Where to scout and hunt on this new property any advice would help.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by solocamin1, Apr 16, 2014.

1. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so this year I just can't and won't have the money or time to hunt my families property. Now that I just moved from there and bought a house . It's now 2 hours away from where I live so im gona give it a break this year. And also after losing the 2 leases I've had for 6 years dew to the owner / farmer passed away and the property was sold. So I have a public land spot 5 min from my house it's seriously 7 blocks away it's 2292 acres im allowed to go in all year and scout or use trail cams but I can't leave stands up im also allowed to access from the river i figure this will save me a ton of money and i can spend any time i have there being its so close and learn alot by hunting as hard as i can on public land to achieve my goal.I've heard alot of guys say it's not worth hunting and there's no deer there but that can't be true I walked the whole property all last week the east side of the property there's a boarding farm with a corn feild and bean feild on the other side . It's all private but I noticed he has 9 stands up the farmer right on the line they gotta be there for a reason right ? The only spot I found rubs or scraps was on the west side right along the river where it meets the creek they look old though. And theres travel corridors everywhere through out the place and tracks everywhere So where should I scout for the best possible hunting spot for any deer bucks or does . Here's the map

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would start by locating the bedding areas and then find the travel corridors between those and the food sources. The area looks promising and from the sounds of it there are deer there so you might have a good spot. In my experience if people are actively telling you the spot is no good and you would be wasting your time than they are hiding something. My guess is they know the spot is decent and they want to keep it as secret as possible. Good luck putting the puzzle together!

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First spots that jumped out at me. Use a canoe :tu:

[​IMG]

4. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i havent found any good bedding areas yet just a small bed here and there. The only ive found where those two boarding farm feilds and the red doted area is a sun flower feild like 7 footers the big ones but cant hunt there either. No food really in the place ive found yet theres a creek that runs through the whole place also. Alot of crp grasses and deep ridges and ravines . The people ive talked to basicly given up bow hunting after hunter there for 4 to 5 years never killing anything and this is a bunch of local guys ive talked to one old guy missing almost all his teeth lol hes a die hard hunter he said it used to be awesome there but he doesnt even hunt there he said it was so pressured there would be 30 to 60 guys in there hunting at a time. Theres no limit to how many people still. He still hunts there ever once in a awhile he says but he goes to abother public spot a hour away mostly now so im thinking i just gotta figure out the best plan of atack and stick to it through out the season.

5. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that first dot on the left you made is the only spot i found with rubs every tree is tore up right there i was thinking the same thing i have a 12 foot jon boat with a 75 lb thrust trolling motor i was gona use. I also figure i get in there early like that and let the hunters push the deer to me lol .

6. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Those other 2 dots are on a gravel walking path the state made with 2 small bridges over the creek.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd take the Jon boat for a spin, and float that stream looking for huntable water crossings :tu:

8. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Im going to go in by boat on tuesday and check it out that way with my buddy. I was also thinking of putting up a cam in there but i dont wanna leave one of my good cams incase some idiot comes along. I might go buy a cheap cam for now to see whats coming through and hope no one finds it lol.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! I'm curious to see what you find.

10. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Ok i marked the map to show you a little better. The thick lines are the creek and the thin lines are the gravel path with the bridges marked on them. The r is where i found the rubs and those dots are the boarding farmers 9 stands about 25 yards apart maybe more and the one in the middle of the 9 is a giant wooden 10 x 10 hunting deck he has 15 feet off the ground home made and the square is a old old farm house with 3 walls standing only and some old farm equipment in those trees .

Attached Files:

11. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    I hope i find something. This season isnt looking to promising so far with the lose of the 2 leases i had i just moved here to be closer to them just to lose them that quickly. I hope i can have a successful season and put some meat in my freezer . All the hunters out here have me thinking i might not even get a chance at anything. I really dont like public land at all thats were i started when i began hunting and thats why we had a lease and still own property now im back there again well we will just have to see how it turns out so far not so good but you never know.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was gonna comment but Fitz nailed every spot that jumped out to me. Water entrance is gonna be key! :) Good luck!

13. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about the east side by the bean or corn feild since its the only food i found they gotta be traveling there to eat and the west side by the rubs. Most of the guys i talk to that still hunt there hunt to the right after the first bridge i marked or to the left by the point of the triangle.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How about a topo?

15. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    The map i posted is the best one ive found so far.