Brutal fenced in hunting practices

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tkarrow, Apr 6, 2014.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  2. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's propaganda, I would be willing to bet the story is full of holes. With phrases like, "according to witnesses" this is a hit piece hoping for reactions like yours with no fact behind them. These authors ultimate goal is to ban all hunting. Once they get rid of the preserves, which I could never do myself, they will rewrite this same story about you and I or any other hunter in a fair chase scenario.

3. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While this may be true, I can fully imagine this sort of pathetic behavior exists and in many places is permitted and encouraged. This all stems from trophy hunting which is rampantly encouraged by media and needs to stop. Any successful hunt should be considered a blessing and the meat from the hunt should be the ultimate goal.

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agrre that its BS. This is the liberal media attempting another black eye for us law biding honest hunters. Makes me sick that this garbage even gets published!! GROMMEL.

5. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trophy hunting may be promoted by the media but it is human nature. Part of everybody is wanting to one up the other guy, that will never change. That being said, I proudly call myself a "trophy hunter" but I choose to target as big of bucks as I can because it is more challenging to do. I do enjoy the meat very much but by no means do I live off of it. I try to promote enjoying the whole process of bowhunting with the deer being the icing on the cake. The size of the deer that meets "trophy" requirements is truly up to the hunter and I begrudge no one for shooting an animal they are happy with, whether it is a basket rack or a booner.

6. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While you may say that the authors ultimate goal is to put a bad name on all hunting, it's still disturbing that they are drugging, and trapping the animals in seriously tight quarters. My opinion on high fence hunting may differ from you guys. There is a difference between thousands of acres, and a single acre. This farm is pathetic, and should be shut down entirely. Scum.

7. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no doubt that this kind of stuff goes on. I hunted ducks with a guy that raises deer for these high dollar high fence operations. Some good money in that, i can only imagine what these operations are getting paid to shoot the deer. Not my cup of tea but if thats what gets your rocks off shooting some huge hand feed pet deer in a pen to brag about....knock yourself out.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sickening!!

9. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How could anyone feel good after shooting a deer in a 1-acre fence? What do they tell their friends when they show them the mount? " yea got that one in a one acre fenced in hunt"

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

X2....

11. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's outrageous and sickening. How do people think that's worth thousands of dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I suggest you read the entire story. The author is a lifelong hunter and the overriding theme of the story is the threat of disease(s) transferring from these farms to the wild herd.

13. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You nailed it man

14. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it was truly a story of this one game farm in Indiana why didn't they put the name in the story? I believe the author of the story has a bug up his butt about the transportation of the animals for some reason because the that was most of the story. I don't really care if people go to these places or that the places make money doing it to each their own we all have to make money. I don't see any proof that any animals were mis-treated in this story.

15. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    "I don't see any proof that any animals were mis-treated in this story." - Drugging a deer and propping them up when they are so sick they can't stand on their own?

16. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
    They didn't specifically mention the name of the farm, that I recall, but they did interview the owner.

Did you watch the video that shows how they extract semen from the bucks? If that isn't mistreatment then I don't know what is.

17. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Other than an anonymous witness, there is no proof. Even if it were true, how is that any different than the way cattle or pigs are slaughtered. While I would never want to slaughter a cow, i am not going to begrudge the people who do, and I sure am not going to look at my burger any different knowing it came from a cow who was raised just to be slaughtered. Its a propaganda hit piece on hunting. For the record I could never do a canned hunt, thankfully noone forces me to partake in one.

18. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
    There are videos showing them prop up a deer with a stick so someone can shoot it, seems like proof to me.

Again, read the entire story and watch the accompanying videos before you cast off the article as anti-hunting.

Knowing the author personally, I can assure you that he did not do this as a hit piece on hunting.

19. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    If you are seeing cattle slaughtered in the above mentioned please report it. Below is a link for you to become familiar with what is right and wrong.

The great thing with cattle is there are these laws to follow and with wildlife there is another set of rules. The deer farmers are creating their own set of rules and we see what is happening.

https://awic.nal.usda.gov/governmen...ces/federal-laws/humane-methods-slaughter-act

20. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The story is true but it happened like 10 years ago. It's the incident that involved that fisherman tool Jimmy Houston.
    Google Russ Bellar, Jimmy Houston. It's all there.