hand held release vs wrist strap release

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dusty_Hunts, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Dusty_Hunts

Dusty_Hunts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys,

was doing some research and was curious about this, hand held release vs wrist strap?!?! I shoot an tru fire now and I do really like it (not a hook but just a regular wrist type) but was really curious as to what you guys thought of the and held releases and is it worth switching? hunting whitetail mostly, but plans on hunting other things (money depending) and I do shoot 3d shoots. but what do you guys think of these for hunting and which brand do you choose? looking at the carter whisper, but need to find a carter dealer at a shop to shoot one first, but id like thoughts

2. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you switch to a hand held you will need to change how you anchor and probably move your peep. I like the wrist strap personally but I think that you need to use whatever you feel comfortable with..

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The "ringer" from No Limit Archery has both.

4. Dusty_Hunts

Dusty_Hunts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hmmmmm this has me really intrigued. might hav to honestly check this out. not for the wrist strap but just for the the way its shot

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both the Trufire Hardcore max and Hardcore 4 Finger. I like the Hardcore 4 finger much better. Just feels better to me. You shouldn't change your anchor point or peep. I go back and forth between the two and never change a thing.

6. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to argue here, but you anchor in the same way and same anchor point with two completely different styles of release? That seems a little strange to me. Wrist strap versus four finger and no change in point of impact or how you aim?

Sent from my iPhone

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer wrist, but understand the benefits of a hand-held.

I just know my back/shoulder muscles are much stronger than my hand/grip muscles, and you never know when you need to stay at full draw for 5 minutes while that buck moseys his way to a shooting lane. For something like 3-D I'm sure a hand-held is better but for hunting (which I do) I'll stick w/ a wrist.

8. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, i would be perfectly confident switching back and forth between my Scott Exxus and my Sabertooth buckle. If i forget one hunting i will use the other. Some people are too focused on their hand placement as an anchor point... Its not an anchor though, its just muscle memory and comfort coming into play. The string falls on my face the same way regardless, i regularly switch between a back tension, a thumb trigger, and occasionally a wrist strap and it doesnt make a darn bit of difference

9. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I can shoot either one and my anchor point is the same.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot all kinds of releases and I adjust anchor, draw length and or d loop to accomidate whatever I'm using at the time.as well as peep height. My refernce points remain the same as in the tip of my nose and corner of my mouth but anchor does change.

My handhelds are relatively short and for me to achieve the proper back tension and alignments, I must get the draw length longer on the bow or compensate the loop for it. Just depends on the bow and what my intended purpose is for the setup. Im an in between draw length of around 28 1/4 so going a little shorter or longer and compensating a loop is no issue.

I do prefer a wrist for hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  11. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    With my two Hardcore Max and Hardcore 4 finger. The heads are the exact same as you know, that maybe why I don't need to move peeps and such. My anchor is the exact same on both though. I don't think you'd have to move the peep though would you?

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never make any changes without setting up specifically for that equipment. Most times there is some difference, no matter how small it might be, it can make a difference.

I can change equipment and still be able to shoot but not to my maximum.

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I even go so far as setting the peep for the average distance I plan on shooting with that specific setup. Hunting setup will be set at 20 yards and when I competed in open class, I set it at 33. There is only a slight difference but there is a difference.

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For example, I just checked my hunting bow and the peep is right at 6 1/8"above the nock at static and the loop is just over 1/2" long. This bow is shot with a wrist strap. This was set at 23 yards.

I checked a bow I just setup with a slider sight and a hand held and the peep sight is right at 6 1/4" above nock and the loop is .700 long. This was set at 33 yards.

Just checked both bows and the draw length is exactly the same . The hunting bow a-a is a 1/2" shorter.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014