lesson I had already learned... "don't be an idiot" :D enough said