Drop away vs Whisker biscuit?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Turkeysniper511, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used the diamond verson of whisker biscuit before and i wasnt faund of it. Now i have a trophy taker classic dropaway a freind gave me that ive been using. I love the rest but Wondering out of them two which do u all like. I know its my descision but i like seeng peoples opinions. Because i have a brand new whisker buiscuit im not using but wondering if i should try it out cuz its the actual trophy ridge regular whisker buiscut so im just wanting opinins. Lol

2. cayotehunter

cayotehunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of guys prefer drow aways because of their accuracy and quietness. I prefer the whisker biscuit because i hunt high altitude mountainous terrain and i like to be able to nock an arrow and forget about it. Also its one less thing to potentially fail. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would take almost any drop away before a Whisker Biscuit or any similar model. I have never been a fan of that style. The wear unevenly, cause slight drag when vanes pass though if full biscuit. I would go with a drop away! Now saying that it really doesn't mean a thing what I think so go with what you like best and feel most comfortable with!

4. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Whisker Biscuit on my first bow and when I bought my Mathews the shop suggested going to a drop away rest. I have to say that I like the drop away rest much more. It is more accurate and there seems to be less wear and tear on the vanes of my arrows, as well as the arrows themselves.

5. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Drop away, without question

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Drop away! It does no damage to the fletching

8. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD HDX for the win!

9. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Qad hdx

10. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do yourself a favor a try the whisker biscuit...that's the only way you'll know.
    I've shot every kind - and for whitetail hunting I can see why those would favor a drop a way (one shot, bow hangs ready to shoot, arrow already loaded when encounter an animal, in a treestand, etc). BUT, if you ever do some real spot and stalk hunting, especially in rugged and/or thick terrain...that is wear the WB shines. I tried the NAP apache and QAD rests...and always made fun of the WB...until I tried it. I'll never shoot another rest. Blazer vanes eliminate all the things people complain about on WB. I shoot my bow more than 95% of all archers, rest has 1000's of shots thru it - not even close to needing replaced, and have never damaged a vane.

Good vid about accuracy of WB - same that I experience with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbefCoY71Os

Bottom line, form your own opinion...and shoot whatever makes you most confident!

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every year I hunt in snow and freezing rain. For that and many other reasons, I avoid the WB. All of it's advantages can be found in a drop aways.

12. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wb are foolproof and easy on the wallet. Keep it simple stupid system always shines thru when you are hunting.

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This is my thought as well.

There was a time when full containment rests were limited, and many drop aways were lacking there. There are many full containment offerings from companies manufacturing drop away style rests now a days it makes it an easier decision, imho.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am a first time user of the QAD HDX moving away from the WB and have been pleased with my decision. Great rest.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I had a dedicated hunting rig it would have a WB. I would shoot it some but, not all the time like I do now. Problem is I can't afford two bows right now. I don't use a drop away and am not a fan of them. Yes, they are great and I won't say I wouldn't go back to one. I use a target rest (Bodoodle) for everything right now.

I hear people say you loose speed with a WB. It's only about 3fps. People say they damage vanes. They do. If you shoot a lot. I've heard people say they are a tuning nightmare. To me they were easy to tune. No timing issues or any of the other issues I've heard and had with drop aways. If an archer has experience tuning most of the issues with a drop away are easy to fix.

If you shoot a lot, a WB may not be for you but, you should at least give it a try. You have it so why not mount it, tune it and shoot it. Then form your own opinion.

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used both....I don't care for WB. Love my QAD HDX and NAP Apache.