How much will shooting from my stand change my accuracy?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bigtwitch_59, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Bigtwitch_59

Bigtwitch_59 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering, new to this and my grouping still needs some work. getting it sighted in was a epic battle lol, once I figured out to chase the arrow that sped it up. Is it going to be greatly different in my stand/blind. I normally hunt from one of the two. also will shoot through windows change my shot path?

Thx for helping a rookie to the bowhunting game. I should of started this awhile ago just shooting is addicting and I already love to hunt...looking like my ol lady is gonna be lonely this hunting season lol

2. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It wont change much at all shooting elevated and flat i shot at both to practice and nothing changes for me. But shooting thru blind screens can change the path and speed of your arrow.

3. Bigtwitch_59

Bigtwitch_59 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man I was iffy on using shoot through screens not worth missing a deer for the extra cover. Ill be nervous enough don't need outside variables to make matters worse.

4. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i never have or will shoot thru one with a bow but i dont really use blinds much either. If i do i like the half style blinds with no windows. But i primarily hunt out of a stand.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting from your stand won't change much at all, unless you're 45 feet up in the tree and the animal is less than 20 yards from the base.

Shoot through mesh will not change the flight of your arrow at all out to at least 50 yards if you are shooting a fixed blade broadhead. Mechanicals can be a different story.

It always amazes me at how many people are afraid to shoot through the mesh but have a whisker biscuit style rest on their bow. :poke:

6. Bigtwitch_59

Bigtwitch_59 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a mech broadhead is there a chance my killzones will deploy because of the mesh?

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on your form. If you're dropping your arm to aim instead of bending at the waist maintaining proper T form, it can make a big difference. If done properly, it will make no difference so it's really up to you to practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

8. richard932

richard932 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't shoot a mech through mesh window. If you can set up a treestand in your back yard set a target a 20-25 yards. And bend at your hip. If your hunting out of ground blind pop it up get your chair set up start flinging arrows. Good luck

9. Bigtwitch_59

Bigtwitch_59 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All my stands are already in the woods lol I think ill go to my local 3d coarse and give that a go. Any suggestions on targets to buy? Ic they aren't cheap so id like to get one that will be the best bang for my buck.

10. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes...

11. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ This^^^
    I actually experimented with both not bending and bending and the difference was very noticeable. The problem seemed to be the way the string dropping down away changed my anchor point. It was not as noticeable with a peep.

12. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking for a good block target ?

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bigtwitch - I shoot through my blind's mesh. No problems - because I shoot a cut-on-contact broadhead - see my set-up below. (Do NOT shoot mechanical BH's through mesh).

Dubbya's response was spot-on.

14. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The BH does not go through my WB. Just the feathers.

15. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You have to practice, exactly as you will be hunting, same stand height, same clothing, and especially those steep shots in close, you need to practice bending at the waist. I'm lucky, I have a steep drop off right behind my house where I can be 30' above a target that is less than 20 yards horizontally away. Friends who come over to shoot ALWAYS shoot right over the deer target with their first shot. It opens their eyes to their need to practice from up high.

16. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My experience is exactly the same.Shooting out of a 16 foot stand I range animal and use according pin and aim at the heart.If said animal reacts to the shot I will almost always be in kill zone.

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Correct, but your vanes don't touch the mesh either, because of how big the hole is from the broadhead and the way fletchings lay down at the shot. Every part of your fletch is contacted when it goes through the WB and that's the part that is supposed to "steer" your arrow.

18. Bigtwitch_59

Bigtwitch_59 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    solocamin1- yes a good block target.

19. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Things are going to look a bit further than they actually are because of the elevated stand.
    On solid ground the stance isn't moving. In the tree there can be movement anytime from the tree which does affect the shot.
    Aim through the deer. In other words, Aim at the lowest spot that you can take out both lungs. If the deer reacts you should still catch the top of the lungs.

20. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It does make a difference - like some have previously stated, you need to practice how you will hunt. Although, I always hunt from a climber, I never practice from it, but based on experience and shooting 3D, if you're shooting from and elevated position, your arrow will hit high (if sighted in on flat ground) depending on how high you are and how far your target is. It could be 1/2" high to 6", I don't suspect it will be any more than that. Since you are starting out, I would definitely recommend that you get those groups from level ground pretty tight, then get up how high you're going to hunt and shoot at different distances so you can see the difference in trajectory. Good luck man, it will be fun