Heater body suit worth it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by northern rednek, Apr 20, 2014.

1. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I've read about them but would like to know from people that use them. I live in northern Canada and hunting the rut gets real cold. Will one keep me warm in the frigid weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel my HBS is the best cold hunting clothing I've ever purchased. I picked mine up about 4 years ago, have hunted in temps as low as -10 and have never left the stand because of being cold. I wolf hunted in Canada in -30 to -40 degree temps, I used a zippo hand warmer with it, was able to hunt in temps I would have never been able to hunt in without it.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's been on my list for a while. I will have one this fall.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. They are really awesome. During gun season I sat in an open ladder stand in -5F weather with 20-30 mph winds most of the day and the only time I was cold was when I got up and unzipped to pee.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That thing is worth it's weight in gold to me. I highly recommend it.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at them last winter, I wasn't impressed with the design, instead I bought Gerbing bike gear that is actually heated and run it off a small gel cell battery. I have a coat, pants, socks and gloves...more expensive but far more practical applications and I don't have to hunt out of a giant sleeping bag.

I'm sure it's not an option for everyone either but it is another option.

7. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to get one some day. I sure wish they still made them in Predator camo or some other broad pattern that was similar though. As big as they are I would imagine half the camo they come in now would make you look huge up in a tree.

8. cityboy

cityboy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one on sale just before Christmas 2012 ($320 w/ free shipping), so last year was my first time using it during rifle season. In WI it was brutal on opening day rifle and I sat all day long. With wind chill the temp was 30 below! My water and food froze, but I stayed warm. I wasn't toasty warm, but I wasn't shivering either. I think it is a good investment. It is bulky in my opinion, which doesn't matter for rifle. However, if you will be using it to bowhunt in, you should practice zipping out of it and slinging an arrow. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

9. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been wanting to get one for several years now. Actually thinking that this will be the year that I finally do!

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

It is not even cold where you live. :poke:

11. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had mine for 3 years now and hunt in Edmonton Alberta where the temps fall to -30 quite a bit. It helps me quite a bit as I have arthritis and the warmth keeps it from affecting that aspect of my bowhunting. I have the predator fall grey and have yet been spotted by any deer or moose . It takes some practice to get the bag off yourself to grab your bow and get the shot off. It's amazing how quiet the zipper is when coming of your shoulders and opening. Surprising also how easy it is to put on while in your stand. Best winter purchase ever by me. It saves on the bulky boots you'll ware also!
    Rocky
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine has been worth every penny! It actually keeps you from spending money on expensive layering clothing so it almost pays for itself.

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Cold is relative....we had a lot of sub-zero temps last winter. -5,-10F, etc...I recall a thread a while back about how cold folks here would hunt with archery...most folks said down to 30 or 40F as I recall and a few said down into the teens, very few claimed to hunt below 10F. If we're going to use the average listed above then we have a lot of hunting season well within that range and colder.

I personally hunted several mornings in the teens last year into Jan 2014. If you're going to claim that's not cold because northern states see -20, -50F+ then no...we don't get all that cold in comparison. If you're claiming that you hunt in a T-shirt in 10F+ weather because it's not cold then I'll congratulate you on being a tough sob and we'll leave it at that, :lol:

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Perhaps you missed the poke smiley.

15. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Totally worth it. I wouldn't be able to hunt in the 20 degree weather down here without one. (That's for you Brad)

16. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best cold gear item hands down. They are easy to carry as they will strap on to your pack. They are warm and ease of use is awesome. I didn't put much stock in them when I saw them. Now if its cold and I'm sitting im in a heater body suit. I use for late season deer hutning if in a tree and for calling coyotes when its cold. You will not regret the purchase

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Hasn't anyone ever told you not to poke a sleeping bear?
    :lol: Actually that was just me jokingly responding to a poke with a semi serious reply and a :lol:.....never forget the :lol:

18. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Love my Heater body suit......not only does it keep me toasty but it actually helps keep your small movements concealed IMO like texting or eating/drinking. My only negative is they should have put pockets on the inside for storage......mine is a few years old so maybe they have them now.

19. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I too have wanted one for a couple of year. That being said its usually only about 2-3 days a year that I feel this way (After a long day of freezing while strapped to a tree). For that reason I consistently seem to find something else to spend my money on.