Personal experience with crossbows destroys any notion of "wrong vs right"

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those of you that know me know I have hunted with my father for 26 years..........side by side we have walked, climbed and sat through every weather condition and temperature you could ever encounter. From the day I unwrapped my 870 under the tree to countless lunches on the tailgate.........hustling state land to be the hero of the day by bagging a 6pt all the way to the comforts of our cabin now and hundreds of acres to ourselves with food plots, elevated blinds, 30+ stand choices and some pretty good bucks roaming the hills. It's been a looooooong ride and I (along with my 2 brothers and my dad) have enjoyed every moment of it. I can still remember the look on my dad's face when he came crashing through the woods after hearing me shoot for the first time......half panicked/scared quickly washed away to elation upon seeing a nice doe was the recipient of the shot :)

Dad secretly suffered through anxiety with 3 young boys scattered through the state forest but we loved it so much and the good times were so much fun he just kept it to himself......we never knew he would just go to his spot and and feel nauseous every time a shot rang out with the only cure being loading all 3 of his boys safely in the truck to return home to mom. Just another in a long line of sacrifices dad made for us because it was best for US......even if not for him.

Dad spent his life in the steel mill and his body paid for it. Neck surgery caused early retirement/disability but his quality of life is still good. As we all grew up and financially we stepped up in the deer hunting world one factor kept us apart...........dad could shoot a bow he just couldn't shoot one repeatedly enough to practice. Archery was out because NY laws prohibited them. Dad would stay at the cabin and still be a great part of the season but when we headed out dad had to stay at the cabin.

Without going any further that is just wrong on so many levels......my dad is 67 and he has been hunting since he was 18. He is the straightest arrow you will ever meet and has never broken a game law.......he has contributed thousands of dollars in license fees and passed this great tradition on to his three boys. To legally prevent him from hunting the game he has loved for almost 50 years for ANY reason is ridiculous......because he was injured?? Beyond comprehension.

Upon the news that crossbows will be allowed in ny (announcement pending) I called my dad in Florida by FaceTime on my iPad to tell him. The smile on his face was priceless. He is so excited he wants to come home early and start "getting ready" LOL. He is a little miffed about the cost of xbows but he's just an old fart about anything that costs over $20.

We treasure every second we get to hunt with dad...........the fact that a stupid law kept us from doing that for years now makes me incredibly angry in hindsight.

I have another friend who is an injured Vietnam vet who is beside himself with excitement as well about getting back in the woods.

The thought of some negatives to crossbows isn't lost on me but if I'm being honest those reasons are selfish at best.

No one could or will ever convince me that crossbows for deer hunting are "wrong" after this personal experience.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always thought hate directed towards crossbow hunters was a bit absurd anyway. A jackass with a crossbow is the same jackass with a bow or a rifle or a crossbow. Some people are just that way no matter what they are hunting with.

I'm glad to read this story knowing a good guy will have a chance to beat a disability and get back into a hunting tradition that is so well deserved!

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good story, but I still believe an able bodied hunter should not use a crossbow during archery season.

4. arrowjunkie

arrowjunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story, I can only imagine how anxious he is!

5. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad he could get back out there! Great story, and sounds like it's become a whole family tradition. Good luck this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Aralbright25

Aralbright25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome and inspiring story. I can't wait to forge the same memories with my son and daughters (if they'll take to it that is). G'luck on the upcoming season. Crossbows definitely serve a purpose to those that aren't able, for whatever reason, to draw a bow.

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, can imagine this years season will be great for you guys.

8. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad your Dad will be able to enjoy hunting again. For the record, I have always been an advocate for those who are disabled or suffered an injury to be able to use a crossbow.

9. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cougar, who's gonna decide who is injured or disabled enough to be allowed to use a crossbow? It's a huge can of worms that really should not be opened. The way I see it, if you can't draw a bow, you can't bowhunt. We all have things we want to be able to do, but for whatever reason, cannot. Life is full of disappointments.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Doctors do in most states. Not that freaking difficult.

Ky has been doing that for years.

Now xbows have their own season and that shouldn't be an issue with anyone.

The fact that atlas dad couldn't hunt during the archery season is just a joke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story thanks for sharing and I also believe crossbows should be for people with disabilities. If you can climb a tree, use a string and stick!! God Bless, GROMMEL.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

Glad I don't hang out with narrow minded people, such as yourself.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    So, you're saying that my nephew shouldn't be allowed to hunt because he can't pull back a bow?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty awesome.

I can't belive even stuff like this brings up the "manliness" of compound bow hunting. Grow up girls, stop worrying about what and how everyone else does something.

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy your time with your father Atlas, he's going to love it. My dad killed his first buck with any archery equipment last fall, a crossbow.

[​IMG]

16. Dusty_Hunts

Dusty_Hunts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    for this reason and this reason alone I am FOR crossbows. Its when your at an outdoor shop and see a eighteen or nineteen year old kid ask the clerk to "teach me how to sight in my scope" on his crossbow that I have the problem with. Unless you have shoulder problems, getting up there in age, or some other medical reason, hang up with point and shoot and get a regular bow. crossbows to me are a way for your dad and the older guys to still enjoy the sport cause pulling and holding 60 lbs can be hard. Wish PA would put the medical restriction back on crossbows

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Someone hunting with a crossbow has NO bearing on my success in the woods or opportunities.

Long Live the Hunt.

18. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story!...

Personally I never liked crossbows.

Having said that I own one.

Why??
    It allowed my son to hunt with me during archery season at a time when he was not able to pull the 40lbs minimum required by law for big game.

Second, my dad who's now 71 can also hunt with me during archery moose season using that same crossbow.

I know ''purists'' will disagree about sharing the pre-seasons, I sometimes do when I see ''stupid people'' using a crossbow just like a rifle, shooting 5-6 arrows (as annual practice) the day before season's opening.

But, when used properly, by choice or by necessity... I'm all for it!

19. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Richard........ who are you to decide that if you can't draw a bow you can't bow hunt?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

20. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live seeing these pictures of your nephew! The smile on his face is priceless! And I'll never get tired of seeing them.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk