Good content at an all time low.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 5, 2014.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why can we no longer have any decent discussions of tactics or tactic implementation on this board? Those discussions used to always carry this board through the off season until our seasons started again.

I cannot recall a duller time ever on this board and that is saying something as I was the first non administration member on this message board.

You guys need to take "ownership" in this site again and get it back on track being the friendliest and most supportive bow hunting site on the net. This site and it's members are to good for how it's been around here.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's the off season and folks are busy with life in general but I see quite a bit of decent content all over the forum this morning. Not sure what you're complaining about or what you expect admin to do about it. I'm sure there are a lot of guys around that turkey hunting does absolutely zip for, fishing is in season now but it ain't bowhunting.

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't expect you to understand what I am talking about. You have been a member for 8 months. Not long enough to know how much good info was shared here throughout the off season.

I also said nothing about the admin doing anything, I was speaking about the members here. Read it again.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    O....K....

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not as long vetted as you Buckeye but even in my short time I have seen a decline....I think it is partially due to the lack of member ability to disagree about things...too many hot winded dudes that can't acknowledge the ability to disagree and communicate about things. I have a couple ideas about some tactical discussions perhaps some need crafted into a thread...

6. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll agree, I have been around going on 3 years, and it has declined some even since I joined. The people I have met and keep in contact with gets done more by phone or Facebook then it does here. A lot of people can't seem to take things in stride and let things just roll.

7. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In speaking with Todd at Harrisburg this year, he mentioned that the membership was down compared to years past. He said he was involved in other obligations, which caused him to let things slide for a while. With fewer people, there would be fewer conversations, and subjects than before. It will take a lot of good people to build it back up. Be patient my friend. Build it and they will come.

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Several key posters of yesteryear have since quit posting for various reasons... Being here since the very beginning I've noticed the same decline.

For me personally, it's been due to a lack of interest. Both in posting and deer hunting. Time commitments elsewhere and living 250 miles from my hunting grounds has severely limited my time afield.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well considering Todd's never really been involved with the Forum side of this business, and our registration numbers and overall site traffic are up for the past month as compared to last year I'll go ahead and chalk this up to details being lost in translation.

As to Scott's original topic - it's May. We're at the point furthest away from the end of last deer season and the start of next season, which means it's going to be slow. It's the same every year. It's finally getting warm which means people are spending time outside, kids are playing sports, etc.

Sometimes we like to reflect back on "the day" and we always think it was so much better. Whether it's reliving our high school or college years or simply looking back and saying "When I was posting here a lot, things were so much better". Truth is, I'm sure it was no better or busier in May 2008 or 2009 than it is right now.

With that said - perhaps you should start some quality threads for all of us to participate in, instead of whining about how there's no quality threads. :busted:

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not the case. There was always a lot of threads. Especially topo and or aerial threads. I am not just talking about the month of May either.

Sweet, then I can post back and forth with myself in it.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather the forums be slow than full of pure garbage and arguing like what's going on in other forums as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll post with you.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking for myself, I'm just really busy. My daughters softball schedule is brutal. We play league games on Monday nights, Pitching lessons on Tuesday, Practice on Thursday and Tournaments on Saturday and Sunday. Work is busy and I have lots of spring projects I have halfway completed. Hell, I haven't even had a chance to mow my yard yet.

I would agree that it's a little slow around here. I really try to stay active through out the year, stuff just gets in the way.

14. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't partake in new meaningful threads even if they do come back around... But I'm complaining about the lack of them as well lol.

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I understand what Scott is saying and I don't believe it has to do with the time of year it is right now either. It was also evident last fall in the heart of hunting season.

Here's what I feel it is. Back in 2008 when this site started the first members were a bunch of die hard hunters that have hunted for many years. A lot of those guys came from "the other" site and were members there for quite a few years before here. Those guys didn't grow up in the "TV hunting" age. They learned to hunt on their own or from family members.

Now, the new generation of hunters has grown up on watching the Outdoor Channel, The Sportsmans Channel and Pursuit Channel. Not to mention Fox Sports now shows a lot of hunting, as well as the advent of hunting webshows. These shows don't talk about tactics, but products. Because of sponsors, they push products that are supposed to make you a better hunter. Taking up air time with tactics doesn't pay the bills.

We can brush it off to the time of year, but today's hunters are product driven and not tactic driven.

16. returnofsid

returnofsid Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great example of get it back on track being the friendliest and most supportive :confused:

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Because we've seen most of them and don't feel like typing the same things we did a thousand times in the past.

18. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree some with what Dan is saying. I have seen a lot of the same meaningless posts repeated over the time I have been on here. Someone can only post pictures of their bow before it gets kind of old.

What Dan said about the new generation of hunters being product driven, I understand that being part of the new generation. But I also grew up hunting with the old generation. But all we did was gun hunt, so I have had I learn Bowhunting on my own. You kind of learn pretty quick who to pay attention to around here and who not. The problem is the people who you should pay attention to are probably getting tired of being a broken record and saying the same things day in and day out, just to have some newbie argue with them.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't grow up hunting, and most of what I've learned has been from trial and error and from knowledge gleaned from this site and a couple hunting shows. I'd agree that MOST hunting shows are only about promoting products and shooting deer. I don't really watch any of them. Midwest Whitetail is a much more tactics oriented show, especially their web show. I would love to see BH.com follow this model and provide more in depth information. Cover the off season, food plotting, land management, and tactics. If the web show covered a little more of that aspect, I think it might open up a little more discussion on the forum. There's nothing wrong with the way they are doing it now, but that could really add to the content. Midwest Whitetail does it very well.

20. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive noticed that alot of the people are the younger gen and really dont know much about tactics yet i guess. I posted a tactics thread last month and i posted maps and everything about this public strectch of land by me i wanna try hunting. I had one member posting about it and talking to me and marking spots on the maps that would possibly be good areas to try thanx fitz but no one else posted a thing about tactics or spots or anything. I dont think theres a decline in content , threads or members i think theres a decline in the members knowledge of tactics now adays.