whisker biscuit

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 69CamaroSS, May 11, 2014.

1. 69CamaroSS

69CamaroSS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does nobody like the whisker biscuit rest?

2. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While I'm not a fan of it they very popular and about as simple as it gets when it comes to a rest.

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are like training wheels at some point you need to give them up and graduate to a drop away

4. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's a decent rest, but in my opinion it's only positive is that it's full containment. Most of your drop aways are now full containment, so why buy the biscuit when you could buy a drop away that is also full containment.

The biscuits aren't any easier to tune. It's the same method regardless of the style of rest. If anything I feel that the biscuits may be more difficult to tune because they may show more torque.

I had a biscuit in the past and killed deer with it, but it definitely was not something I would consider again.

5. txmudnhuntEMT

txmudnhuntEMT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've read debates about wether a biscuit slows your arrow down and I see both sides on one hand it's convienant and easy on the other anything touching your arrow will slow it down to some degree but nothing you'll really notice. Biscuits are good starting but drop-aways are a step up

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a radical helical on my arrows. I tried a WB and it was very hard on my vanes due to that helical.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

7. Swampybayou

Swampybayou Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot well with a WB, and killed deer. But I recently went to a drop away. I am confident with either, I just wanted a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Philip_R

Philip_R Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a WB on my Bear Assault and had to experiment with vanes with the helical I fletch with. Settled on Blazers and have arrows that have lasted for more than a year with the same vanes. I don't use a wrap.

They will help you show if you torque the bow so it forces you to get the grip 100%. If that is all good then shooting out to 50m plus should not be a problem.

I have a QAD drop away on the Hoyt but will keep the WB on the Bear and just replace the brush every 18 months or so.

9. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    whisker biscuit is accurate. Used on the tac 15 crossbow I have seen 1" groups at 100 yards off a bench rest. They do tend to cost a couple feet per second and eat up vanes.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a trophy room full of animals that wish I did not use a WB. Its as easy and accurate as you will ever need. No reason for me to switch. I have never once had an issue with its function and it has never damaged the vanes on my arrows. In my opinion, if it is eating up vanes, then there is something wrong with the set-up, or you are using cheap vanes. No moving parts is what sells me. I have shared camps for elk and caribou with hunters that had issues with drop-away type rests that cost them hunting time. I like to hunt, not play with equipment.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent several years working in a shop. I also spent many hours in that time working on malfunctioning rests that had moving parts. Other than replacing the occasional whisker biscuit insert I never saw one malfunction or damaged. They are fool proof, plenty accurate, and don't break. I have used one on my hunting bow for many years and likely won't change anytime soon.

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What he said ....^

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's simple, and the same reason people say they use iPhones. If you can shoot consistently, regardless of the type of rest, why change it? I guess I will never understand why people think they need certain equipment to be considered an experienced hunter or good hunter. It's nonsense.

14. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have wb on both my bows, eventually I am going to switch to drop aways, dont know if itll make a difference but I just want the change.

15. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ This is incorrect.

^^^^ This is correct.

I will always have one bow with a WB on it. In 15+ years and tens of thousands of shots with a WB I never had a vane (or feather) get torn off or had a failure. I agree if it is eating up vanes it is set up wrong or you are using Quick Spins.

FWIW Last night a watched Jay Gregory miss a Mule Deer when his QAD failed to drop. HIS exact words "I guess I should have a Whisker Biscuit on my bow".

16. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

That is your opinion and I have mine I don't like them it doesn't make me wrong or him right. Jay is probably sponsored by them now never base your opinion on what somebody says who is getting paid to say positive things.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  17. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    If I am packing in or flying into a hunt, or am going to be in any situation where a repair is impossible not practical ...I am likely to slip a WB on for the hunt. Just one less thing to worry about.

18. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like how they tune.....

If I were forced to use one, I would use feathers and not blazers as they tune much better through them. I would just have to refletch my practice arrows alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I never could understand this. I haven't had any problem tuning them for anybody. The only issue I ever run into is when I have poor nock travel and in those cases it tunes poorly from any rest not just a WB.

I hate to say it but a lot of shooters would be better of with the simplicity of a WB, considering they have no clue how to tune and maintain a bow.

20. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had several cases where a feather fletch will shoot bullet holes AT MULTIPLE DISTANCES through a wb and put blazers on and there is a tail high kick, like the bristles are too stiff like we used to deal with when spring tension is too stiff. (But it's a fletch contact kick)

I can't stand that, as I am anal about a tune for a fixed blade hunting setup.

Target setups it doesn't bother me at all.

I also don't care for the less forgiving nature of the rest either. They're plenty accurate under perfect conditions but when leaning out around a tree knowing there is some torque involved,"I" don't want to be thinking about how the rest might be affecting my fixed blade tipped arrow.(especially at low poundage)

But that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 13, 2014