XOP treestands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WiRutJunkie, Apr 10, 2014.

1. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I saw the new XOP treestands at the Madison Deer Expo last weekend. It looks like the founder of Lone Wolf has started a new company. I don't know the history there so I can't comment on that but the stands look good. The biggest difference that I can see is the support post is now cast aluminum as well. Also, the seat is thicker. They look to be made as well as the LW but I am not sure on the prices yet, they are saying they are "affordable" so we shall see. Anybody else see these too or have some more info on them?

Xtreme Outdoor Products

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Believe they're made over seas which is making them more affordable. The original founder of lone wolf is involved, all his original patents owned by lone wolf expired which is why you're seeing the same design. Plan is to take his lone wolf design and improve on it. That's how I understand it at least.

3. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They look really nice. I hope the prices are reasonable.

4. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own 5 of them and paid under $120 each. Very nice stands, and as stated above, they have taken the Lone Wolf design and improved on it with a cast aluminum i-beam. The only thing I would change is the seat cushion, which will be improved on future models.

They will be coming out with cast aluminum climbing sticks next year and rumor has it they will be coming out with a stand under 7 lbs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They look like a nice stand for sure. I would like to check one out

6. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So where did you get them?

7. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    WI Deer Expo. I think they said the stands will be in stores in June.

8. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Theres a number on the website to call and order them. Im between them and the muddy vantage right now. Cant make my mind up lol. When they go to the store the med will jump to 189 fon 129 witch there are if you call them now.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say they took a design and improved on it - I'd say they took a design and copied it verbatim. With the exception of the seat post the stand is an exact replica of a Lone Wolf except they're made in China instead of the US. Slapping a different seat post on it doesn't constitute much of an "improvement".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe XOP is the company who was handling the sourcing of the LW stands when they were made in China, which ultimately lead to the debacle of having to pull the stands from shelves for quality purposes and bring manufacturing back to the US. Does anyone know if these XOP stands they're unloading for dirt cheap are leftovers from that fiasco with a few new parts tossed on them? I can't imagine they're selling new stands for $129 and making any sort of money on them given the cost of producing a cast platform, and given that they're advertising prices are going up to $189 once they're out of the current stock.

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At that price point they will sell a ton of them....

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's about time something is put out to replace lone wolf... lone wolfs are nothing but junk.

Haha, how many people wen't from normal to WTF?

I think that's one of the lone wolf's weakest areas, cost. Understandably why, but to some people who want that kind of advantage, cost is a big setback... probably the reason muddy exploded on the scene like they did.

12. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    Is it really 'copying' LW when Andrae is the one who designed it in the first place? All LW did was buy the design from Andrae and increase the prices. LW hasn't done anything to improve on that design, and I would say they've taken a step backward with the new Alpha Tech. The cast aluminum i-beam is quieter, so I would consider that a small improvement.

As for the chinese stuff, I don't know the facts, but what I've heard is that XOP bought up the remaining chinese LWs and were selling them under the LW name. I don't know if Andrae was involved with XOP at that time, but I'm pretty sure when he sold LW to the new owners, he kept the rights to the LW name and is able to sell products under that name. Again, I do not know that as a fact, just what I've heard/read.

I love my LW and will continue to use it for mobile hunts, but for pre-hung stands the new XOP Silver Series is pretty tough to beat.

13. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is an explaination from their site.

XOP News

14. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cost one of the main reasons of why I don't own lone wolf. Many people just cannot afford a $200-$300 stand.

15. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Andre is one brilliant dude with a lot of integrity! I'm sure his son learned a thing or two from him and will expand his own knowledge and integrity with todays technology. Looking forward to seeing what Cody can do.

16. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The cost isn't bad for what it is. For me it is more priority. I need other things more than I need another stand.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a Lone Wolf stand with a Muddy seat added to it.