3 or 4 finger releases

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em, Apr 21, 2014.

1. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking about making the switch from a wrist strap style release to a 3 or 4 finger thumb style release. I was hoping I could get some reviews or pros/cons of these style releases. recommendations are welcome!

2. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like a 3 finger and i went with the Scott Exxus and have no regrets whatsoever. It is an incredibly nice release with a crisp and adjustable trigger. The body of the release is tapered and very smooth which makes it a very comfortable option, the size of the exxus fits my hand perfectly. Yes it is pricey but it is worth every penny when compared to cheaper thumb trigger releases.

Pros to 3 finger releases:
    comfortable
    accurate
    no strap to wear or break
    more consistent (for me)
    easy to use back tension to set off trigger
    can be clipped on your loop while hunting, nothing on your wrist to make noise, add bulk, or cut off circulation
    less to worry about in the field, reach down grab your release and draw back

Cons:
    harder to keep track of when walking to and from stand
    expensive to get a good one (but worth it)
    takes some getting used to to make the transition

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How about this :) It fails 0% of the time.

mBXZSan4A0H7CZPyb3W8h1w.jpg

4. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nick_P I was looking at this one this morning actually. Looks like a pretty sweet release, gotta find somewhere i can go test a couple out. Thanks for the info!

Anyone else?

5. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot the hardcore 4 finger and scott exxus. Both are great I prefer the exxus not cause the 3 finger but cause of the release. You cant really go wrong with 3 or 4 finger

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Carter Chocolate Lite 3 finger and I love it! Everything Nick P. stated is very accurate and I think you have the right idea with trying some out and shooting a few different kinds. Thats what I did and went with what felt best for me. I like the Carters with I.T.S. trigger tension adjustment system allowing you to fully customize your trigger poundage and being able to adjust the travel as well. I have mine set with a heavier spring with little to no travel. Took me sometime to get use to as well as my anchor points were different but now I am grouping and shooting very well and it has eliminated target panic and helped me with my form. I love being able to clip it to my D-Loop but always fear of loosing it, cause its not a cheap release. Want to add a 4 finger to my gear bag as well, shot one recently and I like it also. Leaning towards the Carter Easy 1 Check out as many as you can and see what feels best for you if you decide you want to shoot a back tension style release. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I use the carter just cuz release. Its a 3 finger with thumb trigger. Really love it. I had a carter target 4. A 4 finger release and really loven it to. Only advice I could give is dont go cheap. Ive heard a lot of horror stories on the cheaper finger release s. Like theolds th ing goes you get what u pay for. Lol good luck. I think youll love a finger release better than the strap. Its out if the way and makes u shoot better. Helpful hint. Get one that's a bright color like red or blue because if you drop it in the woods its easier to find. I've done this several times. Mine is blue.

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff