Chill R - feedback from owners

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jjs3, Apr 16, 2014.

1. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys I'm looking for some feedback on the Chill R for my brother in law. He's looking at the 70lb, 29.5" draw. I checked the reviews on youtube but looking for feedback from an owner here.

2. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Love mine. Many times better than the bow I had previous (14 yr old reflex). Within an hour i had it sighted out to 40yrds accurately. Anybody with more experience could have done it a lot quicker. I have no complaints at all about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Like any bow you'll hear different things from different people in regards to how much they like it or what they specifically like or do not like. For me personally, I enjoy the smooth draw that the Chill R has and the additional speed that it puts out compared to the original Chill. Having shot the original Chill last year the two bows feel very similar during the draw cycle however I believe the original wins out in terms of shot vibration.

I'll be turkey hunting this weekend and elected to go with the original Chill since I'll be in a blind and it's a bit more compact and maneuverable. Once deer hunting comes this fall and I'm not confined in a small space the Chill R will be my go-to bow simply because it's a bit quicker and more powerful.

If possible have him visit your local Mathews retailer and shoot the bow before he buys it. There's really no way to form an opinion of a bow without handling it and testing it on your own. What one person loves another may hate.

5. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot one a couple weeks ago at a local shop...I was shooting a new PSE DNA SP and decided to go shopping...I shot all the new models for 2014 except the Creed XS "to short for my taste"...At the end of the day after shooting the new Hoyts, new Elites, Bowtech RPM and the ChillR I came away liking the ChillR the best for a couple reasons...One I do like the Focus grip that comes on them and the grip is HUGE for me...Two, the draw cycle was great, the other bows I shot were all in the 60-64lbs range, the ChillR was at 70lbs and to me was smoother than everything else. So with my bad shoulders those 2 things are the most important things for me in a bow. So I called a close friend who's a dealer and he hooked me up on a new camo ChillR and it came in yesterday...Haven't shot it yet, bolted some stuff on it last night though and love the feel at 70lbs, still trying to figure out exactly what rest I'm gonna run on it but I'm very happy with it.

6. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I think its alot like the chill. But with a little more speed. Smoother draw and can hold it back all day. Shoots great. Im very happy with it and I loved the chill. Good luck.

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had one now for a few months and can say my groups are better at all yardage and as smooth a draw as I could hope for. I went to pick out a new bow and had all day to shoot Hit the Chill r first and made the purchase :lol:

8. Jimolsson7

Jimolsson7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished my first hunt with the ChillR and I definetly would recommend it. I've had mine about a month and its just as smooth and accurate as my Creed was but with much more speed. I am 6' tall and still had plenty of clearance for the top cam in the ground blind. No regrets, if he shoots one I'm sure he will love it.

9. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, you are all awesome. this is why I come to this site just about every day and don't buy anything (or anyone that asks me) without asking y'all. We're heading down to the shop tomorrow to shoot it and try it out. Thank you all very much for taking the time and giving excellent insight.

10. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which BG site do you have on it? My favorite sites by far and wonder what you would recommend. thanks!

11. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't , lol... I've been on their staff for years and always liked them but honestly right now I actually have a hard to find, Trophy Taker Heartbreaker Pro on it.
    I'm probably done with BG's staff , they've been great to me over the years but I like playing with other sights so I'll probably jump off the staff for awhile.
    Everything they make is great, let me know what your looking for in a sight and I will make some suggestions.

12. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that site is awesome! which model is it? I have the ambush with 6" dovetail on my CST cst@20.jpg

14. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HA! well it's still a pretty cool site. Nice setup and thanks again for the feedback

15. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with an Ambush on a 4" dovetail all last year on my Spyder 34... Those are really good sights. I was gonna run one again this year but I kinda like this Trophy Taker Heartbreaker, I like the rear adjust on it a lot... TT never shipped a ton of them so you don't see them a lot but I've had this one for a couple years now, well sold it to a buddy in WY and he hunted last season with it but I got it back a couple weeks ago and will probably run it this year .

16. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Mathews ChiilR a few months ago because it was so much lighter than my MR7 and quieter which I bought to up grade from my M6 so you can say I like Mathews. I like their bows and I like that it's a Christian company. So I can't compare the ChillR to other bows because I really don't shoot other bows but I did test the speed agains the MR7 on a chronograph and with 425g arrows at 67lbs the Chill'R was 300 fps and the MR7 was 297 consistently. The 70 lb limbs on the MR7 maxed out were 66lb:-/ so I set the ChillR at a cully 67lbs.
    I'm 6'2" so I love the tall axle hight and it's so light I'm starting to neglect the MR7 and only shoot Chill R.

Let me know what you guys think of the string color.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That string color looks awesome, very nice setup! I'd love to add the camera but in Idaho you're not allowed to add a camera to your bow.

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to our traditional bow hunting brethren:(. Let freeze time and all advancements in bow hunting because they like their toy bows:). So I now refuse to join any bow hunting clubs run by trad guys.

CO has the same rules and I hunted with two cameras, lighted nocks and a lighted peep on my bow for Elk season. I didn't know what a rebel I was.

19. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Outlaw.... HaHaHahahaha!!!

Very Nice Bow brother!

20. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I AGREE!!! No lighted nocks here, exactly why I have no understanding.